BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Comparing Winter Pirellis

Just noticed that Tire Rack now has both Pirelli Sotto Zero IIs and Carving Edge Winter tires for my staggered 19s -- had to go with un-staggered last year to get the Sotto Zero IIs.

Anyone have experience with both of the tires above? My inclination is to go for the Sotto Zero IIs again.

I live in what I think is the Southern part of the Snow Belt. We tend to get some snow. When it comes it tends to melt and refreeze creating icy conditions without additional snow for extended periods and we have limited road treatment as we don't usually get heavy snow. Some years we get "large" snow storms that immobilize the area due to our limited capacity to respond (and that so many have no clue how to drive).

My thought is the Sotto Zeros will be less aggressive, and be more comfortable on all those days w/o any real weather to deal with and the that Carving Edge would get chewed up by all that clear, warmer pavement.

Anyone with related experience? Thoughts on the thinking above?
      09-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I think it's important to consider your local conditions as you noted Nohoa.

Have a look at the attached from the most recent consumer's reports.
Attached Images

09-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #3
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

I ran with the sottozero's last winter and it only snowed once! They were the only ones I could get last winter. I'm going to be changing over soon. I'd have gone for the staggered setup if it had been available. Since 2004 I have used Blizzaks in the winter on my '96 911 C4 Cab, '03 FX45 and '08 335XI coupe with outstanding results. I'd have gone with the Blizzaks again if they had been available.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ended up going with the staggered Pirelli Sotto Zero IIs. For me, having the RFTs is a definite plus so I was going with those one way or the other. Had the same last year on inexpensive non-staggered wheels. The drive is noticeably better so far (just on dry clear, warm, roads so far!!) with the OEM wheels in the staggered setup.
      10-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Nahoa,
Did you go with stock (staggered ) width for the snows or did ya get slightly narrower rubber?
      10-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Stock staggered. We spend so much more time w/o snow here that solution fit better. These are mostly to get me through the "storms" some would laugh at, but that we're not equipped to clear, when I still need to get in to work. Well, and the slushy and sometimes icy bits after a storm. Lots and lots of clear road days, though. We usually get a couple inches at a time, but every other year or so we seem to get a storm or two that's quite a bit bigger and our limited (appropriately) system is just overwhelmed.

Last year I went with the "square" 19's so all were the same width as the OEM fronts on the sport setup. Tires were fine, but it seems that cheaper (presumably heavier?) wheels had an impact on drivability.
      10-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Non-OEM wheels for the staggerd stance?
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No, same wheels (the 309s) just put the Winter tires on the wheels that came with the car (which were the staggered 19's with the Sport Package at the time).