BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

BMW Cleaning Products

I got a few products in a cool bag as part of the Seal & Protect package.

In particular the wheel cleaner is very good - it turns brake dust purple and cleans wheels up really well, much better than the Megs stuff that I had been using previously.

The tyre shine spray is also really good - though it says to only use a maximum of 4 times a year (No idea why?)

Not sure on the interior cleaning spray though.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

I use BMW's rim cleaner on my wheels; turns pinky/red when cleaning and does a great job - and it smells good too!
      06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
I use BMW's rim cleaner on my wheels; turns pinky/red when cleaning and does a great job - and it smells good too!
That's the stuff. Did you buy this from a dealership of did you get it with part of the seal and protect pack?
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
osxcode
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: The M's

I really like the leather protectant, I think it's called leather lotion but it works great and doesn't have any weird unusual smell

2016 BMW X5 ///M
2016 BMW M4 ///M Convertible

aLatteHotte - www.aLatteHotte.com - The Future of Coffee
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
That's the stuff. Did you buy this from a dealership of did you get it with part of the seal and protect pack?
From a dealer, but have also bought in on Amazon through the BMW Direct store.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/browse.ht...A2LSLB2WWMB182
      06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool - thanks for that link.

£11 a bottle, ouch. It is good though...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

Interestingly enough, I have also recently started to experiment with original BMW car care products.

The car wash shampoo is great, smell good and generous amount of foam, better than the Turtle brand, or even AutoGlym (just the shampoo).

I have also the leather treatment lotion, it gives a good coat on the seat especially around the bolster where crease are likely to happen.

The challenge now is how to control my addiction with BMW original products - wheel cleaner, glass cleaner...

One thing I will not try is the polish or wax, I'm religious with AutoGlym when it comes to polishing.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
Interestingly enough, I have also recently started to experiment with original BMW car care products.

The car wash shampoo is great, smell good and generous amount of foam, better than the Turtle brand, or even AutoGlym (just the shampoo).

I have also the leather treatment lotion, it gives a good coat on the seat especially around the bolster where crease are likely to happen.

The challenge now is how to control my addiction with BMW original products - wheel cleaner, glass cleaner...

One thing I will not try is the polish or wax, I'm religious with AutoGlym when it comes to polishing.
I don't know if I have the leather care stuff - if it comes with the S&P pack then I do...

How often should you apply it?

I used to use Gliptone in my Volvo because it bought out that nice leather smell. I don't in the X3 however want to get rid of that nice 'New Car' smell...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

Quote:

How often should you apply it?
I didn't pay attention to the fine print on the box, so far I have applied one moderate coat, it gives a matt finish and may be even some anti-wrinkle effect if you ask me. But right now is more preventive than corrective as my car is still only 9 months old.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
I didn't pay attention to the fine print on the box, so far I have applied one moderate coat, it gives a matt finish and may be even some anti-wrinkle effect if you ask me. But right now is more preventive than corrective as my car is still only 9 months old.
Is any protection applied to leather at the factory? I have heated front and rear seats and have heard that this can cause leather to crack if the leather isn't fed.

If it's advisable, I will treat my seats tomorrow even though my car is less than 2 weeks old.

Interesting to know that you think it has anti-wrinkle properties... I guess it just makes the leather softer and keeps it nourished.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Ditto.

It did wonders on my motorcycle rims and on my wife's Acura rims as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeltzer View Post
      06-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
c3uo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

I had thought a lot of the BMW products were made by Sonax if you want to save some money (may be same price - I really hadn't looked as a Zaino guy).

http://www.sonax.com/Car-Care/Produc...es-Rims-Rubber
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
mac10
Private
England
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo (SOLD)!

Quote:
Is any protection applied to leather at the factory? I have heated front and rear seats and have heard that this can cause leather to crack if the leather isn't fed.

If it's advisable, I will treat my seats tomorrow even though my car is less than 2 weeks old.

Interesting to know that you think it has anti-wrinkle properties... I guess it just makes the leather softer and keeps it nourished.
Hi stumblingtrout,
AFAIK plastic film is applied to the leather (Dakota / Nevada). This is why it is so hard wearing.
I use Gliptone on the leather (at least I think that is what it is called)....it gives the fresh leather smell BUT....if the leather has a plastic film on the surface then you cannot be feeding it surely!
This came up on another forum, that is where I was informed of the plastic film being inpregnated on the surface.
I cannot see if feed is applied to the surface of the leather that it would make the leather any more supple or even stop it cracking, heated seat or no heated seat! You would just be rubbing it into the plastic film!
No doubt someone will come on with another point of view though.
regards
Mac10
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #14
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
Hi stumblingtrout,
AFAIK plastic film is applied to the leather (Dakota / Nevada). This is why it is so hard wearing.
I use Gliptone on the leather (at least I think that is what it is called)....it gives the fresh leather smell BUT....if the leather has a plastic film on the surface then you cannot be feeding it surely!
This came up on another forum, that is where I was informed of the plastic film being inpregnated on the surface.
I cannot see if feed is applied to the surface of the leather that it would make the leather any more supple or even stop it cracking, heated seat or no heated seat! You would just be rubbing it into the plastic film!
No doubt someone will come on with another point of view though.
regards
Mac10
Doing some research, the Seal & Protect kit comes with the following items:

* Hard wax with nanotechnology (250ml)
* Leather lotion with UV protection (250ml)
* Impregnating agent for upholstery and carpets (250ml)
* Concetrated windscreen cleaner (50ml)
* 3 x polishing cloth

So the impregnating agent is applied to cloth seats and carpets, but leather seats are only conditioned??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Some good info on cleaning here:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510026

Bilberry Wheel Cleaner is the same pink smelly stuff and probably cheaper. Have been using it for 2 years and it's awesome
Appreciate 0