BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
TYGIXXER60
Rep
Drives: 06 X3 3.0I

P16a1 Reving By Itsself Stalling, Please Help Bad Dme???

HEY GUYS, BOUGHT A 06 X3 3.0I WITH 124K FROM AUCTION FOR MY WIFE, AND WHEN I GOT IT IT WAS FALL, SEMI WARM, I LIVE IN NH, DIDNT DRIVE IT TO MUCH, HAD A PROBLEM WHERE YOU WOULD START IT AND IT WOULD RUN FOR 20 SECONDS AND STALL, THEN IT WOULD HAPPEN A COUPLE MORE TIMES THEN IT WAS GOOD THE REST OF THE DAY TILL THE NEXT MORNING, SO EVRY COLD START, WHEN IT WOULD HAPPEN THE BRAKE TRACTION AND CEL POPPED UP,
P16A1 DME INTERNAL FAULT

SO AD WINTER PROGRESSED IT WOULD DO THE SAME EXCEPT THE COLDER IT GOT THE WORST AND NOW ITS IN 0 TO NEGITIVE TEMPS AND WHEN YOU START IT IT JUST REVES UP 500RPM TO 3500RPM BY ITSSELF AND YOU CANT CONTROL THE THROTTLE , AND IT STALLS AFTER 30 SECONDS OR SO. CEL FLASHES. WHOOPS caps were on lol,

it does that till its completly warmed up then does it again till its cooled off,
i just replaced the iac and throttle body cuz there such a comon issue i figured why not, didnt help at all,

now i looked at dme and the less expensive ones are 1200 bucks, also my friend who is a bmw tech forever, told me you have to get new cant get used, but theres a million used dmes on ebay for 100 bucks and i emailed a few and they said they sell all the time and customers just have the dealer re porgram them, now my buddy just bought the computer to reprogram so if thats true im good with a used one,''

so my question is has anyone ran into this? ive looked and looked and seems no one has

and can you use a used dme?

thanks you guys
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Did a quick Google search and found a guy w a 330i with similar problem a couple of yrs ago.
In his case it was a combo of faults: Wire harness and DME.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=800403

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0