BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
eliw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2012

Pirelli tires replacement warranty - THIS RUNFLAT CRAP IS A SCAM

hello

Got a nail in one of my run flat Pirelli P7s - unrepairable so need a replacement (only done 3000 miles with it).

I have seen a warranty bulletin from Pirelli stating that if the car is less than a year old and injury happen to the tire they will cover replacement under warranty.

Does this apply to UK cars ? If yes what is the procedure please ?

Here is the bulletin : http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/p...atWarranty.pdf

Last edited by eliw; 04-12-2013 at 09:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Check with your Pirelli dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Do you have a pirelli dealer? Mines came from the BMW dealers... and I'm also very interested in this topic, as I have the same tires, and been reading all the other alarmist threads on runflats...
      04-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
eliw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2012

My tyres came with the car not from a pirelli dealer...

So as no answers about the above were forthcoming I had to take the plunge and replace the tyre at a cost of £250 (lucky as they normally go for £320)

This run flat crap is a scam to be honest - it is a way for tyres manufacturers to increase their revenues to a new level never seen before.

The nail I had was in the middle of the tyre... a standard model would have been repaired and lasted another 20000 miles, in my case, after the low pressure sign came on, I only was on the run flat for about 20 miles before stopping at a shop where they were happy to inspect the tyre and advise if it was repairable... the walls inside the tyre were completely dead with bubbles all over so only option was replacement..

If all cars become like this, it will push motorist to rebel so I don't see why we should accept this shit.

BMW should offer the option for non run flats with a a spare- simple as that.

Last edited by eliw; 04-12-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I picked up a small nail in the center of my right rear tire. My independent mechanic had no problem repairing the tire. I asked him what would have been his advice if the nail had been on the edge of the tire, where neither one of us would have been comfortable repairing it. His response was that given that I drive an AWD vehicle, and that I have RFT, he would have recommended that I replace all four tires.

The tires in question are my winter tires, which will be swapped out in three weeks. Depending on tread depth, all four tires may be history anyway, or I may consider using them for one more winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I think this helps explain why run flats are so expensive. Somebody has to pay for all those tires with only 3000 miles on them that have to be thrown away.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

New car warranties never cover tires. The tire manufacturer's warranty does. Regarding BMW's road hazard warranty, I bet when they replace a Pirelli tire, for example, within the first year they are reimbursed by Pirelli under their standard RFT warranty. The owner could have just as well gotten a free tire directly from Pirelli. Makes the road hazard warranty look a little less valuable.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

As I understand it, if you drive on a deflated run flat for any length of time beyond just coming to a stop as soon as the warning comes on, it's a goner.

The only advantages you get are that it could save your life when trying to repair a flat somewhere dangerous like a motorway hard shoulder; or if you had a blow out at speed then a run flat may prevent an accident

The price you pay is higher cost per tyre, worse ride, extra weight and more replacements required because they often can't be repaired (and some say they are more likely to get punctures although not sure if this is true).

All of that said, if you have something like DynaPlug you can sometimes plug holes quickly and avoid having to replace the tyre. Worth carrying something like it as it could save you the cost of a new tyre

Not sure on the policy details for tyre insurance but my concern would be that some policies don't cover the full cost of expensive run flats or the fitting/balance and you'd usually have to replace the tyre on the opposite side (or even all 4!) and only the damaged tyre is covered. Not sure if what happens with worn tyres either. Would they give you full new price on a damaged tyre that was down to less than 3mm?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

I purchased the tire insurance when I got my X3. This past winter BMW replaced 3 of my winter tires, 2 of which had punctures that probably were repairable. At this rate my winter tires will never wear out.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
neelkc12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: x3

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Mechanic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
I picked up a small nail in the center of my right rear tire. My independent mechanic had no problem repairing the tire. I asked him what would have been his advice if the nail had been on the edge of the tire, where neither one of us would have been comfortable repairing it. His response was that given that I drive an AWD vehicle, and that I have RFT, he would have recommended that I replace all four tires.

The tires in question are my winter tires, which will be swapped out in three weeks. Depending on tread depth, all four tires may be history anyway, or I may consider using them for one more winter.
=========
It would great if you could share your independent mechanic info with us.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkc12 View Post
=========
It would great if you could share your independent mechanic info with us.

This particular indy is in Bedford, someone who I've used for years for my domestic cars. Not a BMW indy though.

My BMW indy is DRW Motorsports in Boxborough.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliw View Post
My tyres came with the car not from a pirelli dealer...

So as no answers about the above were forthcoming I had to take the plunge and replace the tyre at a cost of £250 (lucky as they normally go for £320)

This run flat crap is a scam to be honest - it is a way for tyres manufacturers to increase their revenues to a new level never seen before.

The nail I had was in the middle of the tyre... a standard model would have been repaired and lasted another 20000 miles, in my case, after the low pressure sign came on, I only was on the run flat for about 20 miles before stopping at a shop where they were happy to inspect the tyre and advise if it was repairable... the walls inside the tyre were completely dead with bubbles all over so only option was replacement..

If all cars become like this, it will push motorist to rebel so I don't see why we should accept this shit.

BMW should offer the option for non run flats with a a spare- simple as that.
Let me get this correctly, you run-on-flat (as a run-flat allows) and then you reckon the whole thing is a scam?

As I see it, you used up the run-on-flat capacity, getting to the tyre shop 20 miles away, exactly as the tyre is designed to do. Remember you could have been running low for far longer than the triggered low pressure, with our indirect Tyre Puncture Warning System (TPWS) we have in the UK.

What is the real problem? A conventional tyre would have got you a few metres and likely disintegrated.

Some X3 models do come with non run-flats as standard or optional.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

You think Run Flats are crap. I have the stock 17" non run flat on my 30d, if I get a punctured tyre I'm meant to inject the tyre with the BMW injection system. I presume most tyre repair centres will not repair a tyre that has been treated this way. So I'll be in the same boat.
BMW- please give me the option for a space saver.

Last edited by philtrick123; 04-16-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

So its not really a runflat problem but the lack of a spare.
Appreciate 0