BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-26-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
2014 X3 35i M Sport Ordered!

I placed the order today for the replacement for my current 2011 335i M Sport in LeMans Blue over Saddle Brown leather (an absolutely flawless car that has been completely trouble free) - a 2014 X3 35i M Sport in BSM over Chestnut leather. I haven't gotten a production number yet, but I should have that soon. I just wish I could have gotten this before this terrible winter we've had here! As is, I should receive it around the end of April - just in time for warm weather. Oh, well. She'll be great to drive in warm weather, too!

Anyway, I literally ordered every option except the Driver Assistance Plus package (I typically order most every option - I like the gadgets). For those interested in pricing, I got it for $1K over invoice. I know I could have gotten a better price had I been willing to travel further then 15 minutes from my house, but this dealership has always been good to me and I don't mind paying a little more for good service, guaranteed loaners, and good people. Plus, after my $750 loyalty credit and $500 for the Turn-Key Lease First Payment Credit Program, I really paid $250 under invoice. Plus, I am taking delivery with only ~$340 out of pocket. Oh, and I still have $500 coming to me from the BMW CCA for purchasing a new BMW. All in all, I think I did pretty well.

I will update this post when I get my production number and throughout the production and delivery. Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update 4/6: I just checked my production number on the BMW website and it looks like my car is out of production now. However, there may be a problem. I wanted the Glossy Black roof rails, but a check of my VIN at BMWVIN.com shows my car having the Satin Aluminum roof rails. I hope that site is just wrong, because Satin Aluminum roof rails would be a deal-breaker: I would refuse delivery and reorder. I have just emailed my CA and let him know this, so he is checking on it now. At least the order-production-delivery process goes fast, if I have to order again!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

BMWVin is often inaccurate when it comes to MSports (for some reason, they often erroneously show them as having satin aluminum roof rails).

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2010 View Post
BMWVin is often inaccurate when it comes to MSports (for some reason, they often erroneously show them as having satin aluminum roof rails).
Good to know! I was hoping someone would say that. Thanks!

I bet the car is correct, in that case. My CA has been very thorough, so I would be surprised if it was ordered incorrectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update 4/13: Unfortunately, the bmwvin.com website was correct. My car did, in fact, arrive with the hideous looking Satin Aluminum roof rails. They look terrible on the BSM car, IMHO. I am now agonizing over making them reorder my car, or just letting them swap them out. My CA told me they have installed the rails many times on X3's that didn't come with any and further stated there haven't been any problems. Of course he would say that, though.

I am concerned about them having to remove my headliner to do the swap, which could lead to sagging, extra rattles and noises, and other potential issues. I am also worried about leaks, since the rails are bolted on right through the roof. I really like my CA and my dealership, but I am seriously considering making them reorder my X3. Looks like I have a tough decision to make in the next 36 hours, or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update 4/14: Okay, I went back to the dealership today to really take a close look at those Satin Aluminum roof rails without my CA hanging over my shoulder. Yeah, my first impressions were correct: the Satin Aluminum looks very out of place on an otherwise all black vehicle. In fact, I think it looks terrible. Hideous. Cheap. Others may love the look, but I certainly do not.

So, what to do? I am not interested in having them swap them out, I've decided. Too much potential for other problems (leaks, rattles, saggy headliner, whatever). Therefore, I have just sent my CA an email stating they will have to reorder my X3. I can't wait to hear what he says when he reads the email tomorrow. I expect a call about 2 minutes after they open. I verified that the order form I originally emailed him showed High Gloss Black roof rails, not Satin Aluminum. Looks like they will be stuck with an almost fully optioned X3 they will have a very hard time selling. Oh, well... It is their mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update 4/14: Here are some pics I took today of the X3 I won't be accepting. I showed these to several of my friends and family and all of them agreed that the Satin Aluminum just doesn't look good on the black. I hate shiny, chrome-like stuff on a car anyway, so I knew I would hate the look of these. I just wasn't sure if maybe I was being a bit irrational about the rails. However, my friends and family confirmed I was not. I will just have to wait another 3 to 4 weeks for my car. No big deal.

I do feel a bit bad for my CA, as this was an honest mistake and I have a feeling he may get in a bit of hot water over this. I hope not, but I guess there isn't much I can do about that. I hear his Sales Manager also had to sign off on the order, so my CA isn't entirely at fault.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update 4/15: Well, my CA didn't hesitate at all to order a new X3 for me. This time, though, he had me verify the order form before he entered it into the system and committed the order. It looks like I now have a production slot on May 1st, with delivery expected the first or second week of May. I will update again when I receive the production number and VIN.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update 4/17: I got my new production number already today and it looks my X3 is scheduled to start production next week - a week ahead of schedule!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Good to hear you are being taken care of. And yes the rails look out of place.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

I must say that the satin aluminum rails look totally out of place. You were right not to accept the car.
Appreciate 0