BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #23
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Likewise, I had the car running, unlocked with me 10 or 20m away from it has it was warming up a couple of times...
You should be careful doing this. It is a practice frequently targeted by car thieves, particularly on winter mornings. What makes it particularly horrendous is that your insurers will probably refuse to pay out if you leave the car running when you are as far as 10 - 20 metres away.

For this reason I would much rather the engine cut out if I were to exit the drivers seat with it still running.

It would be helpful if the manufacturers were a bit more transparent about their reasoning for some of these features/restrictions. I cannot think of any honest motive for not supplying car theft victims with the location of a stolen car. Presumably the police could force them to surrender this information - but the question is whether or not they would bother to do this. Be interested to know if anybody has any insight.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
You should be careful doing this. It is a practice frequently targeted by car thieves, particularly on winter mornings. What makes it particularly horrendous is that your insurers will probably refuse to pay out if you leave the car running when you are as far as 10 - 20 metres away.

For this reason I would much rather the engine cut out if I were to exit the drivers seat with it still running.
Thanks, and I'm perfectly safe when I do that, it's a private parking. I wouldn't dream of leaving the car like that on an open road :-)
      04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #25
jrhut
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

I am the new owner of a Carbon Black X3 28i Msport. So far I love the car. I do wonder why it doesn't come with remote start. I used it on my previous car more than I thought I would and assumed this vehicle would also have that option.

JR
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze
Likewise, I had the car running, unlocked with me 10 or 20m away from it has it was warming up a couple of times...
You can lock it from the outside with the engine left running (I just noticed you said unlocked)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0