BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #45
idahoakl
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Simple test

Simple way to test this theory and figure out the story once and for all. Find 2 X3's with the same engine/transmission combo, one brand new and one with more than 10000km. Put them both on a dyno and compare the results.

Bonus points if you can borrow a new one from a dealership and run the engine hard on one they still own.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #46
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Something is happening around 10k km. The engine is starting to wear into itself. It is loosening up ever so slightly. Not only the engine but the drivetrain. Bearings start to get broken in and loosen up along iwth all other moving parts.

This is why you start to see slightly incresed MPG, slightly better performance etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #47
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Something is happening around 10k km. The engine is starting to wear into itself. It is loosening up ever so slightly. Not only the engine but the drivetrain. Bearings start to get broken in and loosen up along iwth all other moving parts.

This is why you start to see slightly incresed MPG, slightly better performance etc...
Could be an plausible explanation if not the difference almost occurs over a night and is encountered by several owners that have never experienced this in other new cars.. One would think that if it's only mechanics that the engine performance occurs over a longer time and not from one day to another...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #48
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

One other thing that I would like to mention is the top speed (software) limit on all new powerful BMWs at 250km/h or 155mph.... Isn't this also a violation of customers rights in the US?

Just asking...... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #49
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Friction reduction accounts for the change as the car accumulates more miles/km's. This is pretty well understood; as the engine beds in it will accelerate more freely and use less fuel. That's a gradual process that's almost imperceptible, until some event makes you take notice. It's about perception not reality. As you hit the gas pedal on the on ramp to get out ahead of a truck you notice the difference. If you did exactly the same thing every day under exactly the same conditions you wouldn't notice. It's simply your mind playing tricks, not the tricks of an electronics engineer.

When we see written proof from BMW HQ that they restrict the performance of the vehicle below a certain mileage then i will believe. Until then it's simply good old mechanical friction imperceptibly changing and one event that changed your perception.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #50
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post

When we see written proof from BMW HQ that they restrict the performance of the vehicle below a certain mileage then i will believe. Until then it's simply good old mechanical friction imperceptibly changing and one event that changed your perception.
Hmm , the only one event that changed my perception and involved good old mechanical friction occurred with my first girlfriend many years ago. :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #51
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4
I'm with LeChef and others on this one....I call shenanigans...including the info being downloaded by bmw and sent off for analysis. First of all, your car needs to be in the shop in order for them to download....

In any event, can't speak to the EU, but I have ZERO doubts that this doesn't exist in North American vehicles. As someone pointed out earlier, if an individual were ever to dyno their bmw a few weeks after taking delivery and discovered that their vehicle had some form of limiter set, there'd be hell to pay....particularly around 'false advertising'.....

IMHO, bmw & other manufacturers mitigate their responsibility by telling the owner how to break-in the vehicle, via the owner's manual. If someone is crazy enough to red-line their new vehicle, it becomes their problem, not bmw's...or any other manufacturer.

Dave
Despite being able to track every millisecond of electrical and mechanical activity, if the car is under warranty, BMW is to take full responsibility for any and all mechanical failures. If the break in period were a legally binding agreement, it would be included in a terms of use contract upon purchasing the car. And in such a way, if any mechanical failures were to occur over the 50,000 mile warranty, BMW could argue on the side of driver error if the engine reached a speed of 4501 rpm (one above break in suggestion) during the first 1200 miles of use; this would effectively give them the right to refuse servicing a car despite being under warranty. As well, loaners and courtesy cars would be subject to this agreement, so dealerships would be allowed charge customers who drove brand new loaners for service and repairs if the break in period was not strictly followed.

The break in period is only a suggestion. Don't take it too seriously, but don't flog your car right away. With so many moving parts, it's smart to give them some time to wear into each other.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #52
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Porsche can run a very simple DME test of rev thresholds. This covers how many times over the life of the car you buzzed the redline, how long over the red line you were, and how far above the redline you were.

From this analysis they will void your warranty. They will also use this data to deny long term warranties and Porsche Approved status. A friend bought a GT3 and didn't check for over-revs. He asked for the car to be evaluated for long term cover and was denied as the car had a number of serious over-revs. Essentially the previous owner (not a very good driver) had buzzed the redline on a number of occasions that showed they were done on the track.

Moral of the tale. If you exceed even advice offered in the manual the manufacturer can deny you warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #53
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Porsche can run a very simple DME test of rev thresholds. This covers how many times over the life of the car you buzzed the redline, how long over the red line you were, and how far above the redline you were.

From this analysis they will void your warranty. They will also use this data to deny long term warranties and Porsche Approved status. A friend bought a GT3 and didn't check for over-revs. He asked for the car to be evaluated for long term cover and was denied as the car had a number of serious over-revs. Essentially the previous owner (not a very good driver) had buzzed the redline on a number of occasions that showed they were done on the track.

Moral of the tale. If you exceed even advice offered in the manual the manufacturer can deny you warranty.

Only with manual transmission ..... Difficult with automatic as the electronics will shift at high revs..... And then there was this software limit at 155mph/250kmh....
Appreciate 0