BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
slaaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25, 991T, 986S, 997, 958

Trailer Hitch Options

I just acquired a 2015 X3 and need to tow a small trailer. Is there any suggestions on trailer hitches for the X3 that you have used? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Search here for execuhitch

http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bmw-x3/
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
deyrag
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 2.8i

Pretty much 4 options.

1. OEM hitch and wiring installed by dealer. Requires programming to add functionality. Expensive but completly hidden when not in use

2. Execuhitch with oem wire harness. Still requires programming which they do remotely. Expensive but hidden when not in use. Higher rating than OEM (class 3 vs 2 for OEM) Supposedly it is the OEM hitch in non US markets

3. Aftermarket (draw tite, curt, etc). Cheap, require aftermarket harness (either clip on stlye or contactless), not fully hidden when not in use. Fairly lengthy to install DIY but not hard.

4. Have the hackers at u-haul or similar install one.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
krennman
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaaw View Post
I just acquired a 2015 X3 and need to tow a small trailer. Is there any suggestions on trailer hitches for the X3 that you have used? Thanks
I ordered the OEM hitch from ECS tuning and had the dealer do the install. Hitch is hidden and works great.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #5
Oilverland
Red-gistered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 F25 xDrive 35i

I have a newly acquired X3 and need a hitch for a light utility trailer or a bike rack. The ones from BMW and Execuhitch are painfully expensive, the only advantage IMHO is that they are discreet. I'm looking at options from the likes of etrailer.com. It won't bother me that it shows. Heck, it might protect the rear bumper cover from ground contact.

Note that you should expect "comfort access" foot punting, if you have that feature, to no longer work. In another thread a person related that BMW will tell you that this occurs with their hitch. Don't know about Execuhitch.

To me this is not an issue, the foot waving or punting motion doesn't work very well anyway. Besides ya look kinda stupid out there in the Trader Joe's parking lot, lifting your leg up to the rear of your car, like a dog marking a hydrant (my X3 is red, to make things worse). Who's idea was this? Wouldn't it have been better if I could push the tail light with my tukas? As it is, when it does work, the dang tailgate about hits me in the face. But I digress...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #6
TitanLH8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krennman View Post
I ordered the OEM hitch from ECS tuning and had the dealer do the install. Hitch is hidden and works great.
Mind sharing what the dealer charged for the installation?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #7
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilverland View Post

Note that you should expect "comfort access" foot punting, if you have that feature, to no longer work. In another thread a person related that BMW will tell you that this occurs with their hitch. Don't know about Execuhitch.
Does it just not work, or does it through error codes?

When I bought my car, I considered the BMW hitch. But what with install, the parts, and the module, it was more than what I wanted to pay.

And there is no nearby place that does execuhitch, and I wasn't willing to install myself.

I've been considering getting a local place to install a hitch. Without coding or module, but for use with just a bike rack. But I don't want errors.

Once I found out you could open the hatch manually without using remote and swinging foot, I rarely use my foot.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
krennman
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLH8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krennman View Post
Mind sharing what the dealer charged for the installation?
$700 which included the reprogramming
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I'm really really really happy with my Torquelift Ecohitch Stealth. $400 shipped. You CAN not see it when the receiver is not installed (which takes about 20 seconds to put in). 100% invisible. Installing the hitch was simple with the included instructions. Just take off the rear bumper, bolt it on, and reinstall bumper. The receiver with a 2in hitch fits under the rear deck.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2013-201...ohitch-stealth

For lighting I use a tekonsha ZCI zero contact interface. That took about 15 mins to install. No cutting/crimping/splicing factory wires. No coding required. Fully hidden when not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-1192...a+zero+contact

You would never know my X3 had a full class III hitch installed when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
The reason the comfort access does not work with the hitch, per BMW, is that the hitch is installed in the same place as the comfort access foot sensor. Theoretically, you could relocate the sensor to one side or the other and still have it work, but BMW wont do that of course. A good indy shop should be able to figure it out. I dont have comfort access for the trunk (not offered in 2011), so I havent looked into it that closely.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
patski
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaaw View Post
I just acquired a 2015 X3 and need to tow a small trailer.
Just acquired a 2017F25, I only plan on attaching a bike rack(so far) so I went with the Curt, also had the Curt on my 2004E83.

You do need to remove the plastic bumper, pretty easy didn't even need to have my son help. + $15 for Harbor Freight plastic rivet tool(needed).

CURT 13316 Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2-Inch Receiver, Select BMW X3, X4

Instructions attached
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf kurt13316_INS.pdf (1.40 MB, 286 views)

Last edited by patski; 03-23-2021 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #12
Septiale
Outdoors X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Mpackage Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
The reason the comfort access does not work with the hitch, per BMW, is that the hitch is installed in the same place as the comfort access foot sensor. Theoretically, you could relocate the sensor to one side or the other and still have it work, but BMW wont do that of course. A good indy shop should be able to figure it out. I dont have comfort access for the trunk (not offered in 2011), so I havent looked into it that closely.
Do you have pictures of how the foot comfort trunk sensor looks like and how it is installed im a X3 2015

Last edited by Septiale; 06-11-2018 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Typo fixed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #13
Septiale
Outdoors X3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Mpackage Premium

Dear all. I have just got a 2015 X3 with the M package and the Premium package. The comfort access ( keyless entrance using the hand and the foot kick under the trunck are supposed to be included ). The kick under the trunck is not working supposedly because the M package installs a new back fender that “covers” the sensor they told me.
My question is if anyone knows if the comfort access trunk ( via the kick motion under the trunk BMW logo) should work or not with the factory installed also M package ??? Thanks for the advise on hot to make it work (kick motion sensor under the trunck)
Appreciate 0