BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-08-2018, 05:14 AM   #1
faelanstevie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW X3 series

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2004 BMW X3 used with 90K miles. My budget would allow me a new Jetta/Elantra or a 2009 SUV like Tuscon. This X3 is listed at $14k, with some discount possible. Have always wanted to own a luxury brand, so this is appealing to me. Are there any BMW owners here? Any maintenance issues to be aware of? Does the price seem OK?

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93992
Professional video production

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
sgt3966
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 & 2016 X3

I currently own a 2008 X3 and a 2015 Z4. I am a BIG fan of the BMW brand. While I am not loaded by any means, I do believe in the saying' Penny wise, Pound foolish". I have ALWAYS had my cars serviced at a REPUTABLE dealer. They have always warranted their work. I also purchased my cars only from a dealer. Like I said, it may cost more, but the peace of mind is well worth it. So If you don't mind spending the extra money, I would buy it from a dealer. You should be able to work with them in case of any problems. Case in point, When I purchase my used X3, the passenger seat belt/air bag light kept coming on. After 5 years and multiple seat mats, reupholster the seats, modules, etc. they couldn't fix the problem. They finally got the approval from BMW to replace every harness and module connected to that passenger side air and that fixed the problem. It cost them over $4,000 in parts and labor. Didn't cost me a dime. Gave me a BRAND new loaner each and every time. Like I said in the beginning, do your research and purchase from a reputable dealer. I live in NY and drive to Wayne NJ to Paul Miller BMW because of their reputation. I bring it in for all my services when the reminder comes up and they never try to fix/sell me anything the car doesn't need. This is just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
An 04 X3 for $14K??? That's WAY TOO MUCH, especially for one that went for 90K miles already, and it is not worth much $$ according to insurance companies....literally highway robbery (even for 2012). As for reliability, if you depend on an independent or a dealer, and always want your repair bill to be below $1,000 (a $500 repair bill is also too much for me), then don't buy a BMW. The 09 Jetta/Tuscon is more reliable. Most of the work has to be DIY'd to keep costs down. EDIT: If reliability is of concern, and you cannot DIY (you need shelter to do most work), then look for a Lexus RX or similar.

Last edited by frisbeeguy; 03-09-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0