BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #45
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2000 View Post
Everybody is entitled to kill him or herself in any way they choose...
Oh no.... not again.....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
Man, this thread is going downhill fast.

On a serious note (I promise, I'm not intentionally trolling here), I'm curious about the rationale (from the OP or anyone else) about not wearing the seatbelt. Is it the 2 seconds it takes to get on or off? Does it wrinkle clothing? Is it a claustrophobia issue? Is it restrictive? Is it a belief that not wearing a seatbelt actually keeps you safer in some situations as you're able to get out of the vehicle faster? Is it a risk-taking rush?

In all seriousness, there must be a reason why people don't wear seatbelts. I don't want to get into right or wrong, just rationale.

Anyone?
As I and others have already pointed out if you take the time to read the whole thread rather than posting the same moral nonsense

"To balance the argument, I would like it disabled as well because I always drive with my seatbelt on but there are times when I want to remove my seatbelt when reversing or parking or moving so slowly that wearing a seatbelt would make no difference if I hit something. At these times the chime is annoying and distracting if it kicks in"

So there we are. I always drive with my seat belt on but there are sometimes when I want to hush the alarm. Analogous to a smoke alarm. I burn toast. I'm awake and alive. I press hush for 5 minutes so as not deafen the entire house. We are at no risk of dying of smoke inhalation in the 5 minutes of no smoke alarm sound that follow me pushing the hush button. So there is a legitimate reason for wanting to hush the seat belt chime temporarily. The question isn't "I really want to drive with no seatbelt all of the time, how can I do it?". Try being objective and not a sheep

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #47
Batman2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E53 X5/F25 X3

Actually, I mean it... It is not the state business (or anybody's business) to interfere in personal decissions. The comment is an hyperbole of this notion, but I really think that each of us is responsible of our actions and BMW should allow us to disconnect the damn thing... I had to move my car 10 meters and it began screaming and despite I was in P with the handbrake on it wouldn't shut up...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #48
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Just speculating here - but it is possible the OP was just a troll, posting a comment that would be bound to generate arguments and emotional discussion. He/she only has 2 posts and lists his/her car as a G37. If it is a troll post, it was damn successful as ppl have jumped all over it, pro and con. Good troll post, I would say......
      04-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #49
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Absolutely.
      04-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #50
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2000 View Post
Actually, I mean it... It is not the state business (or anybody's business) to interfere in personal decissions. The comment is an hyperbole of this notion, but I really think that each of us is responsible of our actions and BMW should allow us to disconnect the damn thing... I had to move my car 10 meters and it began screaming and despite I was in P with the handbrake on it wouldn't shut up...
All States "interfere" with personal decisions. Otherwise anarchy.
-- speeding; illegal
-- stealing; illegal
-- murder; illegal
-- taxes; required
-- currency; defined
etc

And BMW didn't decide to put the thing there, governments required it.
      04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #51
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

As to why, personally--because I want to. I hate wearing seat belts. I should not be "forced" to wear seat belts every time I get in the car I pay for with my own money. If the government paid for it, the argument might fly. Does the government "require" owners of outdoor public places, etc. to play lout sirens when somebody smokes? The answer is no, of course not. Smoking is just as deadly as not wearing a seatbelt, yet some choose to do it anyway. I wonder how the statistics of smoking-related deaths compare to deaths associated with not wearing a seatbelt? Some people JUST DON'T WANT TO WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME. As for those who say the "government requires it" I can tell you it does not. There is absolutely no law of which I am aware (or could find for that matter) which requires that manufacturers such as BMW install obnoxiously loud alarms in automobiles which are triggered when the driver does not wear his or her seat belt. So, BMW DID decide to install the alarm, the government did not require it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #52
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
As to why, personally--because I want to. I hate wearing seat belts. I should not be "forced" to wear seat belts every time I get in the car I pay for with my own money. If the government paid for it, the argument might fly. Does the government "require" owners of outdoor public places, etc. to play lout sirens when somebody smokes? The answer is no, of course not. Smoking is just as deadly as not wearing a seatbelt, yet some choose to do it anyway. I wonder how the statistics of smoking-related deaths compare to deaths associated with not wearing a seatbelt? Some people JUST DON'T WANT TO WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME. As for those who say the "government requires it" I can tell you it does not. There is absolutely no law of which I am aware (or could find for that matter) which requires that manufacturers such as BMW install obnoxiously loud alarms in automobiles which are triggered when the driver does not wear his or her seat belt. So, BMW DID decide to install the alarm, the government did not require it.
Dude, what's the name of your planet? I live on one called "Earth".
      04-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #53
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
Is State Law in USA a government law?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #54
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
Is State Law in USA a government law?
We have both State and Federal laws.
      04-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #55
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
We have both State and Federal laws.
Thank you Nahoa.....
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #56
dtl2009
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 28i

To clear the air:

Sorry if my initial post stirred up the hornets nest enough to earn the "troll" badge, it was not my intention. I have been following this board for the last month or so since decided to jump on the x3 - up until my initial post I was just sitting back getting my questions answered without having to do any work.

I appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten here and am quite excited for my x3 - she gets ordered tomorrow.

As to the question of why - because I don't want to wear my seat belt. Sorry if that is hard for some to understand, but I don't see that choice as effecting the rights of others. As one poster already pointed out that choice is likely not nearly the burden on society that many have claimed:

Stats for the US:
Seat belts ~15,000/year (NTSB 2008)
Tobacco ~443,000/year (CDC 2009)
Obesity ~112,000/year (CDC 2008)
Alcohol ~82,000/year (CDC 2009)

Statistics can be made to say what ever one wants, but in this case the numbers would have to be off by a factor of approx. 5 in the best case to show lack of seat belt use a higher cause than the others. This isn't meant to inflame the situation, rather just bring some tangibles to the discussion.

Friend or foe - thanks for the great resource on the x3!

Regards,
Dave
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #57
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl2009 View Post
To clear the air:

Sorry if my initial post stirred up the hornets nest enough to earn the "troll" badge, it was not my intention. I have been following this board for the last month or so since decided to jump on the x3 - up until my initial post I was just sitting back getting my questions answered without having to do any work.

I appreciate all of the feedback I have gotten here and am quite excited for my x3 - she gets ordered tomorrow.

As to the question of why - because I don't want to wear my seat belt. Sorry if that is hard for some to understand, but I don't see that choice as effecting the rights of others. As one poster already pointed out that choice is likely not nearly the burden on society that many have claimed:

Stats for the US:

Statistics can be made to say what ever one wants, but in this case the numbers would have to be off by a factor of approx. 5 in the best case to show lack of seat belt use a higher cause than the others. This isn't meant to inflame the situation, rather just bring some tangibles to the discussion.

Regards,
Dave
You should be ashamed of yourself to suggest that any human life, and the reasons for which that life may end, is worth more or less because of those reasons?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #58
tonymoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ford Excursion

A google search brought me to this thread. We used to be VW/Audi only buyers. Six years ago we dropped them because they lacked the ability to disable the seat belt warning. Since then it has been just Fords and Lincolns - they have some bizarre many step process to disable the chime .

I want to buy an X3 for my wife but we will not buy any vehicle that doesn't have the ability to disable the chime.

Also, please note, there is still at least one US state that does not insult adults by legislating seat belt use.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #59
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl2009 View Post
To clear the air:

Stats for the US:

Regards,
Dave
No intention to be foe - I'm more curious than anything else. While I understand the "I don't want to" as an answer the question (and it was someone else's answer too, not just yours), I guess I was wondering if there was more behind that.

Perhaps:

"I don't want to because I don't like be told what to do"

"I don't want to because I find it uncomfortable"

"I don't want to because it wrinkles my clothes"

"I don't want to because it's inconvenient to put it on and off every time I go somewhere"

"I don't want to because....." ?
      04-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #60
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I used to not give a damn about non-seatbelt users as I'm Darwin's #1 fan. Then I learned that those who get injured (not killed) in crashes help to drive up the cost of insurance. Those stats aren't on your stat sheet above.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #61
Batman2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E53 X5/F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
All States "interfere" with personal decisions. Otherwise anarchy.
-- speeding; illegal
-- stealing; illegal
-- murder; illegal
-- taxes; required
-- currency; defined
etc

And BMW didn't decide to put the thing there, governments required it.
So wearing a seatbelt is in the same league as stealing and murder? So, then, lets force you to eat veggies (it is healthy) and force regulations on how many calories you can eat a day (so you donīt become a medical and cost problem to society), lets prohibit meat (those damn cows produce too much methane and meat is bad for you). Lets force you to buy an electric car (you know, those polar bears are getting too warm) and lets do what they do in other coutries, like prohibiting you for using your car on certain days of the week, to control pollution... In the end I admit that "some" laws are there to stay (and always have been, as with stealing and murder, even taxes to some extent). But when the state, in the name of the "greater good", starts forcing things on us, down to the smallest details, then it is not good.

I always use seatbelts and every person that rides with me is required to use it, it is not negotiable. The problem is the damn alarm and the fact that when it starts it just wouldnīt shut up. It is annoying to the extreme. I SHOULD be able to disable it, it is my problem if I use the seatbelts or not.

Last edited by Batman2000; 04-14-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #62
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Will the administrator please close this thread!!! Please!!!!!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #63
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

It's interesting we have some colorful meanings here, the world will have been boring without them. But keep in mind this is a X3 thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #64
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
Man, this thread is going downhill fast.

On a serious note (I promise, I'm not intentionally trolling here), I'm curious about the rationale (from the OP or anyone else) about not wearing the seatbelt. Is it the 2 seconds it takes to get on or off? Does it wrinkle clothing? Is it a claustrophobia issue? Is it restrictive? Is it a belief that not wearing a seatbelt actually keeps you safer in some situations as you're able to get out of the vehicle faster? Is it a risk-taking rush?

In all seriousness, there must be a reason why people don't wear seatbelts. I don't want to get into right or wrong, just rationale.

Anyone?
I can give one practical example:

We have a vacation home in the Sierras that sits on a very steep slope. Because of the placement of the structure, there is a very narrow, long, steep driveway with some extremely odd slopes and turns on it. Even though it is paved, most non AWD cars can't get all the way up unless it is totally dry and clear of pine needles - some of the grade changes will cause cars to lift a wheel off the ground at one point.

I usually back up the slope to make exiting a little less exciting. Which means you have to Invariably, the seatbelt will lock at various points as you're pivoting between looking out the back and the sides, trapping you. You have to unbelt. The bonging is pretty annoying. I wouldn't mind turning it off.

Having said that, I think it is downright kooky to not wear one under most circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #65
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I think it's safe to say that the OP is delusional, and that in the discovery that he is wrong, he is flailing about trying to find information that makes him feel better about not wearing his seatbelt. Let's be done indulging him.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #66
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

I think he was just asking a technical question...to each his own. I find the chime in my F450 annoying too when I just want to drive the 1/2mile on a 5 mph dirt road to drop off my trash. I also had a teacher once that chose not to wear his seatbelt because he was in a car accident where he believed the only reason his life was spared was because he was NOT wearing his seat belt and 'pushed' away from the crushing metal and seat. Whatever, let's move on!
Appreciate 0