BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Putting on a seat belt does not require an insulting reminder everytime.

Do you get a reminder to steer before you crash?

Wearing a seat belt to reverse move in the yard, driving in a 20 zone or similar makes no sense and this is where the chimes are demeaing
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #24
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
Wearing a seat belt to reverse move in the yard, driving in a 20 zone or similar makes no sense and this is where the chimes are demeaing
it could save you three points on your licence
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Laughing at some of the ridiculous responses on this thread now. It's amazing how much you all care about this guy risking his life. I wonder if you'd also stop him drinking alcohol, smoking or trying to cross a road in the wrong place as well? The question is simply a technical question re. the reminder. The other life saving tips are irrelevant

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Laughing at some of the ridiculous responses on this thread now. It's amazing how much you all care about this guy risking his life. I wonder if you'd also stop him drinking alcohol, smoking or trying to cross a road in the wrong place as well? The question is simply a technical question re. the reminder. The other life saving tips are irrelevant
Personally, I couldn't care less what consenting adults do but I do object to this a little:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl2009 View Post
Before someone says "wear your seatbelt" or some similar off-topic remark - I am asking a technical question, not your opinion on how I should live my life or what my driving habits should be.
which makes assumptions about how each of us may respond to this question. On the other hand it's not easy to resist suggesting that perhaps he doth protest too much (sorry Will).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Personally, I couldn't care less what consenting adults do but I do object to this a little:

Quote:
Before someone says "wear your seatbelt" or some similar off-topic remark - I am asking a technical question, not your opinion on how I should live my life or what my driving habits should be.
which makes assumptions about how each of us may respond to this question. On the other hand it's not easy to resist suggesting that perhaps he doth protest too much (sorry Will).
Agreed. Might have been better to keep it short and sweet and put this more diplomatically but he could clearly see the future, as that's exactly what he got

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Does anyone know how to disable the brakes without getting that irritating "Brake Failure" warning light? There are so many times when I'd rather just crash into something instead of having to raise my foot and press that darn pedal.

Please don't comment on my driving style - just answer the question - I don't need any lectures - my wife already has that area covered.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Does anyone know how to disable the brakes without getting that irritating "Brake Failure" warning light? There are so many times when I'd rather just crash into something instead of having to raise my foot and press that darn pedal.

Please don't comment on my driving style - just answer the question - I don't need any lectures - my wife already has that area covered.
      04-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #30
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:

That sums this whole post up Lotus

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #31
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have the same problem as the OP. I don't care what others think about the issue, either. In reality, there are just times when you only have to travel a few feet and do not want to hear the seatbelt alarm. I, personally, believe there should be a way to disable this very annoying feature. However, since there is not, I bought these:

http://www.dinodirect.com/wholesale-...rency-GBP.html

Cheap, easy--PROBLEM SOLVED. They work exactly as intended and you can buy them without having to listen to the unnecessary opinions of others.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #32
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

And just an FYI to those with less than positive opinions on here, I personally believe a car which costs in excess of $45,000.00 should not annoy you in any way (even if the annoyance has a rational, reasonable purpose).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

lol.... this post is actually pretty funny....
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #34
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
And just an FYI to those with less than positive opinions on here, I personally believe a car which costs in excess of $45,000.00 should not annoy you in any way (even if the annoyance has a rational, reasonable purpose).
I suspect seat belt audibles are a law in the US so ranting at BMW gets you nothing.
      04-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #35
Berkbon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Although I'm all for belts, i'd love to be able to disable the chime too for those occasions when I have something other than a human in the passenger seat setting it off (groceries, my laptop bag, my 100lb dog, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #36
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:

04-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #37
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Thank you to those who answered the question and remained on-topic.

I hope that all those who felt the need to preach about wearing a seatbelt or make inferences to my intellect - I can assure you that I recognize the implications of the choices I make and am capable of deciding if a particular risk is acceptable to me.

Do you also feel the need to preach at and belittle those in other risk groups like smokers, alcoholics, the obese, the sexually promiscuous?

Regards,
Dave
A man could search far and wide, and I do dare you to take it upon yourself to prove me wrong, and he would not find another man who would so willingly, stubbornly, and above all, erroneously try to justify successfully when it is appropriate not to wear a seatbelt.

If you understand the implications and the ramifications, physically and financially, of not wearing your seatbelt; if you are so hardheaded and prideful and so very sure that you can forsee, always, the idiot that backs out of his driveway when you're aimlessly doing 40 on a sidestreet--we are BMW drivers, aren't we--then each and every single tax-paying American, whose dollars go toward legislation based on majorly proven studies that wearing a seatbelt is BY DEFINITION safer than not, should pay YOU that amount of money in addition to that which they owe the government for keeping us safe. And let us not forget the insurance bills we face because of you; by golly gee I must owe you a bankfull of cash because you are so very above the law, above the unpredictable, above and beyond the idiocy and absurdity you project when you suggest that you are omnipotent.

The chime is not to be turned off because it is designed to infuriate you to such a degree that you have no other choice but to fasten your seatbelt like anybody whose right minds afforded them the license with which they pilot their vehicles every day.

Put it in perspective. The money you're spending on this car does not come back when you're dead and not working, and the small amount of life insurance you've afforded yourself this early in your life will not cover the damages and financial setbacks which your family will suffer, nor will it ever, because no love can be ascribed to any amount of money.

And you can f*cking count on me and any other sane and generally selfless human being to dig to the very core the inner psyche of those who choose the wrong path, or at least I'll try even if unsuccessful, for it is simply enough to know that I tried to make the world a better place for even just one person. And you'd think that we all actually care about you, but no, because you are that which endangers the rest of us, and our children. So I do, so very much, wish for the problem YOUR X3 suffers is that your seatbelt buckle will fail when you need it most, if that is, you do decide to wear it.

And you expect anyone to owe you the respect of not berating you with only the most sensible of arguments? Please. You choose to feel belittled because you know you're wrong.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 04-13-2011 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #38
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
You'd think that right up until the moment you die, because you were too annoyed to just fasten your seatbelt, which takes the same if not less effort than to press those little clamps in.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #39
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Another bad day at the office Judd?

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 01:57 AM   #40
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hahahahahahaha after reading threads written by people like this, I would take a hard day at work EVERY DAY if I knew that I could rid the world of such imbeciles.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #41
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Darwin at work.
      04-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #42
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Man, this thread is going downhill fast.

On a serious note (I promise, I'm not intentionally trolling here), I'm curious about the rationale (from the OP or anyone else) about not wearing the seatbelt. Is it the 2 seconds it takes to get on or off? Does it wrinkle clothing? Is it a claustrophobia issue? Is it restrictive? Is it a belief that not wearing a seatbelt actually keeps you safer in some situations as you're able to get out of the vehicle faster? Is it a risk-taking rush?

In all seriousness, there must be a reason why people don't wear seatbelts. I don't want to get into right or wrong, just rationale.

Anyone?
      04-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #43
Batman2000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E53 X5/F25 X3

Everybody is entitled to kill him or herself in any way they choose...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #44
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman2000 View Post
Everybody is entitled to kill him or herself in any way they choose...
.......so long as it doesn't cause harm to others.
Appreciate 0