BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Neo-Orpheus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Astra

20d Engine Noisy?

I am new to the diesel engine and was pleasantly surprise how noisy the engine is. From the inside, you can hear the whining noise. From the outside it is even more noisier?

Has anyone notice this as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You were pleasantly surprised?! It is quite noisy from the outside, especially if your last car was a petrol as mine was. No noises on the inside though, in fact it's pretty well soundproofed. The 30d will be quieter

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

how noisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You were pleasantly surprised?! It is quite noisy from the outside, especially if your last car was a petrol as mine was. No noises on the inside though, in fact it's pretty well soundproofed. The 30d will be quieter
Hi All,

Some said the 20D engine is very noisy, some said OK.
Please let me have all your feed back just how noisy is the engine( from inside the car with window shut and not driving agressively)
I am really worry that it will be very noisy and un-refined as I am not going to get the 30D.
I value all you feed back!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC888 View Post
Hi All,

Some said the 20D engine is very noisy, some said OK.
Please let me have all your feed back just how noisy is the engine( from inside the car with window shut and not driving agressively)
I am really worry that it will be very noisy and un-refined as I am not going to get the 30D.
I value all you feed back!
Less noisy and more refined that the E60 520d according to Bimmer Uk in the link below.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513927

Drove one noise level was acceptable from outside given it being a diesel, quiet from inside in the auto version and noise from outside reduced as car warmed up. Not as quiet as a petrol though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Less noisy and more refined that the E60 520d according to Bimmer Uk in the link below.
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513927
Im happy and generally pleased with sound levels, sounds very different from the E60

My old man also commented how well it pulls away and how quiet the engine was from inside

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

I think in the whatcar review the X3 was measured as the quietest when compared to the Q5, XC60 and the Freelander
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
AC888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
I think in the whatcar review the X3 was measured as the quietest when compared to the Q5, XC60 and the Freelander
I read the report and were pleased with it. However, being quietest at 70mph is very different from being quiet when accelerating. Most car are quiet when cruising, but noisy when increase speed like when you drive it in town/ city.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Neo-Orpheus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
I have driven the diesel in both the X3 and Q5 and definately the Q5 was quieter. I can hardly hear the engine in the Q5. When I did a walk around of the Q5 while it is still running, it's not noisy at all.

The X3 however, was howling and ping alot. I've test drove like the X3 in five different dealerships and they all have the same noise factor.

I would love to get the petrol engine but can't affor it!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

We have a Q5 in fleet also and have seen the opposite when side by side, the X3 is a lot quieter from outside

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

seem everyone has a different contradiction on noise levels of the x3. Any members coming from petrol to diesel apart from Sfax to compare? Does out side nosie reduce over time ie miles put in?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 06:59 AM   #11
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

There is no doubt that on the outside, the diesel engine is noisier than a petrol engine. The engine is quieter when it is warmed up rather than cold.

From the inside (which is what I am bothered about), I do not notice really any significant difference overall from my previous car (a merc c180k petrol engine). There is a bit of a rattle at low revs - below 1200 rpm - but in real life driving you only hear this occassionally. Most importantly, I do not find the engine intrusive at all.

My brother in law has a 520d which is 3 years old and has about 37k miles on the clock. This is a bit quieter than mine (with only 600 miles on the clock), and I am unsure whether this is down to mileage or the fact it is a slightly different engine model. Probably the former.

It is also streets ahead a couple of colleagues' diesel engines from different marques, and this is probably the better comparason (I will avoid comparason to a colleagues Range Rover Sport diesel engine which is an entirely different league!). It is much quieter inside and out than Citreon/Peugeout and VW.

So what does all this mean - yes it is noisier than a petrol engine on the outside. From the cabin, it is just not a problem. Really, don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
AC888
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
There is no doubt that on the outside, the diesel engine is noisier than a petrol engine. The engine is quieter when it is warmed up rather than cold.

From the inside (which is what I am bothered about), I do not notice really any significant difference overall from my previous car (a merc c180k petrol engine). There is a bit of a rattle at low revs - below 1200 rpm - but in real life driving you only hear this occassionally. Most importantly, I do not find the engine intrusive at all.

My brother in law has a 520d which is 3 years old and has about 37k miles on the clock. This is a bit quieter than mine (with only 600 miles on the clock), and I am unsure whether this is down to mileage or the fact it is a slightly different engine model. Probably the former.

It is also streets ahead a couple of colleagues' diesel engines from different marques, and this is probably the better comparason (I will avoid comparason to a colleagues Range Rover Sport diesel engine which is an entirely different league!). It is much quieter inside and out than Citreon/Peugeout and VW.

So what does all this mean - yes it is noisier than a petrol engine on the outside. From the cabin, it is just not a problem. Really, don't worry about it.
Thanks for your comments, its very helpful and I can now buy the car with confidence.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

only have my e60 525d to compare to the Z4 ... world of difference.. even after 2 yrs with the e60, still not used to the noise that it generates... i just turn up the music to drown it out... would have loved to get a petrol x3 but no joy unfortunately.. just gotta get used to it
      05-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Stop-start keeps the average noise level lower

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0