BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Headlight ballast

The ballast for my right headlight got water in it. (Adaptive headlight failure). I swapped ballasts from the left and it works, so I swapped them back and I opened up the bad ballast and blew out all the water and both work now. Should I just silicone it back up or get a new one (about $50 on eBay). And if I go new is it just plug and play or does it need to be coded. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
alphawawa
Blue Blood
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M3 Coupe/TiAg+IR/6MT

Hi,

I know this is a few years old, but did you ever find the source of the leak that caused the ballast to fill with water and fail?

I have a MY2013 F25 and I am on my third ballast. I thought the original one shorted out because the large, round access port in the back of the headlight unit had come undone (which seems to be a common issue) and allowed water in, but the second ballast failed while I watched someone spray high-pressure water on my car prior to entering a car wash. I quickly checked to see if the access port had fallen off again, but it had not.

I've examined the headlight unit, and cannot find any obvious ways that water may be getting in (though I understand there is venting somewhere in the back that is the source of the condensation woes posted everywhere). This level of water intrusion seems to be different.

Any ideas? I am now searching for some butyl tape to re-seal the unit, and would love never to have to do this again.

Also - how much water did you find in that old ballast? And how long did it work after you dried it out?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0