BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #45
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglo View Post
I just had my Alpine White X3 sealed with Optiguard yesterday - I didn't really want a piece of plastic on my car (I've done 3M Clearbra previously with my Audi A3 - it started to peel and was really visible).

Google Optiguard (or Opticoat) and see if that is an alternative for you guys - the results seems to be quite good on people that have had this done (lots of pics on the web). It provides a harder surface for BMW's notorious soft paint. The additional benefit is that it makes washing the car a lot easier and virtually eliminates the need for waxing (its good for lazy guys like me!). Also, the Optiguard can be added to all surfaces (except windshield and side mirrors for safety reasons) - so surface area wise, its pretty good protection.

If you are in the Toronto area - Bryan from concurstouch is who I went with and he did an amazing job and is fully insured to do this procedure - my X3 looked better than when it came off the lot. (Again, his reputation speaks for itself when you google his name)
Strangely enough have just been reading about this product on a detailing forum and it seems really good. Please inform here as time goes on what your experience is with the product.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #46
kglo
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan van Zyl View Post
Strangely enough have just been reading about this product on a detailing forum and it seems really good. Please inform here as time goes on what your experience is with the product.
One other product that I considered was CQuartz - it basically does the same thing and some have said that it is "harder" than OptiCoat/OptiGuard and sheds water a bit better. I ultimately did not go with it because it was slightly more expensive and more importantly, has a cure time of 12 hours (where the car had to remain dry) - since this is my daily driver and the weather here has been a bit wet, it wasn't really an option for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #47
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglo View Post
I just had my Alpine White X3 sealed with Optiguard yesterday - I didn't really want a piece of plastic on my car (I've done 3M Clearbra previously with my Audi A3 - it started to peel and was really visible).

Google Optiguard (or Opticoat) and see if that is an alternative for you guys - the results seems to be quite good on people that have had this done (lots of pics on the web). It provides a harder surface for BMW's notorious soft paint. The additional benefit is that it makes washing the car a lot easier and virtually eliminates the need for waxing (its good for lazy guys like me!). Also, the Optiguard can be added to all surfaces (except windshield and side mirrors for safety reasons) - so surface area wise, its pretty good protection.

If you are in the Toronto area - Bryan from concurstouch is who I went with and he did an amazing job and is fully insured to do this procedure - my X3 looked better than when it came off the lot. (Again, his reputation speaks for itself when you google his name)
how much for your x3? i did get a quote from him, just wanna compare
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #48
kglo
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
how much for your x3? i did get a quote from him, just wanna compare
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #49
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

A stupid question- why is the plastic paint protection called 'clear bra'. Beyond the reference to female underwear , I can't work out if 'bra' stands for something.
Appreciate 0