BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #1
RLMAV8TOR
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Heads Up Display Quit Working

My HUD quit working today. Drove to the grocery store and it was fine. Started the car up leaving the grocery store and it was completely blank. Checked settings and they're all correct. Don't know if this could be related, but I took a pretty hard hit from a pothole (it was raining and couldn't see it) on the last drive before the one to the grocery store. Any other ideas, or does it sound like it just needs some maintenance attention (lightbulb?)?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Use ISTA+ to diagnose. I was playing with it and ista could command the HUD to display all kind of things, even turn the display sideways. You may have knocked something loose on that pothole, but you'd think it would have went out then, not on the next drive . It's maintenance free so I doubt it's something as simple as a bulb. You could try disconnecting the battery for an hour to force a cold boot.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
RLMAV8TOR
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Use ISTA+ to diagnose. I was playing with it and ista could command the HUD to display all kind of things, even turn the display sideways. You may have knocked something loose on that pothole, but you'd think it would have went out then, not on the next drive . It's maintenance free so I doubt it's something as simple as a bulb. You could try disconnecting the battery for an hour to force a cold boot.
Strangely enough, when I started it up this morning it worked fine. Drove it a fair amount today and it never missed a beat. Still makes me wonder if something is amiss, but I guess I won't worry about it unless it does it again.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:07 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Electronics voodoo
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #5
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLMAV8TOR View Post
Strangely enough, when I started it up this morning it worked fine. Drove it a fair amount today and it never missed a beat. Still makes me wonder if something is amiss, but I guess I won't worry about it unless it does it again.
A long shot.... if I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses, I'm not able to see the HUD. The glasses cause the screen to go blank. By chance, were you wearing sunglasses when the problem occurred?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #6
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcblackwell View Post
A long shot.... if I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses, I'm not able to see the HUD. The glasses cause the screen to go blank. By chance, were you wearing sunglasses when the problem occurred?
Actually I've done that once or twice myself when I misplaced my non-polarized pair and grabbed some backups that were polarized. It was a WTF few minutes each time until I realized what had changed.