BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #23
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
My iDrive has been telling me I have between 3100 and 3900 miles to go on my brakes about 2 1/2 years now. Goes up on long enough road trips, down during city driving. I had them last checked last year when I got new tires, and I figured I had at least 20-30,000 miles remaining.
iDrive brake pad wear indicator is only a suggestion, think of it as a reminder but that's it, just a reminder. It has no way of measuring the pad or rotor thickness. The only way to do it is to look at each pad and rotor and if necessary, measure the remaining thickness. If you don't manually look and measure and only go by iDrive, you will probably grind into your wear sensor and possibly your rotors. The wear sensor is last ditch effort and if you avoid grinding into it, you don't have to replace it when you replace your pads/rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:37 AM   #24
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

iDrive and even the sensors arent as good as physically checking the pads yourself. I had a pad eat a rotor because the previous owner/shop that did the pads put them in backwards(there is an inside and outside pad). With a quick glance at the pads they looked ok but they were wearing funny. When I did the pads/rotors both iDrive and the sensors were saying I was good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0