BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

X4 310 with pirelli pzeroes and winter

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Anyone know the potential drivability of these wheels/tires in the winter and snow? Got the car without realizing it was performance tires and not all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

Zero

Zero, nil, nada.

Wouldn't go anywhere near winter in New England (I'm in NH) with a "performance tire". Most people will tell you that even all-seasons are marginal.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but if it were me, I'd get a winter tire/wheel package. Good news is that you'll have the best of both worlds, and the performance tires will last longer.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
Zero, nil, nada.

Wouldn't go anywhere near winter in New England (I'm in NH) with a "performance tire". Most people will tell you that even all-seasons are marginal.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but if it were me, I'd get a winter tire/wheel package. Good news is that you'll have the best of both worlds, and the performance tires will last longer.
This is 100% right. You'd be a danger to yourself and others on those tires in temperatures below 40 degrees and/or traveling through any type of frozen precipitation.

You can get a good set of 19" wheels with Pirelli Sottozero II RFTs from tire rack for ~$2500. Or you could go for the BMW 18" set for ~$2700. A lot of folks scoff at the expense, but you'll be reducing the amount of wear you put on a $500 tire (your 20" P-Zero) and sparring your aluminum 20" rim winter pot holes.

I went with the staggered 19" with P-Zeros (like yours) on my '15 X3 and just ordered my winter set up!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

Thanks for the replies. Was pretty sure that was the answer.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 01:48 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I am curious- what type of tests for winter tires do you have in the US - we have extensive tests in Sweden, Germany and Finland.

Last winter BIC for non-studded tires were: Nokian Hakkapelitta R2 and Michelin Alpin.

BIC for studded tires were: Continental Conti Contact and Pirelli Ice Zero.

I will buy 18" Pirelli Ice Zero (or whatever tire is BIC coming season) without TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system) and with AEZ Yacht rims.

Note: there is a new TPMS on X3/X4 for this year with pressure sensors installed on the valves instead of utilizing signals from the ABS system.
Appreciate 0