BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 f25

project phone to iDrive screen?

Hallo,
I am naively posting this question: Suppose you have a phone that supports projection with an HDMI (or whichever) cable to a screen/TV. Would there be a way to connect it to the iDrive screen with some extra cabling? Has this ever been done?
Imagine then the infinite possibilities..
cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
mohan1985
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

I recently lost sound and my screen went blank on my idrive screen. I have the CCC, i went to the dealer only for them to tell me it was the CCC and screen thats gone bad. I replaced it with the CIC unit and i still have no sound or screen. Whats going on?? someone have any idea? could it be possible that i ruined the digital cable (green and black) by possibly twisting it? I have the individual sound system
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan1985
I recently lost sound and my screen went blank on my idrive screen. I have the CCC, i went to the dealer only for them to tell me it was the CCC and screen thats gone bad. I replaced it with the CIC unit and i still have no sound or screen. Whats going on?? someone have any idea? could it be possible that i ruined the digital cable (green and black) by possibly twisting it? I have the individual sound system
Just don't say anything to the dealer. Let them figure out what's wrong with it.

As long there is no sign of tamper, ur golden
      01-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoros View Post
Hallo,
I am naively posting this question: Suppose you have a phone that supports projection with an HDMI (or whichever) cable to a screen/TV. Would there be a way to connect it to the iDrive screen with some extra cabling? Has this ever been done?
Imagine then the infinite possibilities..
cheers
If you have BMW Apps installed then you have an easy possibility of viewing screen of your iphone on iDrive. You may have to wire up an Apple TV to video cables. Create wifi hotspot with iPhone. Connect Apple TV on the hotspot. Then AirPlay your iphone. You should be able to view screen of iPhone as well as all videos of iPhone on iDrive. I m sure this us possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
If you have BMW Apps installed then you have an easy possibility of viewing screen of your iphone on iDrive. You may have to wire up an Apple TV to video cables. Create wifi hotspot with iPhone. Connect Apple TV on the hotspot. Then AirPlay your iphone. You should be able to view screen of iPhone as well as all videos of iPhone on iDrive. I m sure this us possible.
As far as I can figure out there is no way of viewing your iphone screen using BMW apps. It is a very limited and badly implemented feature in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
As far as I can figure out there is no way of viewing your iphone screen using BMW apps. It is a very limited and badly implemented feature in my experience.
My point is that if the video-in is available, interfacing an Apple TV is not a big task to view iphone screen.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Really? Just plug it in and browse to video

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had some time to browse a bit and found this:

http://www.navtv.com/product/90/bmw09.html

(if the link doesn't work go to www.navtv.com and then choose brand/year etc and "equiped with" Full color LCD. The device is called "BMW09")

apparently you can even connect a pc or any device with hdmi out.
somebody has done it with a f10 5 series and has a win7 pc displayed from the car screen.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721774

though i wouldn't want to go that far this looks cool!

has anyone tried it with an x3?

Last edited by Theodoros; 04-21-2013 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

What would be the point of this if you can't interface with the device? It would be video only so you couldn't touch anything or use the iDrive controller to control the phone, so you'd still have to use the phone to actually do anything. I guess you could use it for playback of unsupported video types or something, but that seems like a lot of work for that...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am not sure if there is a function in the new phones for displaying a cursor and using the phone as a trackpad while connected to hdmi. if not you can get a small bluetooth keyboard with touch screen and convert it into a mini pc.
This basically removes the basic flaws of the system (at least for me) which is limited apps, no major updates in software and the ridiculously expensive update of the nav. Let alone that you cannot update the hardware..
In contrast you get a pc-like experience in your screen with basically endless apps + fast internet + always up to date nav etc.
(of course all these to be used when static or by the person sitting next to you!)
Granted this is for techno freaks and more of a "project" than a real need.

For argument's sake there is a company in thailand (HMS-thailand i think) that fits touch screens in the system (!) but i could not find something similar in europe.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
ccobka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5 AW

I was looking for a way to add apple TV to my F25 and have an ability to stream wirelessly to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

In all after my short investigation -without being an expert- i saw there are two solutions:

in the US

the BMW09 model from navtv that costs ~700 dollars

and this in Germany:

http://www.store.ampire.de/e-vendo.p...&ProdNr=C2-CIC

which costs ~700 euros
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #13
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
When doing a mirror from an iphone to a Nav screen, do you still have to take out the dash?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
ccobka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5 AW

This seems like an overkill since this is something that has backup camera and few other features that are already included in the car. I had a similar setup in my E90 which had front and rear camera as well as DVD input for iPod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoros View Post
In all after my short investigation -without being an expert- i saw there are two solutions:

in the US

the BMW09 model from navtv that costs ~700 dollars

and this in Germany:

http://www.store.ampire.de/e-vendo.p...&ProdNr=C2-CIC

which costs ~700 euros
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #15
Theodoros
Enlisted Member
Rep

One can install a backup camera with these devices but it's not included.you get tv and composite in. it's true that if you don't want the extra features the phone integration alone does not justify the cost. I was expecting to find something at half price or less
Appreciate 0