BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #45
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Comfort Access is wonderful. After having it on my last two cars I wouldn't want a car without it. No fumbling for keys to lock, unlock, or start the car. The key can be in you pocket, purse, backpack, shoe pocket, gym bag, whatever. Particulary nice in the rain when you might be closing and embrella, or when you have a coffee in your hand, etc. I curse lowness and rental car that don't have it! Oh, and I tend to walk up to them perplexed as to why I can't get inside.

Key confusion is a minor thing and seems better on this newer model (based on only 3 days experience). It recognizes the driver somehow. Using the other key to leave with the service department can lead to confusion if you forget which is which, but that's not a huge deal. Make sure to memorize your seat and mirror positions, though, because the "last used seat/mirror position" can goof it up. It might now be "last used seat/mirror position per key" vice overall. Haven't tested it.

I love the Comfort Access. I can't imagine a reason a person wouldn't at least like it, let alone consider it indispensable.
      02-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Wish I had read this a couple of months ago! I liked the sound of it but was concerned that it would get confused with which memory settings to use if two key owners (myself and the wife) got in the car together. It sounds like they have considered this and it knows who the driver is. Never mind.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #47
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Question about Comfort Access for someone who has never had this before:

Does it LOCK the doors as you walk AWaY from the car? or is just a function when you walk TO the car?

just curious...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #48
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

When you get out of the car you can touch a spot on the top of the door handle and it will lock the doors. When approaching the car it unlocks as you pass your hand into the door handle.
      02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #49
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry, sfax. Haven't completely tested this newer version, but the older also knew if the key was in the car (in your bag when you thought it was in your packet, for instance) and would not allow the door to lock.
      02-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #50
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

3 days, 200 miles, some shopping, talking with family via handsfree, moving some household effects, and the smile continues to grow. Takes a little adjustment from the 330i to figure out how much it's like the sedan and where it's not. So far, the break in parameters and caution re Winter roads are the only thing that's held me back from taking some runs at least as fast as I did in the 330i. There's a perspective thing associated with sitting up higher that I'm still getting used to. In other "tall" vehicles, you have to drive it like a "tall" vehicle; not so much here. The speeds, cornering angles, etc. are just like the sedan, but the view on the road is different as are the feel of the lateral forces and rotation up a bit higher. Need to learn -- but it's a fun lesson, like you know there's something cool to learn that you haven't quite gotten to yet but are on the road toward!!
      02-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #51
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
Nahoa:

Have you used the Dyn Hand Pack much? Have you moved from Normal to the other settings and how do you feel about that package?

I forget reading all the posts if you have tested a stock 35i prior to delivery but can you possibly compare the ride quality of a stock 35i (if you can) to the Normal setting of your car?

Do you see it as a worthwhile option in general?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #52
ktjernstrom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive20d 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
In other "tall" vehicles, you have to drive it like a "tall" vehicle; not so much here. The speeds, cornering angles, etc. are just like the sedan, but the view on the road is different as are the feel of the lateral forces and rotation up a bit higher. Need to learn -- but it's a fun lesson, like you know there's something cool to learn that you haven't quite gotten to yet but are on the road toward!!

Does your car have VDC? If so, which setting are you running it in?

I ordered mine (a 20d) with stock suspension, since I didn't want it too harsh with the 309 wheels. Never had a chance to drive one with sports suspension or VDC, so still wondering if I should've gone with a more sporty setup, since I come from a lowered sport wagon...

Thanks,

Karl
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #53
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Here it's called Dynamic Damper Control, but yes I have VDC (do they have shots for that??). I'm mostly running in "Normal" per advice from the dealership that seemed to match the manual re break in period. I've popped into Sport for a couple twisties (bike riders would crap that I talk about twisties in an SAV) and it does seem to stiffen up notably. Haven't spent a lot of time there, so I don't want to comment too much. What I will say is that with the DDC (VDC) it still feels like a sport suspension. Normal seems to allow a bit more motion and the steering has less feel and weight, but it's not like driving a Escalade. We're not talking floating a boat here, just a softened version of sport -- which I really like.

The specific question of "too harsh" throws me a bit. Sport suspensions can deliver harsh notes in certain circumstances and will always be describe as "harsh" by those really looking for the silky smooth luxury float of something like an Escalade. To me it's not harsh, it's feel. I want to know what the road is presenting so I can control the vehicle most appropriately. I find "Normal" smoother than a 330i Sport Suspension. Of particular note is how the computer can often adjust to ensure that whatever the front wheels hit is filtered out when the rear wheels hit. This seems to offer more benefits than just comfort as it seems to help maintain proper attitude when adjusting for bumps while cornering.

I believe the impact of the wheels has been overstated. The 19's still allow a good amount of rubber between rim and road. Little enough to keep it tight, but enough to accommodate many potholes and to allow a little damping over cobblestone-like surfaces. I've hit several potholes already and the response has been better than with the 330i and no damage resulted.

In general, it seems to me based on my 3 days with the car that "fear of harshness" has been overrated based on the language used in reviews and the old X3 (which I never drove).
      02-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #54
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

PDC and Top View

I only got those because they came with other stuff I wanted. Pretty much figured they were for folks who could never quite understand the dimension of their car or how it moved when parking.

I stand corrected. While this system may help our "parking impaired" friends, I think it also augments the abilities of those who already have a good sense of space and motion. Maybe I'm just getting soft, but I really, really like these systems. The info in the views is focused very much on stuff you can use, so when combined with your normal outside looks, precision and confidence increase -- at least for me.
      02-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #55
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Dynamic Handling Package

I'm now about 300 miles into the car and decided that it was okay to give "Sport" vice "Normal" a little whirl on a completely bogus 15 mile drive to get gas (I know, not so green; I'll recycle extra next week). For those of you wondering if "Sport" makes a difference -- oh, yeah, it does. Suspension stiffens, throttle changes, and steering changes dramatically toward a sportier weight and feel. I giggled like a little boy with a new BB gun. If I didn't fear the VA State Police so much, I'd have been over 100 in the blink of an eye. (Not to self: Plan road trip to Montana.)

The car I really wanted now was a new 335i, but we needed some "utility" capability particularly for our dogs. Being a big 3 series fan the new X3 seemed to fit the bill much better than our previous V8 Toyota 4Runner (which was good for what it was, but it was not a BMW).

Driving on "Normal" I'd been thrilled by how similar the X3 was to my experience with 3 series sedans; not the same, but by far enough that I was a happy camper even after having to accommodate the "utility" requirement.

With "Sport" in play, I'm speechless (almost). I now totally get the 0-60 times compared to the last 335i and I can see giving one a run for it's money through the twisties. I'd been confused by a reviewer giving an X6M better marks than an M5; now I can kinda see it. The new 335i will almost certainly beat the X3, but the margin seems likely to be far smaller than I'd thought.

This car doesn't just make me smile, it gets the "little boy with a new toy" giggle going!! People will think I'm nuts, but I don't care. This thing is fun. Thanks BMW!!!
      02-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #56
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Dynamic Handling Package

I'm now about 300 miles into the car and decided that it was okay to give "Sport" vice "Normal" a little whirl on a completely bogus 15 mile drive to get gas (I know, not so green; I'll recycle extra next week). For those of you wondering if "Sport" makes a difference -- oh, yeah, it does. Suspension stiffens, throttle changes, and steering changes dramatically toward a sportier weight and feel. I giggled like a little boy with a new BB gun. If I didn't fear the VA State Police so much, I'd have been over 100 in the blink of an eye. (Not to self: Plan road trip to Montana.)

The car I really wanted now was a new 335i, but we needed some "utility" capability particularly for our dogs. Being a big 3 series fan the new X3 seemed to fit the bill much better than our previous V8 Toyota 4Runner (which was good for what it was, but it was not a BMW).

Driving on "Normal" I'd been thrilled by how similar the X3 was to my experience with 3 series sedans; not the same, but by far enough that I was a happy camper even after having to accommodate the "utility" requirement.

With "Sport" in play, I'm speechless (almost). I now totally get the 0-60 times compared to the last 335i and I can see giving one a run for it's money through the twisties. I'd been confused by a reviewer giving an X6M better marks than an M5; now I can kinda see it. The new 335i will almost certainly beat the X3, but the margin seems likely to be far smaller than I'd thought.

This car doesn't just make me smile, it gets the "little boy with a new toy" giggle going!! People will think I'm nuts, but I don't care. This thing is fun. Thanks BMW!!!
Have tried sport+ yet? If not…try it out and report back - you will like it…alot! I agree with your 335 assessment - as I am trading the E92 in on the X3…now if Dinan can come up with a flash soon, I will be a totally happy camper!
      02-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #57
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I tried the Sport+ but I couldn't tell the difference between the Sport and the Sport+.

What am I looking for? The difference between Normal and Sport was dramatic and immediate, but I couldn't discern anything going to Sport+ other than the "DTC Activated" indicator?

Do the suspension, transmission, and steering parameters change between Sport and Sport+?
      02-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #58
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

A Small Bummer

The cruise control has taken over the left side of the steering wheel. The buttons make sense to me, are easy to feel, and work well.

Unfortunately, implementation of the cruise control as above has eliminated the track forward and track back buttons (which were also preset forward and preset back).

The button/wheel on the right works in some, but not all situations. For radio, you can rotate it to select a station or preset as you used to be able to use the "track forward track back" buttons to do so.

With an iPhone or iPod attached via USB, the wheel does not offer a track forward/back option. If you're playing a set (that is, not random) playlist, the wheel allows you to select tracks forward or back -- nice. With "random" selected that goes away. Unlike playlists streamed over Bluetooth, there are no "forward" or "back" arrows when using the wheel.

The "Left-Right" buttons to the right of the numbered storage buttons do work. I miss this function on the steering wheel, though.
      02-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #59
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I tried the Sport+ but I couldn't tell the difference between the Sport and the Sport+.

What am I looking for? The difference between Normal and Sport was dramatic and immediate, but I couldn't discern anything going to Sport+ other than the "DTC Activated" indicator?

Do the suspension, transmission, and steering parameters change between Sport and Sport+?
Play with it a bit more - the throttle response felt even better as did the steering - not as huge as the difference between normal and sport, but definitely a difference.
      02-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #60
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cargo cover, cargo net thingy.

Used the cargo net thingy today for the first time. Folded the seats and removed the cover/net from the rear position and moved it foward, just behind the front seats. The unit slides into tracks on the top of the folded rear seats and clicks in. The net extends to socket just above and behind the front seats. Seems to work out well.

Had enough space to carry a Series 700 dog crate (aka Giant) and a Series 600, collapsed and nested. Pretty sure the 700 would not fit assembled (too tall). I think the 600 might just make it. Collapsed and nested there was extra all around for more stuff.

And yes, it massively stressed me out to put the dog crates in the new car -- but that's what it's for, so I'm breaking it in!!
      02-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #61
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Auto Hold

Much to my surprise, I'm really enjoying this feature. Not so much in stop and go traffic as the salesperson suggested, but more so while waiting at lights. It's also handy to use instead of the parking brake release when starting up in the morning. Hit the Auto Hold and the parking brake is released, Auto Hold kicks in, and you don't need to stay on the brake as you settle in your last few things before taking off.

Now, I'm not at all saying this feature makes a huge difference for me or that I couldn't get along without it, but I am using it . . . . surprisingly.
      02-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #62
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Impressive car!

I ordered sparkling bronze with the beige interior but after a visit to the BMW Holland importer I will change the combo. The leather of the beige interior is ok, but the ceiling looks more yellow than beige to me.

IMO the oyster looks too white so I might change to black interior but Sparkling bronze with black is probably not a good combo; I've never seen it, so difficult to assess.

As mineral silver was a second best I might change to your color combo.

Just out of interest: what kind of American car is the X3 usually compared with in the USA / Canada? In Europe it's the Q5, XC60, GLK and not with any Japanese or American car.
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:09 AM   #63
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreeze View Post
Impressive car!

I ordered sparkling bronze with the beige interior but after a visit to the BMW Holland importer I will change the combo. The leather of the beige interior is ok, but the ceiling looks more yellow than beige to me.

IMO the oyster looks too white so I might change to black interior but Sparkling bronze with black is probably not a good combo; I've never seen it, so difficult to assess.

As mineral silver was a second best I might change to your color combo.

Just out of interest: what kind of American car is the X3 usually compared with in the USA / Canada? In Europe it's the Q5, XC60, GLK and not with any Japanese or American car.
Same cars here…Q5, GLK, XC60, but add in the Lexus RX350 as it is the best selling car in the class in the US.
      02-13-2011, 06:50 AM   #64
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Thanks for all of your detailed feedback Nahoa. It's all continuing to whet my appetite!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #65
acer2974
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i Min Silver/Black Int

You must be a genius, we ordered the same color combination. Might have ordered the mohave, but no one, especially the dealers, have a clue what it looks like. Might go down to SC and watch them come off the line to see if I can spot one.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #66
acer2974
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i Min Silver/Black Int

Owned a RX-300 for a long time. Great car, but don't compare it to the new ones, which are junk especially the ones made in Canada (which use American parts, I hate to say). They have removed half the leather and a number of other things. Hybrids come from Japan but they drive awful and extra cost cannot be justified.
Appreciate 0