BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I might have bought the 30d, but it didn't come in manual. Quite frankly theres a few people who think they have a fast car, and I would very likely have left them in the dirt on my little welsh roads, while driving my 10yo Renault Scenic. Many people will tailgate me at 60mph in their fancy car, until we reach the twisty bits :-)

Bragging that the 30d is a lot quicker than my manual 20d in a straight line is like bragging you can switch channel quicker on your TV, from my point of view :-)

Still. with my current mileage, I'm glad I have the 20d. Did 6500 miles since the first of march, and yes, the pleasure of driving means we go 'places' with very little incentive! Just arrived from 190 miles trip, and the average was 46mpg, and I wasn't particularly careful either...
      06-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

As long as you buy the car you're happy with, does it matter what size engine it has under the bonnet?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

The problem of the 2 litre D is when on B roads trying to overtake, the usual agenising diesel dilemma, losing power past 2k turns, hence my question does anyone knows if the performance pack available for the 5 & 3 series can be fitted for the X3, officially it is not possible.
I drive a 520d, and my wife drives the X3 2 litre I am probably going for it on the 520d, will love to know if this can be done for the X3.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #26
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
There is a kit that remaps the engine to ~220bhp, there are a few provider of that. I pondered it for a while. and I also think I might go for it, as it looks like it just remove arbitrary limitations from the engine, and doesn't 'overclock' it..

Using the manual box, the most satisfying acceleration curve is in fact... on Eco Pro mode! The start of the curve us a bit sluggish (it's designed to be), but if you don't shortshift and keep the revs up (and also press the accelerator hard, it IS a factor), it's quite satisfying. the mode "Comfort" is pretty tame in comparison, it's hard to find a place where you feel 'boosted' on it. The "sport" mode is just a bit too jerky and runs out of puff pretty quickly, so you end up having to shift pretty quickly to compensate, so it's OK only on small roads, for me.

For overtaking on B roads, stay in ECO pro mode, but go down *2* gears. Ie with the manual box I shift from 6 at 60mph down to 4 and floor it, I guarantee you it works :-)
      06-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
There is a kit that remaps the engine to ~220bhp, there are a few provider of that. I pondered it for a while. and I also think I might go for it, as it looks like it just remove arbitrary limitations from the engine, and doesn't 'overclock' it..

Using the manual box, the most satisfying acceleration curve is in fact... on Eco Pro mode! The start of the curve us a bit sluggish (it's designed to be), but if you don't shortshift and keep the revs up (and also press the accelerator hard, it IS a factor), it's quite satisfying. the mode "Comfort" is pretty tame in comparison, it's hard to find a place where you feel 'boosted' on it. The "sport" mode is just a bit too jerky and runs out of puff pretty quickly, so you end up having to shift pretty quickly to compensate, so it's OK only on small roads, for me.

For overtaking on B roads, stay in ECO pro mode, but go down *2* gears. Ie with the manual box I shift from 6 at 60mph down to 4 and floor it, I guarantee you it works :-)
Thanks for the response, I am not sure this is possible with the auto gear box, even when on manual mode, the auto takes over if you going a step too far.
Appreciate 0