BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Help sorting my MP3's for use in X3

Hi all,
I'm trying to sort my MP3 collection for use with the X3 on a USB stick.
I have a folder with various MP3s from various sources. The Artist and Title are generally tagged ok but the rest of the tag needs a clean up. When I've tried retrieve the album art using various programs I get all sorts of Compilation Album covers rather then what I can easily find using a Google Images search.
I basically need a program that searches Google images based upon user defined fields from the MP3 ID3 tag i.e. Artist and Title tag, and then attaches the album art to the MP3.
Can anyone recommend one a freeware program?
Also some programs embed the Album Art into the MP3 somehow, but some other programs add the art as a separate file in the folder. Can the X3 use either embedded or separate file art? Any max or minimum pixel size for the artwork?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I use this one...works well for me.

sourceforge.net/projects/album-art/
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
eROCK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Garage List
I don't see Album art at all from my USB stick. I have the basic radio with smaller screen though - no navigation. Do I need the larger navigation screen in order to see album covers?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eROCK View Post
I don't see Album art at all from my USB stick. I have the basic radio with smaller screen though - no navigation. Do I need the larger navigation screen in order to see album covers?
Im same as you - and was told by dealer that you need the larger screen to see the album covers.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
dandanio
The one that drives!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 x3 35i/09 Jetta TDI

Thumbs up

MP3tag
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
As per dandanio, mp3tag is best

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529599

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Thanks for the link again sfax.

The 'big' problem I'm having is getting the correct album tag, and therefore the correct artwork.
Quite a few of my MP3 came from compilation albums. But I want to use the album art from the original album NOT 'Now Hits Number 101'!
I downloaded MusicBrainz Picard- and the auto tagging works well apart from the album name and art work.
If I just Google image search the Artist and Track Name it virtually always shows the correct artwork- why can't I find a program which can do this??

I'll keep searching for an answer, and post back here.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Thanks for the link again sfax.

The 'big' problem I'm having is getting the correct album tag, and therefore the correct artwork.
Quite a few of my MP3 came from compilation albums. But I want to use the album art from the original album NOT 'Now Hits Number 101'!
I downloaded MusicBrainz Picard- and the auto tagging works well apart from the album name and art work.
If I just Google image search the Artist and Track Name it virtually always shows the correct artwork- why can't I find a program which can do this??

I'll keep searching for an answer, and post back here.
You've got way too much time on your hands!

If I also had way too much time on my hands, I could probably write something to do this. Have done some mp3 tag manipulation in C# before

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You've got way too much time on your hands!

If I also had way too much time on my hands, I could probably write something to do this. Have done some mp3 tag manipulation in C# before
I don't have too much time otherwise I would go through my mp3 collection 1 by 1 to get the metadata sorted out.
I can't believe its this difficult to sort out.
All I want to do is search using 'Artist and Track Name' for Single Name OR Album Name NOT Compilation/Various Albums.
There's got to be a script out there for Musicbrainz picard
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Well Philtrick123, how bad to you want this? I just found a program that works with MP3tag that allows you to import cover art not only with the usual album name, but by artist and song. Trouble is, I found reference to it in the MP3tag forum but closed my browser and lost history. It's call something like DisCoverArt 2.***. Good Luck. If I find it again, I'll post.

BAM... I found it!
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=17057
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for everyone's help with this.
I tried a number of solutions but ended up using Mp3tag to manual set the artwork for each mp3 in my Various folder. Laborious task and it only searches Amazon for artwork, but not too bad with only 40 mp3's to tag.
I tried a program called Album Art Downloader which looks great, BUT it only works if each of your mix of mp3's are in separate folders, and it doesn't seem to embed the artwork into the mp3.
My issue stems from the fact that the mp3s I'm using come from Compilation Albums not the original Artist Albums. Therefore the album tag is wrong.
I used 'MusicBrainz Picard' to try and auto correct the tags, but it tried to be too clever and could see that my mp3 came from a compilation album. Looks like there used to be a an option to ignore Compilation Albums, but its been removed.
I still can't find a program which automatically retags my mp3's with the original artist album name i.e. U2, With or Without You, should be Album= 'Joshua Tree' NOT 'Now Hits 87' , and then embeds the artwork from the original album 'Joshua Tree' into the MP3.

I've run out of steam on this one. I must be missing a trick or an app to do all this for me.

The various folder on my USB stick now looks and plays well in the X3. With each Mp3 showing the correct Album Art. It takes up to 10 seconds to display the artwork once the track is playing.
Appreciate 0