BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Question Winter Wheels 530d to X3

I currently have an F11 MY11 530d Touring and have a set of 17" winter wheels & tyres to replace the standard 19" set when its cold...

Does anyone know if these will fit the X3 i have on order?

Fingers crossed they might...!

Thanks
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

No-one knows then...

The specs on the wheel fitments are as follows:

Vehicle Details - BMW 5 Series F11
Make : BMW
Model : 5 Series F11
Technical Data;
Production Year : 10 on - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Pitch Circle Diamter (PCD) : 5x120mm
or Bolt Pattern : 5x4.72inches
Wheel Offset : 15 to 30mm
Wheel Hub Center Bore : 72.6mm
Wheel Fittings : B 14x125mm

Vehicle Details - BMW X3 Series F25

Make : BMW
Model : X3 Series F25
Technical Data;
Production Year : 10 on - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Pitch Circle Diamter (PCD) : 5x120mm
or Bolt Pattern : 5x4.72inches
Wheel Offset : 30 to 50mm
Wheel Hub Center Bore : 72.6mm
Wheel Fittings : mm

The only thing different seems to be the offset - but have no idea if this would matter for a set of winters?

Ta...
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I think this has been discussed before on the forum. There might be an issue with the size of the brake callipers on the 35d.
Can your dealer confirm?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply...

After much searching for specs online that would tell me the brake disc sizes, I see that on ultimatespecs.com it lists the following:

BMW F25 X3 xDrive35d
Front Brakes - Disc dimensions : Vented Discs (328 mm)
Rear Brakes - Dics dimensions : Vented Discs (330 mm)

BMW F11 5 Series Touring 530d Aut
Front Brakes - Disc dimensions : Vented Discs (348 mm)
Rear Brakes - Dics dimensions : Vented Discs (330 mm)

So appears that the F25 X335DM will have smaller front brakes (discs, at least) than my F11 530dM, and the same on the rear... if the figures online are correct.

The 17's fit on my 5 series, so will fit over the brake discs.

Waiting for an email from my dealer re specs, so when he gets back to me i'll ask him to confirm.

Would a different "offset" necessarily be an issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Chitown-Irish
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblingtrout View Post
Would a different "offset" necessarily be an issue?
I have no real technical knowledge but I would have thought this would be the inital issue especially for the front when steering.

According to the Tire Rack:

Offset

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We have test fitted thousands of different vehicles for proper fitment. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.
2011 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO) Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former cars: 06 750i E65 (CPO) 07 E90 335i (bought used but had problematic iDrive so sold it to get 7-series)
Appreciate 0