BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
ADClapp
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2004 2.0 Diesel

Red face X3 2005 Advice required

Hi all, I have a 2005 2ltr diesel X3, Which have developed a strange whining noise which increases and decreases with speed. If I turn the A/C off and knock it out of gear and coast down hill with the engine at idle the noise persists again in turn with the increase and decrease of speed. Any ideas ?

I installed a K&N direct replacement filter to my previous X3 of the same spec but at service BMW removed and claimed it provided false air sensor reading to the mass meter. Anybody had the same experience or provide any advice on the subject.

Thanks for any advice offered

Cheers Andrew C
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

Andrew, where is the noise coming from? It could be transmission, drivetrain or wheel bearings. I have a 2005 3.0 litre which needed a new wheel bearing earlier this year, but you need to be more specific about where the noise is coming from. I have also heard stories about particular brands of tyres making more road noise as well. Have you replaced the tyres at all?

As for the K&N filter. I do love dealers. The BS they are capable of coming up with is truly inventive. I had a K&N on my five series and had no such problems. I bet that until they told you that you had not noticed any problems at all. Looking at the diesels the air flow meters look very similar to the ones in my old five. The fact that K&N makes such a product suggests to me also that it is a proven solution. Tell the buggers to put the K&N back and refund you the cost of the air filter they charged you. I intend to put a K&N in my X3 when its due for a change. My suggestion is to get a reputable aftermarket BMW service centre to do your work.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you run a K&N it will make your engine oil far dirtier far quicker as it lets in more particles which get ingested into the engine. That doesn't worry me as I change my oil evert 7,500 kms or sooner. But be aware of that if you want to keep the car for any time.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
ADClapp
Rep

Unhappy X3 Issues

Hi, thank you for your reply, the noise seems to be coming from the n/s/r wheel area. The car did suffer some damage to the tyre in that corner, my wife had a sudden deflation but she said she did not hit anything, there was damage to the under body tray and a torn side wall on the tyre. I wonder weather what ever damaged that tyre caused the damage to the wheel bearing / drive shaft ? I had to put a new tyre on that corner and its not an approved type so that could be some of the problem. The rumble increases when you turn right a the weight is concentrated to that corner of the car. I been to a Gearbox / diff expert and they are illusive as to what it might be and what £500 to even take a look, the same applys to our local BMW dealer. I have checked the diff oil and is all OK at this time. I don't have endless amounts of money to spend on it and I'm trying my best to locate the trouble spot myself.

Regards Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:22 AM   #4
x3oiler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADClapp View Post
I had to put a new tyre on that corner and its not an approved type so that could be some of the problem.
um "a new" tyre? as is "a".

Alarm bells are tinkling in the back of the head thinking transfer case self destruct . . . . you really should not have unmatched tyres side to side. The tread depth should also match as near as possible the same left to right side. Even front to back the tread difference should be 2mm max. Hate to scare you and I hope I am completely wrong.
      11-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
ADClapp
Rep

X3 Diif issues.

I'm scared to admit it but I think your right. I am going to get 4 approved tyres fitted to ease the situation. I will try and get somebody to clarify the required action needed to sort in next few days and let you know the outcome. Thank you for your valued advice and for taking the time to reply. Cheers Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

Agree with X3oiler. If it was all good before that incident and its not now, its a good bet that the tyre is the main culprit. Tell us what how you go with a new set.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
ADClapp
Rep

Ongoing X3 issues.

Hi all, Today I have taken the car to my local garage to try to get a better understanding of whats wrong. They confirmed the tires are not helping the situation, but best of all they think after a brief look that the whining is infact a wheel bearing and possible a damaged drive shaft. They think the diff is ok all but needing a replacement oil seal. If this is the case then I'm 2 steps further forward for once in my life. I will post more in next few days as car is going in for more detailed examination in morning. Fingers crossed. I have also at last fixed my electric mirror / window failure issues - The drivers mirror actuator being the cause and require replacement.

Cheers for now

Andrew.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
ADClapp
Rep

Update - BAD NEWS

The bad news came today -the diff bearings require replacement. I was hoping to get away with a wheel bearing. Now the next mission is finding somebody who will carry out the repairs in Devon, England for a sensible price and not a small fortune. Anybody have any contacts in this area that could help.
I'm starting to wish I never returned to the BMW world, The staff of BMW UK don't care who you are and what the problems might be, when you call for advice you are just taking up time for which they could be doing something else.
Local BMW dealers just want silly amounts of money for the smallest task.
Trading standards should look into there poor service and charges.
I recently had a major failure with a out of warranty by 2 years VW golf and a call to VW uk got the car 2.5k of repairs FOC from a 10 min conversation.
When you call BMW everything is about how much money you have and nothing seems to be based on keeping customer happy and returning to the brand.
Appreciate 0