BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
lovebimmers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35I

Why is this light on and what does it mean? US spec car

Hi all. Hope to see if anyone knew what this light means. My car is a 2014 x3 35i located in the US. It drives fine but this light won't go away. Weather has been cold this past week from 16-40degrees.

Was hoping if anyone can help me out before I have to schedule an appointment with service. Hopefully it's nothing serious as it's been on for the past 30miles and drives fine.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
According to my US X3 manual this is a warning light for engine functions. The recommendation is that you have the vehicle checked by a BMW service center to determine the reason for this warning.
For additional information, refer to Onboard Diagnostics socket and to page 216 of the Owner's Manual.

On page 216, it states:
The warning lamp lights up:
Emissions are deteriorating. Have the vehicle checked as soon as possible.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 03-11-2017 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Does your gas cap click when tightened? If it is cold out, it is possible some moisture froze in the gas cap and is making it difficult to seal properly. An improperly tightened gas cap may cause this engine check light.

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebimmers View Post
Hi all. Hope to see if anyone knew what this light means. My car is a 2014 x3 35i located in the US. It drives fine but this light won't go away. Weather has been cold this past week from 16-40degrees.

Was hoping if anyone can help me out before I have to schedule an appointment with service. Hopefully it's nothing serious as it's been on for the past 30miles and drives fine.
Thanks in advance.
Check that the lining of the gas cap is nice and clean, also make sure the line that is connected to the gas cap is nice and clean. This happen to me a few months ago, once I cleaned the gas cap, the check engine light disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #5
lovebimmers
Private
Rep

Thanks for the response! I cleaned out the gas cap. It was pretty clean to begin with but I took out the rubber gasket and cleaned it anyways. When putting back cap I noticed NOW the click. When I got gas earlier today I turned the cap pretty tight but I still didn't hear a click. Weird.

Ba ba boosh- the line to the cap was clean also. Why would that string effect the cap in anyway? Also how long/many miles did you have to drive the car before the light went away?

Thanks again for the help
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Unless the codes are cleared with a code reader, it may take one or more completed drive cycles without detecting an emissions problem before the check engine light clears. The required test cycle may need to meet specific driving parameters.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=854635

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=452433
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
lovebimmers
Private
Rep

Just an update. I went to autozone to get the car scanned. Code came up P0456 which is the gas cap. Thankful it's nothing major and don't have to waste time bringing it to dealer. Although I may have to if it doesn't go out in a week or so. I don't drive the car much except on weekends as I take the subway to work on weekdays. With the big snowstorm coming in 2 days I may not drive it for a week and half till most of it melts. Only good thing about living in the NY metro area.
FYI- Autozone does not clear the codes. They only read them and let you know what it is. The autozone rep has no idea why everyone thinks they do.

Thanks again! for all the replies. It definitely helped in my case
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #8
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
This is a perennial problem in older BMWs, no matter what the model or engine. We have not had it on our 2015, 2016 cars, but it may just be a function of age. Worst case: buy a new gas cap. OEM is not a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #9
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

Traditionally when the check engine light comes on solid it means its something emissions related. The only time you really have to worry is usually if there is a flashing check engine light as that means something bigger is wrong like a misfire or something else along those lines. At least that's how it works on most other vehicles, not sure if BMW maybe does things differently.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #10
seff5677
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F25 X3 Xdrive28D

I just had my car in on friday, had the same light on. Turned out to be a bad metering line which was fixed under warranty. I also didn't notice any difference in driving while the light was on.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
The Actron brand code readers (Autozone/Pep Boys) clears codes. It's about $90 US. I use the hell out of mine on my older cars to read/clear etc. OBDII hook up. FWIW. You could use the OBDII dongle and various apps to clear it too. Might be cheaper.
      03-15-2017, 06:19 PM   #12
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Just an update. I went to autozone to get the car scanned. Code came up P0456 which is the gas cap. Thankful it's nothing major and don't have to waste time bringing it to dealer. Although I may have to if it doesn't go out in a week or so. I don't drive the car much except on weekends as I take the subway to work on weekdays. With the big snowstorm coming in 2 days I may not drive it for a week and half till most of it melts. Only good thing about living in the NY metro area.
FYI- Autozone does not clear the codes. They only read them and let you know what it is. The autozone rep has no idea why everyone thinks they do.

If it is gas cap, it should only be on for about a few miles or even after an overnight restart of the engine, then the check engine icon should disappear. If it's still flashing the gas cap code, it could be the fuel filter or bad gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
lovebimmers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
Quote:

If it is gas cap, it should only be on for about a few miles or even after an overnight restart of the engine, then the check engine icon should disappear. If it's still flashing the gas cap code, it could be the fuel filter or bad gas.
Light is not flashing but still on. I have an appointment 2 weeks from now with dealer as that's the first spot they have available with a loaner. That's fine by me as I won't be driving the car anyways with all the ice and snow out and the fact that it's buried in my backyard with the snow. Thanks for all the relies and I'll keep you all updated with what dealership says is the problem
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
lovebimmers
Private
Rep

Well I now have an update. Dropped off my car this morning and got a call at 3:30pm. Issue is due to the carbon canister. It's a new issue that BMW is aware of and there is currently no fix at the moment. Bmw is working on it and stated there will be an official fix sometime beginning of April. But it's perfectly fine to drive the car the SA stated and it's just a fault triggering a sensor to go off thinking there is a leak in the gas tank when there really isn't.

I had two options. To continue driving the bare bones X1 loaner for the next 2-3weeks until BMW comes out with an official release or take back my car until the proper fix is available. Once the SA started the case then they have to hold on to my car per BMW so they can properly track the case.

I chose option 2. I want my car back until the proper fix is issued
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #15
lovebimmers
Private
Rep

Apparently I'm the first for the SA to have this issue. They just released info to the dealers like 1week ago of this issue. But no solution yet. SA told me I'm exactly in line of the model make and vin numbers for this issue. Looked up the part on Amazon for the carbon canister. It's a $450 part. Glad I'm still within warranty
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 04:22 AM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

CEL = Check Engine Lights can be either serious or false positives. Only way to know if to scan vehicle.
Appreciate 0