BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

BMW Live question

I got my X3 3.5i recently, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. However, I ordered the car with BMW Live option (6AL). Although I have the option under my Connected Drive menu, I do not have the options in the telephone menu to enable data over customer bluetooth connection , which according to the manual is how it is supposed to connect. Note that I am in SA and we do not have the build-in SIM on the vehicle (or if we do, it's disabled). I had a look at a F30 at the dealer which was has 6AL and 614 (Internet) and this has the telephone options described in the manuals. Had it back to the dealer and he now says he believes you have to have 614 (internet) as well to make the BMW Live work.

The dealer has now said he will retrofit/enable internet (614) for the same price as what it would have cost me if I ordered it like that from factory, which I suppose is not a bad compromise.

Anyway, so why did they allow me to spec the car without it, if it is required for BMW Live ? Does anybody have BMW Live (6AL) without internet (614) ?

Any other ideas ?
Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

What are you calling "BMW Live"? Stuff like the weather, news, Google search etc? You don't need the Internet 614 option for any of this stuff. 614 is just a browser. 614 wasn't even available when my X3 was made and I have BMW Live (if it's as described above).

If you have no SIM, your connection has to be tethered from a phone as you've alluded to. This is also used for things like My BMW Remote and BMW Assist

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
What are you calling "BMW Live"? Stuff like the weather, news, Google search etc? You don't need the Internet 614 option for any of this stuff. 614 is just a browser. 614 wasn't even available when my X3 was made and I have BMW Live (if it's as described above).

If you have no SIM, your connection has to be tethered from a phone as you've alluded to. This is also used for things like My BMW Remote and BMW Assist
Do we know where the BMW SIM card is placed? Is it possible to insert your own SIM?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Do we know where the BMW SIM card is placed? Is it possible to insert your own SIM?
You aren't the first to ask but I don't know the answer I'm afraid. I assume it's buried deep in the CIC somewhere so you would at least need to pull the unit out.

I am interested as it would be good to be able use a 3G SIM, or 4G soon rather than the current offering which I think is GPRS and EDGE. Not sure how this would go down with BMW as they have the SIM registered for BMW Assist

You'd also need some coding changes to switch from tethered to built-in SIM

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You'd also need some coding changes to switch from tethered to built-in SIM
True
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

@sfax - Thanks for the reply, yes I am indeed referring to the Weather, Google Local Search, etc. The problem is indeed that I do not have an option to tether my phone. I have attached a picture of the options screen from another vehicle, and the circled option is not available under my telephone bluetooth options as explained in the manual.

@April1 - Seeing as you seem to be helping out with a lot of coding on this forum, any ideas on whether the car is indeed just configured incorrectly, or is there something else going on here ?
Attached Images

Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist

Last edited by djdewet; 10-30-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdewet View Post

@April1 - Seeing as you seem to be helping out with a lot of coding on this forum, any ideas on whether the car is indeed just configured incorrectly, or is there something else going on here ?
Coding Internet over Bluetooth is not that easy in US but you are lucky. I suggest let the dealer add BMW Live + Internet over Bluetooth for you. He need not add any hardware for you, so I think you have room for negotiations.

You can go to bmwvin.com, get your car's configuration and pass it to me.

Last edited by April1; 10-30-2012 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Your car has 6NK Bluetooth (No BMW Assist), 6VC Combox, and 609 Navigation, so it can be coded for Internet over Bluetooth.

You will have to add following to your VO:

+ 614
+ 615
+ 6AB

And then code combo box.

That's what your dealer would do.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep

Thanks for the info April1,

Had the car at the dealer last week, and they enabled the data over bluetooth (Technician said Teleservices was not coded in the car, and apparently that was what he added ), He did not add 614, but I am happy as my BMW Live is working now.

Was covered under warranty , so although it required a trip to the dealer, it is working as expected now, so I am happy. All of Weather, Google Local Search, Panaramio, etc available now via my phone bluetooth connection.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #10
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

We are happy for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Chariotrider
Rep
Drives: 2013 X328i

Sorry to hijack this discussion but is the BMW live option included with the technology package for US customers? The technology package calls out BMW assist but when I select BMW Online it says this is a subscription that is tied to BMW assist.
      11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

We do not have Internet thru Bluetooth option in US.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariotrider View Post
Sorry to hijack this discussion but is the BMW live option included with the technology package for US customers? The technology package calls out BMW assist but when I select BMW Online it says this is a subscription that is tied to BMW assist.
You need an active BMW Assist subscription because BMW Live uses a SIM in the car to get its data

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
Mlodeks
Rep
Drives: 2011 f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdewet View Post
Thanks for the info April1,

Had the car at the dealer last week, and they enabled the data over bluetooth (Technician said Teleservices was not coded in the car, and apparently that was what he added ), He did not add 614, but I am happy as my BMW Live is working now.

Was covered under warranty , so although it required a trip to the dealer, it is working as expected now, so I am happy. All of Weather, Google Local Search, Panaramio, etc available now via my phone bluetooth connection.

Can you PM me your VO so I can compare to mine. For last few days I,m trying to code Bmw Live with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:09 AM   #15
besbmw3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i, E90

BMW 320i, E90, 2005 coolant temp

I want to know officail information.
98-103 grad for engine is normal or not?
SHould I change Thermostat?
Appreciate 0