BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Nicktian
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M package

x3 35i engine noise

Got my x3 3 month ago, every time when I parked my car, the engine has loud noise, sounds like "wong, wong, wong", went to dealer few times to check about it, first time they didn't hear it, second time they said is some thing wrong with the AC system and they told me they fix it, but when I back to home, the engine still have the noise. Went back to dealer third time, they hear the sound and told me is normal and send back my car. But when I test drive the x3, I didn't hear any thing like this. Anybody drive x3 35i, is your car have sound like "wong, wong, wong"? This sound bother me a lot. Also I am live in Canada, if the car is a lemon, what should I do?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Nothing wong with my 35i.

If a so-called "lemon", work with the dealer and BMW Canada, no lemon-laws in Canada.
      07-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Lol Tuco..

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktian View Post
Got my x3 3 month ago, every time when I parked my car, the engine has loud noise, sounds like "wong, wong, wong",...
Does you car make the noise all the time?
Is it just after starting when cold?
Is the noise only when the engine is idling?
Does the noise get worse if you rev the engine slightly (try 2000 rpm in neutral)?

Some X3's occasionally will rev "up and down" for a few seconds immediately after a start and most have a audible "ticking" sound from the fuel injectors that can usually only be heard when you're in a garage or with the hood open.

If you still hear the noise and the dealer does not, you might ask the dealer to let you run your can next to one of their other X3s with the same engine to compare the sound. Doing this inside the dealers service department should point out any differences in the sound.

Also, the automatic transmission torque converter makes some noise at idle and the transmission "bell housing" has a access port on its side. Some X3's were delivered without a rubber plug in the access port (low on the passinger side) which does let some noise out. The rubber plug is a very loose fit and can fall out on its own if not installed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Nicktian
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Does the noise get worse if you rev the engine slightly (try 2000 rpm in neutral)?

Some X3's occasionally will rev "up and down" for a few seconds immediately after a start and most have a audible "ticking" sound from the fuel injectors that can usually only be heard when you're in a garage or with the hood open.

If you still hear the noise and the dealer does not, you might ask the dealer to let you run your can next to one of their other X3s with the same engine to compare the sound. Doing this inside the dealers service department should point out any differences in the sound.

Also, the automatic transmission torque converter makes some noise at idle and the transmission "bell housing" has a access port on its side. Some X3's were delivered without a rubber plug in the access port (low on the passinger side) which does let some noise out. The rubber plug is a very loose fit and can fall out on its own if not installed correctly.
Yes, almost every time I park the car I can hear the noise, such us waiting for traffic light.

The noise coming up when the car's engine warm up.

Yes, when I drive the car on the road I cannot hear the sound, maybe because the road noise, I am not sure.

Some time after I drove the car with high rpm, the sound become louder.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktian View Post
Yes, almost every time I park the car I can hear the noise, such us waiting for traffic light.

The noise coming up when the car's engine warm up.

Yes, when I drive the car on the road I cannot hear the sound, maybe because the road noise, I am not sure.

Some time after I drove the car with high rpm, the sound become louder.
The 35i's N55 engine is not the quietist engine around, but your description of the noise as "wong, wong, wong" sounds pretty strange. Noise from the A/C system can be isolated by turning off the A/C compressor using the "snowflake" button. You should certainly check that since as the weather has been warming up, you're A/C compressor will be running more than when you first received the car.

The N55 uses a variable oil pump and a "on-demand" water pump that do change their mode of operation as the engine warms up and could change their sound. The alternator loading is also changed depending on driving conditions and this can change the slight "humming" or "whining" noise that an alternator can sometimes make.

The “normal” noise of a N55 engine at idle or low speed is usually described as a “ticking”, “clicking” or “buzzing” sound which mostly comes from the fuel injectors and the variable duration overhead cam mechanism. Mine certainly makes this noise, but it tends to get quieter as the engine warms up, not louder. I’ve never heard the N55 make a noise that sounds anything like a “wong” and I’ve driven a couple of X3 35i’s, a 335i X-drive sedan, and a 535.

Since the dealer claims that they hear the sound and it's "normal", they should be willing to let you compare it to a X3 demo vehicle to demonstrate to you that the sound occurs on other cars.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Nicktian
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The 35i's N55 engine is not the quietist engine around, but your description of the noise as "wong, wong, wong" sounds pretty strange. Noise from the A/C system can be isolated by turning off the A/C compressor using the "snowflake" button. You should certainly check that since as the weather has been warming up, you're A/C compressor will be running more than when you first received the car.

The N55 uses a variable oil pump and a "on-demand" water pump that do change their mode of operation as the engine warms up and could change their sound. The alternator loading is also changed depending on driving conditions and this can change the slight "humming" or "whining" noise that an alternator can sometimes make.

The “normal” noise of a N55 engine at idle or low speed is usually described as a “ticking”, “clicking” or “buzzing” sound which mostly comes from the fuel injectors and the variable duration overhead cam mechanism. Mine certainly makes this noise, but it tends to get quieter as the engine warms up, not louder. I’ve never heard the N55 make a noise that sounds anything like a “wong” and I’ve driven a couple of X3 35i’s, a 335i X-drive sedan, and a 535.

Since the dealer claims that they hear the sound and it's "normal", they should be willing to let you compare it to a X3 demo vehicle to demonstrate to you that the sound occurs on other cars.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.
thank you for your answer
Appreciate 0