BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

MY X3 20d Sapphire Black, Oyster / Sienna

A couple of days in and can honestly say I’m well chuffed, 100 + miles on the clock and gently running in (ok not too gently and having fun without being too harsh)

The X3 seems huge compared to my old E60 (its actually smaller) but it moves like a 3 series and corners on rails.

Below are comments on the options I added

8 Speed Auto Transmission

Superb compared to my E60 manual, at this time I cannot see me going back to manual. Based on 20d F25 X3 in the UK I would say stretch your budget to auto if you can - It really is that good.

Pro Media Package

I find the idrive quite fiddly and there are far too many options and menus that don’t seem to make that much sense
Pro Nav is good (a few strange instructions “take a half left” for instance WTF does that mean??) but with full postcode search and traffic warnings it compares to my Tom Tom (expensive but looks great being integrated into dash compared to sticking to front screen)

Plugging in ipod makes CD’s redundant for me and I’m slowly understanding fiddly menus (steering wheel control allows you to change tracks on the ipod)

Xenon’s

Look very cool and expensive, not had chance to use them in the dark too much but definitely recommend and would say value for money

Business Speakers

Sound is better than my standard system on the E60 but can’t really tell by how much

Sport Seats

Very comfortable, I always have SE spec cars and would happily recommend the sport seats, the side back supports are fantastic and hug you to stop any shifting in your seat no matter how you throw it round the bends.

Sports Steering Wheel

Looks good and feels nice, a bargain as a £90 option but not worth retro fitting after delivery

Panoramic Sunroof

Makes a massive difference to interior light, it has been beautiful weather since taking delivery but I can’t see me closing the cover anytime soon. Not sure I will open it very often and it is disappointing that it does not fully open but 100% glad I added it as an option.

Oyster & Sienna Wood

None of the photos online or in magazine do the combo justice, I’m well pleased and think it looks awesome and very classy (drivers seats was grubby on collection but nothing a wipe with a bay wipe couldn’t sort). It is the best effort for a BMW wood trim I have seen (excluding wood trim higher in BMW range new 5,7 and X5)

xLine Package

Looks fantastic with Black

Sun Glass & Blinds

Great combo of looks and protection for my young son in the rear

Accessories

I have also had the Titanium Kidney Grilles fitted by dealer and fitted the Chrome exhaust trim which just about finishes the look for me

More pics and comments to follow in due course

Name:  front.JPG
Views: 13309
Size:  169.4 KB

Name:  driver side.JPG
Views: 14389
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  rear.JPG
Views: 14750
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  exhaust trim.JPG
Views: 14830
Size:  138.6 KB

Name:  alloy.JPG
Views: 12310
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  door.JPG
Views: 12256
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  moonroof.JPG
Views: 12130
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  interior b.JPG
Views: 24588
Size:  105.1 KB

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 04-10-2011 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Nice road test Bimmer you could get a second job on 5th gear. Interior looks top notch - punches above its weight here, I think. Especially with the oyster/wood combo's. Keep the feedback coming
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Love it!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 20d (2011)

Excellent review and pics, thanks. Almost the same options as the 20d I've ordered, except mine's white and oyster.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I've just ordered the X3 3.d (190kw/560nm) with following for July delivery:
Vermillion Red
Oyster/Black interior
Darker wood trim
Dynamic Damper control
Performance Control
Pro Nav
Pro Sound with extended USB/Bluetooth connectivity and voice
Xenon with washer
18" 308 Y-spoke
Top view

Basically down sizing from an E53 X5 3.0d. With power to weight ratio, the X3 will have more grunt and handling. This is for my wife to complement my E92 M3 MY07.
The car is slotted in the May production and by the time we receive it will be end July and in our winter.
      04-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
1erich
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

The black and oyster leather are a classic colour combination; very nice. Glad you are happy with your options.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Beautiful to the extent I am jealous. I see your car doesn't have VDC, how is the ride on some of the bumpy UK road, absorbs well?

Last edited by Bimar; 04-10-2011 at 12:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Beautiful to the extent I am jealous. I see your car doesn't have VDC, how is the ride on some of the bumpy UK road, absorbs well?
Cheers for comments guys and mrsadams

Inamik, never had VDC before but after a good run yesterday on the wide variety of UK country roads not sure I need it. Far more comfortable than E60 so far but only fair comparison will be early july when we go south for a week at the beach and cover some real miles!

The raised seating position is great and think you would be well pleased moving from your E60 also

Xenon's

Went out to find a 24 hour chemist late last night for my son and got a chance to see the Xenon's in action - WOW! Never had xenon's before but they will be an automatic choice on all future cars. If you do any night driving buy them they are fantastic it better than driving on full beam with standard lights!

Auto hold

Using this a lot and is a really neat tool along with auto transmission

Auto Start/Stop

Cant decide if this will be turned off and playing around both ways, after stop the re-start is really quick, so would say its pretty good

18" 307 V Spokes

Look an inch to small for me but they do add to the supreme ride comfort

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 04-10-2011 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Great Pic's, good write up.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Great pics and review Bimmer. Beautiful combination and that's the first UK titanium grille I've seen too - looks the part. Still might get this for mine. You'll never a buy a car without xenons again

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

As I said in the other thread, the car looks great, Bimmer.

Really interested in how you continue to get on with the Auto Stop/Start. On my test drive of a manual, it never kicked in (generally don't nick into neutral when waiting) but used it quite a lot when testing an auto. I thought it was pretty good with the exception of trying to get out on a busy roundabout when it was less than helpful. Just pressed start and that seemed to override.

Also wasn't clear what the advantage of Auto Hold was over the brake. I presume that it allows you to hover over the throttle in drive (?) or do you need to put into N?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Congrats! Beautiful combo!
      04-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #14
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post

Really interested in how you continue to get on with the Auto Stop/Start. On my test drive of a manual, it never kicked in (generally don't nick into neutral when waiting) but used it quite a lot when testing an auto. I thought it was pretty good with the exception of trying to get out on a busy roundabout when it was less than helpful. Just pressed start and that seemed to override.

Also wasn't clear what the advantage of Auto Hold was over the brake. I presume that it allows you to hover over the throttle in drive (?) or do you need to put into N?
Will let you know if I use start/stop everyday

Autohold stops any backward roll on hill etc required less with auto but good feature and gives the right leg a rest

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post

Bustofa,

Use SS everyday. 2 options for a quicker get away, 1) come to a standstill and the stand on the brake pedal hard, release momentarily and put foot back on the brake. This disables SS. 2) 1ith auto hold activated (which is great) then just touch the accelerator and the engine starts without releasing the parking brake - just press the accel to go when your ready to pull out. In crawling stop start traffic the SS is a bit cumbersome so sometimes I switch it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

You can control whether stop start kicks by how hard you press the brake pedal. It needs a firm press to stop the engine so if you're somewhere where you expect a wait, you can press firmly and it will stop, whereas if you're somewhere where you really don't want it stopping the engine, you can lightly press it and the engine won't stop

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, guys. Really helpful and, although a smallish issue, it's all helping to inform the auto v manual decision!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You can control whether stop start kicks by how hard you press the brake pedal. It needs a firm press to stop the engine so if you're somewhere where you expect a wait, you can press firmly and it will stop, whereas if you're somewhere where you really don't want it stopping the engine, you can lightly press it and the engine won't stop
That explains it, better than the manual is sfax

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Ah your making me think I've gone with the wrong choice with Manual now. Too late to change now and my budget is shot. Well chuffed I've followed bimmer with the exterior and interior, it looks great. Only 3 month to go!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #21
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Cheers for comments guys and mrsadams

Inamik, never had VDC before but after a good run yesterday on the wide variety of UK country roads not sure I need it. Far more comfortable than E60 so far but only fair comparison will be early july when we go south for a week at the beach and cover some real miles!

The raised seating position is great and think you would be well pleased moving from your E60 also

Xenon's

Went out to find a 24 hour chemist late last night for my son and got a chance to see the Xenon's in action - WOW! Never had xenon's before but they will be an automatic choice on all future cars. If you do any night driving buy them they are fantastic it better than driving on full beam with standard lights!

Auto hold

Using this a lot and is a really neat tool along with auto transmission

Auto Start/Stop

Cant decide if this will be turned off and playing around both ways, after stop the re-start is really quick, so would say its pretty good

18" 307 V Spokes

Look an inch to small for me but they do add to the supreme ride comfort
Curious, on your owners manual, what are the diesel specs the 20d can take ie lowest to highest hopefully its in ppm. It must say something
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #22
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
Ah your making me think I've gone with the wrong choice with Manual now. Too late to change now and my budget is shot. Well chuffed I've followed bimmer with the exterior and interior, it looks great. Only 3 month to go!
Pugger, manual will be just fine and fun! I'm just enjoying my first auto and very impressed vs my manual 520 with same previous generation engine

Those 3 months will soon go

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0