BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
:...
I also believe the quality control in the Spartanburg or whatever it's called plant is not in par with the German quality checks
The major issue I, and several other members of this forum have had (the scary display of multiple system failures including brakes, 4 wheel drive and stability control) not to mention the long delays in getting satisfactory repairs (in my case almost two months) seem to be related to poor quality control on a part manufactured and presumably tested, in Germany. Incidentally, this is not a small, cheap component. It costs several thousand dollars and the installation labor charges exceed $1600.

The transfer case torque sensor issue seems to be a relatively isolated problem, but I know of at least (3) X3 owners who have had the same problem. This has been the only serious issue with my X3.

I had a 3-week wait for the German parts to be delivered. If I have any issues with BMW NA, it's that they are not stocking a full complement of X3 replacement parts in the US even though the cars are assembled here.

The assembly and finish done in Spartenburg seems to be of the highest quality, and was not to blame for the "serious" problem I had, and sincerely hope is fully corrected.

For much of the time my car was in the shop, I had a new (250 miles on the odo when I received it) 328i loaner. Its interior panel assembly was sloppy and the steering was so numb that if it was mine I would have been very disappointed. The next loaner was a 535i X-drive. It was much better "put together" than the Series3, but was no better than my X3.

Every car (not every model) has a different personality.

In 1973 I purchased the first FIAT X19 delivered in Chicago ( a yellow and black example). At that time FIAT did not have a reputation for reliability (maybe the understatement of the decade). I drove the "heck" out of that car for (4) years and it was TOTALLY reliable. Nothing broke or failed. It started and ran better than any car I had owned up until then including a 1970 BMW 2002Tii. Some (individual cars) are reliable as an anvil and some are fragile prima donnas -just like people.

Last edited by Lotus7; 06-08-2011 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #24
Santa69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie k View Post
production #6665549 so bite me!

Only love can conquer hate.

Hope your car gets sorted out soon

Bring on the X3M
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #25
F48Hawk
OFP
Rep
Drives: 2000 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
The issue is not that an X3 cannot have severe problems; but the poster, on one of his/her first posts lists numerous problems in a rant, makes one very suspicious that he/she is just stirring up trouble. The internet is a wonderful info source, but there are those immature ppl who just stir up trouble. In the end, who cares? Anything man-made can have problems.

And, based on info I have read, the Spartanburg plant is actaully run quite well. Just because it's in America doesn't mean that it is automatically inferior to the German plants.
+1
2007 E83 3.0si TS - Sold
2000 E46 323i AW - Sold
Appreciate 0