BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
macphin
Private
Rep
Drives: M135

Auto gearbox jerking(shaking) on low rpm

Is anyone had same issue, when you start driving on 1200-1500 rpm car or transmission shakes, in the moment when I start acceleration, but very very slowly.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

If by shake, you might mean what I'd describe as a lurch (speeding-slowing), then yes. I've experienced this since the "lag" software update.
      09-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I think I know what you are talking about because I did notice that a couple times when my car was fairly new, i.e. first month of ownership.

There has been no further evidence of it so I chalked it up to the adaptive transmission learning how I drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphin View Post
Is anyone had same issue, when you start driving on 1200-1500 rpm car or transmission shakes, in the moment when I start acceleration, but very very slowly.
      09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphin
I got it too. I have the 30d engine and it's very noticeable both in comfort and sport. My car was built February 2012. I first noticed this after 3500km. Now after 17000km it's worse than ever.

Had the dealer look at it a few weeks ago but they said they wouldn't upgrade to the latest software because BMW found a bug in it. The did not know anything more about when a fix is due.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

No issues in my 3.5i
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
dencobmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I have experienced a jerking or pulsating on acceleration in that RPM range on my 2013 28i.

I asked the dealer about it and they said they couldn't reproduce it and it was likely due to the gas I was using. Of course.

I don't think its the transmission though. Because I've gone into manual and experienced it too.

Interestingly, I haven't experienced it since the weather here has cooled off. Seems like I will have the issue occasionally if the temp outside is above 85F or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphin View Post
I mainly use public transit for work, so I take out the car once in 2 or 3 days.

Jerking (sometimes you feel like engine is going to stall like popping a clutch in manual transmission) happens when I start driving the car immediately after ignition. If I leave the engine idling for couple of minutes and start driving then I don't notice the shakes.

I assumed that car was parked for more than 2 days so the lurching happens...as someone mentioned it's been happening since s/w updated for throttle delay. I only use 93 octane.

Last edited by saulgoodman; 10-01-2012 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
macluhak
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

I've had this for some time now.
However I was lucky enough to be able to reproduce with a service manager driving the car.
They've tried to "fix" the car three times now. Not counting the first occasion when they brushed me off, blaming the DPF regeneration. The thing is I used to drive an X1 2.0d before the X3, never had any jerking or shuddering (manual box). Except for when the wife refused to use the stick...

Anyhow, just received a phonecall from my service manager. I'm scheduled for a complete software update on 22 October. This software was promised end of August. According to my service manager, this software will for sure solve my problems.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Last edited by macluhak; 10-04-2012 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
macphin
Private
Rep
Drives: M135

Thanks, I guess it's a software related issue. Will be waiting for new software, and if somebody could write in this thread when the new software will be released, so I can check with my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR
Quote:
I got it too. I have the 30d engine and it's very noticeable both in comfort and sport. My car was built February 2012. I first noticed this after 3500km. Now after 17000km it's worse than ever.

Had the dealer look at it a few weeks ago but they said they wouldn't upgrade to the latest software because BMW found a bug in it. The did not know anything more about when a fix is due.
I have a 3.0D x3, 2012. I have recently had my engine software updated. It was changed on September 18 after experiencing jerkiness at low rpms. Much improved afterwards but still some very subtle jerkiness from time to time and not every day. Dealer suspected EGR problems and changed valve parameters in the EGR in addition to changing a air mass sensor.

What sw version do you refer to?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolien
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR
Quote:

I have a 3.0D x3, 2012. I have recently had my engine software updated. It was changed on September 18 after experiencing jerkiness at low rpms. Much improved afterwards but still some very subtle jerkiness from time to time and not every day. Dealer suspected EGR problems and changed valve parameters in the EGR in addition to changing a air mass sensor.

What sw version do you refer to?
Don't know the SW version. They showed me an internal e-mail about it. Will certainly call them and ask if there are new software.

211hk or 258?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
kolien
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Don't know the SW version. They showed me an internal e-mail about it. Will certainly call them and ask if there are new software.

211hk or 258?
211HK, production date 2011-12-01
I will see if I can get the SW version also.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
If by shake, you might mean what I'd describe as a lurch (speeding-slowing), then yes. I've experienced this since the "lag" software update.
Mine have the same thing happen before the engine warmed up every day after the software update.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #14
dathrilla
Rep
Drives: X3 20d on order

I have this issue too, 30d '12.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #15
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Can someone describe this issue in more detail. I'm interested to see if I can reproduce the problem on my 30d se.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Jerking is gone after changing from summer to winter setup. I swithed to winter setup 8 days ago, and I can almost say the issue is gone. It's very strange. I have the 369M staggered 19" wheels on my summer setup, and have standard 17" 305 wheels on winter.

If the problem is the staggered 369M's, why would BMW deliver these?
Could it be the tyres? Have the factory default PZero's on the 369M's and have Nokian Hakkapelitta on the 305's.

Or is it just a coincidense?

Last edited by RichardBR; 10-30-2012 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Jerking is gone after changing from summer to winter setup. I swithed to winter setup 8 days ago, and I can almost say the issue is gone. It's very strange. I have the 369M staggered 19" wheels on my summer setup, and have standard 17" 305 wheels on winter.

Could it be the tyres? Have the factory default PZero's on the 369M's and have Nokian Hakkapelitta on the 305's.

To me, that appears to indicate a slight drivetrain 'bunching' issue on the staggered tyres.

Slight variations in tyre pressures and tread depth could be involved, and a staggered setup with a small RC difference, could just push the limits to make the drivetrain very sensitive.

Are others with the issues on staggered wheel setups?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Interesting development. My car is a square setup (same width front/rear) so maybe bmw did find an issue with the staggered setup.
      10-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:

It was just a coincidense about the tires. Today, the jerking was back in full. Probably just a few days break because of the cold weather...

Which makes me think that it is outside temperature related?

On cold days (below 0C) = No jerking
Above 0C = Jerking

Any thoughts?

Richard
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #20
macluhak
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

Jerking temp related

On my 30d the judder seems to be related to engine temp. I find that judder may occur when the engine temp needle started registering increased temp and up to about 75-80 degrees C.

And yes, I posted earlier on possible solution with software update. Unfortunately the software did not solve my problem completely. The judder is still there, just less violent, and for sure less frequent.

I'll be talking to my service rep. Don't expect much from them though.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #21
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Hi guys. Need to wake this thread again.

About a year ago I got a SW update for the gearbox and the jerking was almost gone. From time to time I experienced little jerkiness, but much better. When I changed back to summertires in April this year, the jerking slowly came back and the last 3-4 months it is worse than ever.

I actually got the "Drivetrain malfunction" error on the screen the other morning driving in very slow traffic. It jerked really bad seconds before the error appeared. It's almost like you nearly stall the engine when driving manual stick.

I called them and they said they want to look at it. I delivered the car this morning and they're keeping the car until they figure it out. I have a rental now paid for by BMW.

Fingers crossed that they will fix it this time.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

I had a similar problem. The software update in late 2012 almost fixed the jerkiness but not quite. Earlier this year my car started jerking a lot more. I took it in and they found that the VTG motor (BMW called it Longitudinal Torque Motor) had failed on the transfer case though there was no error shown to the driver. They also updated the latest and final software fix for the jerkiness that came out in APril 2013 and now car is almost perfect! I can still feel a little jerk rarely but I can get past it if I feather the throttle gently. You can search on posts with my name to see the part numbers that were replaced.

Please do let us know what they find wrong with your car and post any part numbers they may have replaced. Thank you!

Quote:
Hi guys. Need to wake this thread again.

About a year ago I got a SW update for the gearbox and the jerking was almost gone. From time to time I experienced little jerkiness, but much better. When I changed back to summertires in April this year, the jerking slowly came back and the last 3-4 months it is worse than ever.

I actually got the "Drivetrain malfunction" error on the screen the other morning driving in very slow traffic. It jerked really bad seconds before the error appeared. It's almost like you nearly stall the engine when driving manual stick.

I called them and they said they want to look at it. I delivered the car this morning and they're keeping the car until they figure it out. I have a rental now paid for by BMW.

Fingers crossed that they will fix it this time.

Richard
Appreciate 0