BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
hossman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2006

Loss Of Power :-(

PLEASE HELP ..

i have a 2006 x3 3.0D. at low speeds drives ok but i have noticed a loss of acceleration, this is far more noticeable at higher speeds. there is no 'pull' above 70mph and when going up the slightest incline it is losing speed. could anyone please give me an indication of what the problem could be and an approximate cost to repair. (sorry im no expert on car diagnostics or engines unfortunately)

many thanks

mark
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
JimmyTheHand
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order, Porsche Macan

do you get any other symptoms - e.g. strange noises when you try an accelerate? It probably needs plugging into a diagnostic machine to reveal the issue - any decent independent service garages near you?

you might want to ask in more general BMW forum as it is likely a general issue as opposed to a specific X3 one

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=1
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/f...=72&mid=339769
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
waybar17
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93M3, F10 M5, E70X5, F11

Garage List
I would say it's either a shortage of 1) fuel or 2) air. Start by replacing the fuel filters and at least cleaning the air filter.

I replaced the fuel filter on mine as despite being fully serviced by BMW, the original fuel filter was filter (date stamped) and I couldn't even blow are through the old filter but the new filter had hardly any resistance to air flow. Both are quite easy to replace.

I'm in Doncaster if you need a hand
E70 X5
F11
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
therealdeal0_5
Wales
Rep
Drives: x3 3.0d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybar17 View Post
I would say it's either a shortage of 1) fuel or 2) air. Start by replacing the fuel filters and at least cleaning the air filter.

I replaced the fuel filter on mine as despite being fully serviced by BMW, the original fuel filter was filter (date stamped) and I couldn't even blow are through the old filter but the new filter had hardly any resistance to air flow. Both are quite easy to replace.

I'm in Doncaster if you need a hand
DPF fault is what it turned out to be on mine!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
Rodentmaster
Rep
Drives: .....pending

Sorry to re-float this but wish to add my experience..........
Same symptom as original poster.........

Gradually getting worse, put the foot down and the car would de-celerate....
(Background error code was P14A4)

BMW tech just kept repeating to go for long hard drive to run the car into DPF burnoff mode.....
Did that regularly for a month with no real improvement......same reply from BMW.
After chasing up copy of DIS and INPA, discovered quite by chance a fault logged for "Open Circuit DPF EGT".....secondary temperature probe in exhaust.

Turns out the car would not enter the DPF burn out mode due to the ECU not seeing the exhaust temperature criteria achieved.
This results in the DPF remaining fouled up.

Probe was definitely open circuit.
Replaced the probe.... (should be ~15kOhm at room temperature)
Removed the secondary DPF, hosed it out with the garden hose for an hour....dried....put back in.......

Now....?
Completely different car.....revs hard to 4500rpm with astonishing ease.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Fieldo72
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmx x3 2.0d 2006

Hi, first post. Have a 2006 2.0d x3, with much the same problem as above. No top end power. Revs through first and second gears, but struggles to 2k revs through the rest? Have been on a 40 mile round trip to try clean out dpf, but still no joy. Ideas ? Any help will be much appreciated. No warning lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
Luckyvers
Banned
Rep
Drives: x3 e83 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldo72 View Post
Hi, first post. Have a 2006 2.0d x3, with much the same problem as above. No top end power. Revs through first and second gears, but struggles to 2k revs through the rest? Have been on a 40 mile round trip to try clean out dpf, but still no joy. Ideas ? Any help will be much appreciated. No warning lights.
Can you tell me what the problem was?
Appreciate 0