BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
driveseeker
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i, '18 M2

Cost to replace rear driveshaft?

Has anyone had experience in replacing the rear driveshaft in an older X3. My daughter is away at college, noticed vibration, and took it in to the local BMW dealer. Car has about 132K. They diagnosed worn rear driveshaft, maybe bad u joint too (she wasn't sure), and quoted $1200, total with tax. Before telling her to go ahead with the repair, I was hoping to get an idea as to whether the quoted repair cost is in line with what others may have experienced. Thanks for any information.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
MIK3_eh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 X3 3.0, 07 X3 3.0si, 09 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveseeker View Post
Has anyone had experience in replacing the rear driveshaft in an older X3. My daughter is away at college, noticed vibration, and took it in to the local BMW dealer. Car has about 132K. They diagnosed worn rear driveshaft, maybe bad u joint too (she wasn't sure), and quoted $1200, total with tax. Before telling her to go ahead with the repair, I was hoping to get an idea as to whether the quoted repair cost is in line with what others may have experienced. Thanks for any information.
I did the front on my 04 X3 and the repair was roughly $700 at an independent mechanic. Not sure if that would be any help or useful as a gauge for the rear. The u-joint in the X3 isn't serviceable which means it needs replacement

I'm hearing a squeak from my u-joint so I'd be curious what the final bill will be as I likely have the same repair upcoming.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Bamula2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3

Garage List
2004 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK3_eh View Post
I did the front on my 04 X3 and the repair was roughly $700 at an independent mechanic. Not sure if that would be any help or useful as a gauge for the rear. The u-joint in the X3 isn't serviceable which means it needs replacement

I'm hearing a squeak from my u-joint so I'd be curious what the final bill will be as I likely have the same repair upcoming.
I have that issue with mine now, Shop said it was the rear uJoint on my drive shaft. since it is not serviceable I need to get the shaft and ujoint together. Is that the same info you received? I want to find on my own and gauge doing the repair myself. My car is at 160k right now.
Appreciate 0