BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

New to Family - 2013 35i - Wait, what's that light? (Chassis Stabilization Error)

Well, I haven't even posted yet but about a month ago I purchased a 2013 X3 35i in the Alpine White/Oyster combo. Has the SAV package, tech package, and some other stuff (can't remember all the packages right now - doesn't really matter).

At any rate, I love the car. I have a list of rattles/creaks that I planned to get addressed next week (along with a question as to tire/traffic noise levels), but as of yesterday everything has changed a bit. On my way home from work the car threw a "Chassis Stabilization" malfunction and warned of reduced parking brake ability as well. I showed up at my local BMW dealer at about 4:45 and, to their credit, they immediately took it back and, unable to solve within the next hour or so, gave me an X5 35d to drive home.

The scary part is that the preliminary indications are that it is a "stability control module" that has failed. According to my SA, if that is in fact the case, it could take a month to get the part. This strikes me as unreal, given that this car was built a couple of hundred miles from here (I'm in Charleston). If it is out for that long, I think it may technically qualify as a lemon (30 days out of service), but I don't really want to go that route just yet, as it doesn't seem fair.

Your thoughts? I've had it for just over a month. I have 1,800 miles on it. I did not buy it from my local dealer (they have no supply/inventory of X3s hardly), but I did buy from another dealer of the same franchise in NC (i.e. they are both Hendricks). I trust that will not matter, and I must give my local dealer credit for their handling of it so far. I'm just worried about where this might go and would be curious to hear of similar experiences.
      07-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
the part will come from germany, before anything gets repair or exchange part the dealer needs approval from bmw corp if its ok for repair or replacement part. im sure it take time to diagnose the issue or software glitch.

if the car will be out of the service for 30 days, its lemon and i would go thru with it simply because its new car who knows what other issues u might come across.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Was it just that warning or did other warnings come on at the same time? That warning could be a red herring although I assume your dealer has investigated properly and ruled this out as a cause. Refer to this thread:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=173

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...7#post10522627

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Was it just that warning or did other warnings come on at the same time? That warning could be a red herring although I assume your dealer has investigated properly and ruled this out as a cause. Refer to this thread:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=173

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...7#post10522627
Oh yeah, I had a number of lights on. I'm not sure if the TPMS light was on, but the rest of the ones you see in that first thread were on. I was actually getting 2 warnings on iDrive, one for the main error and another regarding reduced parking brake effectiveness or something like that.

I didn't take pictures, but it was lit up when I pulled into the service bay and remained that way for them. They are investigating now and were hoping to find a cause other than the stability control module. I haven't heard anything yet which is probably not a good sign.
      07-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisprudent View Post
Oh yeah, I had a number of lights on. I'm not sure if the TPMS light was on, but the rest of the ones you see in that first thread were on. I was actually getting 2 warnings on iDrive, one for the main error and another regarding reduced parking brake effectiveness or something like that.

I didn't take pictures, but it was lit up when I pulled into the service bay and remained that way for them. They are investigating now and were hoping to find a cause other than the stability control module. I haven't heard anything yet which is probably not a good sign.
It's difficult to be sure but that sounds like what happened to mine and all they did to "fix" it was some sort of hard reset on iDrive (not a software upgrade). Anyway, it never came back again after that. They suggested it may have be linked to low battery charge

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

They have indicated now that it is in fact the DSC control module. I look to hear from them on Monday for a better guess as to parts availability. Not good. FWIW, I think they tried that hard reset last night and it did clear it, but on their test drive it came right back when they got to highway speed.

In the meantime, I guess I'll enjoy the endless torque of the X5 35d.
      07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

When I got my 2011 spare parts weren’t available for a lot of items and had to be shipped from Germany. That was understandable for a completely new model.

Now a calendar year later, and 2 model years later it’s inexcusable for the factory in the USA that actually builds these cars not to have a complete set of spare parts available.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Jurisprudent did you happen to hit anything on accident? I too got the "chassis stabilization malfunction" earlier this month but I happened to run over some road debris and F-ed up the suspension.

BTW perhaps you should talk to another BMW dealership in order to see if they can get the parts sooner. My car got damaged way more extensively than yours and even then the parts were shipped and repaired within the week. Furthermore they make the X3 in your state, other than Alaska or Hawaii Washington is the farthest away you can be from the factory within the US.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
When I got my 2011 spare parts weren’t available for a lot of items and had to be shipped from Germany. That was understandable for a completely new model.

Now a calendar year later, and 2 model years later it’s inexcusable for the factory in the USA that actually builds these cars not to have a complete set of spare parts available.
The factory uses JIT inventory, meaning they have exactly the parts they need to build the backlog of cars they have (which is very large for these models right now due to demand) and no more. With a system like that, inventory delivered is measured in minutes not days. If a vendor is late on delivery they are fined for every minute late it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Jurisprudent did you happen to hit anything on accident? I too got the "chassis stabilization malfunction" earlier this month but I happened to run over some road debris and F-ed up the suspension.

BTW perhaps you should talk to another BMW dealership in order to see if they can get the parts sooner. My car got damaged way more extensively than yours and even then the parts were shipped and repaired within the week. Furthermore they make the X3 in your state, other than Alaska or Hawaii Washington is the farthest away you can be from the factory within the US.
Haven't hit a thing. I'm hopeful that the original 1-month estimate will prove wrong. Should know more on Monday.

And yes, I know they are built here - I've been to the factory (not to get this car but just to tour). Seems like I've read somewhere that they won't release parts from the factory for repairs of already built vehicles. I don't know if that is true or not, but given their use of JIT (as noted below), it wouldn't completely shock me. I still don't understand where the factory gets their modules from, but perhaps its a different allotment.

Either way, will know more Monday.
      08-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FYI - it was the module and thankfully they were able to locate a part in a week. Back on the road, and so far so good, save for a few minor tailgate rattles (knock on wood).