BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
clover
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

X3 vs X5

X3 and X5.... hard to choose

I want to sell my e90 325i before the new 3 series debuts (better resell value), looking for a new bimmer, 5 series or x3, coz both are new model so I can enjoy the latest model in the coming seven years.

After reading this post I think X3 will be a good option coz someone said its handling is comparable to e90, and its acceleration is good

But everytime when I see a X5 on road I worry I will regret when the new X5 debut (won't have $ to change car offen ). The current X5 looks cool, luxury and mature, the next generation may be even better, I haven't test drive a X5 yet, could anyone suggest should I get a X3 now or wait for the X5?

More questions:-

I like e90's hard steering very much, does X3 at sport mode feels the same at low speed (say 50km/h)? will the steering wheel get even harder at sport + mode?

Has anyone tried the sport package stiffer suspension? how is it comparable to the sport mode damper?

Many thanks!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
This topic has been debated a few times. I guess my first response is that deciding between the X3 and the X5 is like deciding between the 3 Series and the 5 or even 7 Series.

I have both - X3 M Sport, and X5 M Sport, so perhaps I am qualified to opine on this more than most. I traded an E90 for my 2011 X3, and I am very pleased with it. It is very quick and nimble, but more comfortable because of the higher seating position. The X5 is more comfortable yet, and depending on how it is equipped it is very luxurious indeed. It is also fun to drive, but not as much as the X3 - given the obvious weight and size differences.

The one part of the question that I don't really feel is relevant is about waiting for next generation X5, etc. That will still be awhile. It would be silly to buy an E90 right now, unless you found an amazing deal, but you should buy what you want when you want... models are always changing, being refreshed, getting March updates, etc. You'll go insane trying to hit the perfect timing.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
clover
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

but you should buy what you want when you want... models are always changing, being r

Many thanks ledzep, I heard that new x5 won't come out until 2014-15, too long waiting...

Will definitely have a x3 test drive shorty, could u pls tell me how the steering wheel and suspension feel compare to a e90 (without active steering)? Can I switch off this function in x3 manually (coz want a firmer steering)?

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The steering is not as tight as you're used to in the E90, in other words the electronic power assist feels different than the traditional hydraulic assist. The X3 steering gets more assistance from the system, which requires less force to steer - almost feels like active steering, which I have on the X5). However, that said - the steering is very precise and responsive. There is no play at all in the wheel, and you can dive into a corner with very little effort. You still get decent road feedback too.

Some may not like it, claiming that it feels "artificial", but it only took me a couple of days to get acclimated to it. This might be due to having AS in the X5, so was accustomed to a similar feel. For a vehicle the size of the X3 I think you do need more assit for low speed manuvering, etc.

Take a test drive and see what you think.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I was in the same situation... Then price came into play... The only thing about the X5 is that they are starting to look outdated. compared to the ALL the other models that have changed, i think now with the 3 sires the X5 And X6 will be the only outdated ones...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

I test drove the X5 5.0, The X5 35d, and the X3 35i MSport. Originally I was sure the X5 35d would be my choice, but I bought the X3 MSport with all of the performance & handling options. Hands down it is much more fun to drive(X3) and IMO the only reason for choosing the X5 would be if you need the extra room and 3rd row seat. My fun car is a 2010 Z4 35i fully optioned and I wanted an every day driver that came somewhat close in the performance and handling department, the X3 does exactly that. Now that I have the X3 the Zed spends more time in the garage than before.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

I just took delivery of my X3 35i fully loaded w/ m sport. Came from 4.8i X5. Was debating between the X3 which is $58k loaded and X5 50i loaded with m sport. I believe it was like $81k built to my specs. The day I took delivery this vehicle was parked right next to my x3. How ironic!!!! I have to admit I had feelings of regret! The X5 looks awesome! Especially with m sport. I've had the x3 for almost a day now and really love it. But I'm still wishing I went with the X5 now. For me the X3 is the best value package and practical. The X5 is emotional!!!! Who knows if I had X5 I'd probably be wishing I went with X3!
      09-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I own both a 2010 X5 35d and a 2011 X3 35i. The X5 is better overall as it is bigger and achieves much better gas mileage under the same driving conditions. The X3 is "more fun" as it is really a sports car in small SUV clothing. They are both great vehicles but the X5 DIESEL just wins me over every time. I would kill for the US market to be able to buy a X3 30d or 35d. I would sell all for one X3 diesel - sporty and amazing gas mileage!!!!

X5 at 35,000 miles has achieved a combined average fuel economy of 24.5 mpg
X3 at 11,000 miles has achieved a combined average fuel economy of 21.9 mpg

Last edited by Vintage; 09-04-2011 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0