BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Thanks Runflat

There has been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of runflat tires. My wife was driving her 2012 X3 last week and noticed the low tire pressure icon on the dash. She happened to be within a few miles of a facility I use for my race tires. The tire had picked up a 4" center punch an inch from the edge of the tire. Fortunately it was at an angle and didn't damage the wheel. My friend patched/plugged it so she could safely drive home. This set of tires was purchased from TireRack somewhat recently so a free replacement is on it's way. If not for the runflat, she would have been on the side of the road waiting for AAA.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...1&d=1594827500
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of runflat tires. My wife was driving her 2012 X3 last week and noticed the low tire pressure icon on the dash. She happened to be within a few miles of a facility I use for my race tires. The tire had picked up a 4" center punch an inch from the edge of the tire. Fortunately it was at an angle and didn't damage the wheel. My friend patched/plugged it so she could safely drive home. This set of tires was purchased from TireRack somewhat recently so a free replacement is on it's way. If not for the runflat, she would have been on the side of the road waiting for AAA.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...1&d=1594827500
Holy crapola! ...any idea how much of the center punch was still sticking out of the tire, if any? So with just a little cleaning, looks like you got yourself a nice center punch
Ya know, its amazing how things that normally lie fairly flat on the ground decide to stand up when a tire is approaching. My wife had a house key puncture her tire once, whats up with that?
When looking at what will replace my current X3, I wanted a new X3 with the spare tire option till I found out it raised the cargo floor by 3". My thoughts are that having a car with fun flats plus a spare is the best you can do without needing roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

Always begs the question, is the sacrifice of cost and ride quality worth justification of RFT?
| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Always begs the question, is the sacrifice of cost and ride quality worth justification of RFT?
There have been many conversations on that topic on the X5 forum, it will always be a quandary.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Holy crapola! ...any idea how much of the center punch was still sticking out of the tire, if any? So with just a little cleaning, looks like you got yourself a nice center punch
Ya know, its amazing how things that normally lie fairly flat on the ground decide to stand up when a tire is approaching. My wife had a house key puncture her tire once, whats up with that?
When looking at what will replace my current X3, I wanted a new X3 with the spare tire option till I found out it raised the cargo floor by 3". My thoughts are that having a car with fun flats plus a spare is the best you can do without needing roadside assistance.
That thing was buried all the way. You can see how the blunt end was worn from the road.

Quote:
When it comes to the safety of my wife, I'll sacrifice a little ride quality. The cost difference isn't even an issue.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41911.00
      07-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
When it comes to the safety of my wife, I'll sacrifice a little ride quality. The cost difference isn't even an issue.
Agreed. I'm the one that actually drives the X3 but it's a similar idea. My 1 Series doesn't have run flats, I don't want the performance hit and don't mind having to call AAA or her or something to come get me. The X3 tends to get driven with her or my kid or both and I'm all for not getting stuck somewhere.

Plus, if we are on a road trip and have a flat and are sitting on the side of the road, I'll be a bit embarrassed if I didn't have the RFT's. Yes honey, I pretended that the X3 was a performance car, and so I had to monkey with the tires, and stranded us here. No thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
McNuggetz
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 28i, '18 Focus ST

^^Which tires did you purchase? I am in the market for replacements for OEM Pirelli Cinturatos
      07-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
This question is unlikely to be answered any time soon in a convincing manner.

I had several sets of tires - all run flats due to convenience. On several occasions, run flats came through and got me home or important destination on time and safely.

Some run flats are better than others. Right now, Pirelli P Zero run flats meet my expectations.

Of course when Michelin might decide PS4S run flat tires ... I will be the first one to buy them.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
This question is unlikely to be answered any time soon in a convincing manner.

I had several sets of tires - all run flats due to convenience. On several occasions, run flats came through and got me home or important destination on time and safely.

Some run flats are better than others. Right now, Pirelli P Zero run flats meet my expectations.

Of course when Michelin might decide PS4S run flat tires ... I will be the first one to buy them.
I just posted this today on another thread, copied it here as you mentioned P-Zero's. ..

I'm on my second and last set of P Zero's, their life is short, they're noisy but they grip and look good. This won't be of much help but just throwing it out there. I bought a new set of wheels and put Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on it and love them. They increased my gas mileage to over 30 on trips, were quiet and gave a smooth ride. I'm around 30K miles on them now. I bought a jack and tire pump, flat repair tools, loaded all that into the cargo storage area and that's the way I drove it. Had a screw in the front left once, jacked it up, pulled out the screw with vise grips, plugged it, filled it and am still driving on that tire 10K miles later.

I think the best way to go is a car with run flats and a spare tire. The issue with the X3 is that if you order the spare tire option, they raise the cargo floor 3" and we use ours for trips and need all the cargo space we can get.
Appreciate 0