BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Help with X3 xDrive20i purchase!

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum and this is my first thread started. I've recently decided to purchase the new X3 xDrive20i (I'm quite over the F30 3 series and I literally drool when I see an AW m-sport X3!) I've noticed that not many people have ordered the xDrive20i mostly because it's not available in their countries, so this is quite a unique thread (I'm South African and the xDrive20i,20d,30d and 35i is offered here). I was hoping to get some help with a few options for my future car. The list of options are so tempting but I would like to add:

-M-sport package
-xenon lights
-PDC front&rear (its only standard on the 30d and 35i in case you were wondering)
-panoramic roof
-red brown leather

This is slightly overstepping my budget, so could anyone suggest any options I should delete and what other options you think are essential for this car?

Note,
-I have to keep the M-sport package and xenons, I love them too much.
-I won't need the navigation even though the larger screen and cool features are awesome ( I would if I could afford it though)
-the leather option is quite expensive for me even though the price of it is reduced when you add the m-sport pack, so should I just stick with the leather/cloth pearlpoint seats that is standard with the m-sport pack?

In South Africa we don't get the premium, technology pack etc. like the US market gets, which kinda sucks, so that's why you don't notice that in my options listed. I'm going to try to attach the PRICELIST so people can have a better idea of whats available to purchase and also maybe just to see what's available on South African X3's and all the related performance details of the car.

Thanks, I would really appreciate some good advice!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FPP4425_X3_F25_Oct2011.pdf (447.5 KB, 285 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Cx35i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum and this is my first thread started. I've recently decided to purchase the new X3 xDrive20i (I'm quite over the F30 3 series and I literally drool when I see an AW m-sport X3!) I've noticed that not many people have ordered the xDrive20i mostly because it's not available in their countries, so this is quite a unique thread (I'm South African and the xDrive20i,20d,30d and 35i is offered here). I was hoping to get some help with a few options for my future car. The list of options are so tempting but I would like to add:

-M-sport package
-xenon lights
-PDC front&rear (its only standard on the 30d and 35i in case you were wondering)
-panoramic roof
-red brown leather

This is slightly overstepping my budget, so could anyone suggest any options I should delete and what other options you think are essential for this car?

Note,
-I have to keep the M-sport package and xenons, I love them too much.
-I won't need the navigation even though the larger screen and cool features are awesome ( I would if I could afford it though)
-the leather option is quite expensive for me even though the price of it is reduced when you add the m-sport pack, so should I just stick with the leather/cloth pearlpoint seats that is standard with the m-sport pack?

In South Africa we don't get the premium, technology pack etc. like the US market gets, which kinda sucks, so that's why you don't notice that in my options listed. I'm going to try to attach the PRICELIST so people can have a better idea of whats available to purchase and also maybe just to see what's available on South African X3's and all the related performance details of the car.

Thanks, I would really appreciate some good advice!!
As a former F25 M Sport owner who skipped the Tech package in favor of M Sport -- don't. IMHO, real-time traffic w/ dynamic routing, improved entertainment options and the top view camera are more useful than the M Sport package on an SAV.

Good luck - you'll enjoy it either way.
      01-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Cmilligan, sadly, Tech Package isn't an option in SA for Anodite10.

Anodite10 - do like my Xenons, although other drivers don't always.

PDC - I parked in a tight spot tonight with more ease than ever. I also have the rearview and topdown cameras, which give me wonderful assurance that I'm doing OK.

Panoramic roof - I have it, but it's more impressive to others than it is to me.

Red Brown Leather - Yes, with the right exterior color. I went with Deep Sea Blue Metallic exterior and Oyster leather interior. And, now that I've been wearing jeans more in the Northern Hemisphere's colder weather, I'm about to search this site for old topics on preferred leather cleaners. My Oyster leather picks up noticeable blue discoloration, even from old jeans.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

I wish we had the option for the cloth/leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

I am in a similar situation as u and similar specs and color. Decided to drop sunroof have in in my 09 forester gotten a rattle driving me crazy plus numerous reports of rattle on this forum. As a minimum make sure at least u get 6NH ie USB music. Other items not STD in SA is PDC and power seats and power folding mirrors. For me msport a must too however i understand sA msport comes with sports suspension which you cant delete, maybe u can confirm that. Curious What's your cost of your configuration coming to?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmilligan View Post
As a former F25 M Sport owner who skipped the Tech package in favor of M Sport -- don't. IMHO, real-time traffic w/ dynamic routing, improved entertainment options and the top view camera are more useful than the M Sport package on an SAV.

Good luck - you'll enjoy it either way.
cmilligan, the reason I won't really consider the navigation with all the other tech goodies included is that I live in a small city and it's really not very difficult to get around in. I also don't drive all over South Africa anyway and so that option would just be wasted on me. Also, like I said, I just drool when I see an M-sport X3! Thanks for your help though!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmilligan View Post
As a former F25 M Sport owner.
Any reason why you sold the F25 Msport?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Cmilligan, sadly, Tech Package isn't an option in SA for Anodite10.

Anodite10 - do like my Xenons, although other drivers don't always.

PDC - I parked in a tight spot tonight with more ease than ever. I also have the rearview and topdown cameras, which give me wonderful assurance that I'm doing OK.

Panoramic roof - I have it, but it's more impressive to others than it is to me.

Red Brown Leather - Yes, with the right exterior color. I went with Deep Sea Blue Metallic exterior and Oyster leather interior. And, now that I've been wearing jeans more in the Northern Hemisphere's colder weather, I'm about to search this site for old topics on preferred leather cleaners. My Oyster leather picks up noticeable blue discoloration, even from old jeans.
02420X3,
-I'll definitely stick with the xenons.
-I think I'll get the PDC, I have it on my current car and it's a lot of help. I would LOVE to get the rearview and topdown camera but it's extremely expensive for me ($4300 option) and I'm dead set on the M-sport package.
-I've seen AW with red seats and I love it. A bit expensive though. I've always been worried about light-coloured interior cars due to what you've mentioned- I live in jeans too. There's a lot of leather conditioner threads on this forum, so I'm sure you'll find the right one.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #9
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
I am in a similar situation as u and similar specs and color. Decided to drop sunroof have in in my 09 forester gotten a rattle driving me crazy plus numerous reports of rattle on this forum. As a minimum make sure at least u get 6NH ie USB music. Other items not STD in SA is PDC and power seats and power folding mirrors. For me msport a must too however i understand sA msport comes with sports suspension which you cant delete, maybe u can confirm that. Curious What's your cost of your configuration coming to?
inamik75, I dont know if I'm going to get the panoramic roof option, still undecided, mostly because it's so expensive (R18100/$2250) and also now that you've mentioned the rattle problem, of which I was unaware of. I'll consider the USB option. I'm also considering the power folding mirrors as I'll probably need it but it's not offered as a standalone option and includes the auto anti-dazzle mirrors which just hikes the price up. I love M-sport too, always had that option on my cars, but is it a concern if I can delete it or not? My original configuration cost (the options I listed above) was R529000 or $65600
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I also forgot to mention that only the xDrive20i comes standard with the manual and the rest of the models come standard with the autobox. So I'm sticking with the manual (never driven an auto and frankly don't enjoy them at all). So how good is the auto and does anyone desperately recommend it?
Also, the m-sport in South Africa comes standard with the 18" wheels. Does anyone have the 18" m-sport wheels and does it look acceptable enough? I know the 19" looks great.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
I also forgot to mention that only the xDrive20i comes standard with the manual and the rest of the models come standard with the autobox. So I'm sticking with the manual (never driven an auto and frankly don't enjoy them at all). So how good is the auto and does anyone desperately recommend it?
Also, the m-sport in South Africa comes standard with the 18" wheels. Does anyone have the 18" m-sport wheels and does it look acceptable enough? I know the 19" looks great.
I've had a manual stick in all my cars until now. But I was litterally sold when I tried the 8 speed auto. It was a fantastic drive. I have a DSB 30D Msport with auto on order and I can't wait...

I'm actually shocked about some of the option prices in SA. In an extremely expensive country like Norway, Top View is only 1200US$. But then again, the cars are a bit more expensive...

If you can afford it, go for the 19inchers and even the extra little hardness up with Dynamic Dampers instead of the sunroof. It's soooo worth it. In Norway this is almost the same price. I think the 18inchers look good, but the 19inchers? A LOT better...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #12
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i, but is it a concern if I can delete it or not? My original configuration cost (the options I listed above) was R529000 or $65600
Sports suspension is typically a firmer ride, my similar configuration is 70k Euro

Quote:
I am going for 18" there are some pics in autotrader.co.za and this forum good enough for me, the 19" too expensive and you will loose ride quality due to lower profile tyre. See 18" Msport tyres http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=336

Auto is a must for me, test drive both before you decide I would pick Auto as my must have 1st option over anything else but that's me though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
I've had a manual stick in all my cars until now. But I was litterally sold when I tried the 8 speed auto. It was a fantastic drive. I have a DSB 30D Msport with auto on order and I can't wait...

I'm actually shocked about some of the option prices in SA. In an extremely expensive country like Norway, Top View is only 1200US$. But then again, the cars are a bit more expensive...

If you can afford it, go for the 19inchers and even the extra little hardness up with Dynamic Dampers instead of the sunroof. It's soooo worth it. In Norway this is almost the same price. I think the 18inchers look good, but the 19inchers? A LOT better...
I'll be sure to test drive the auto now, seems like everyone is enjoying it! I wish I could get the 30d, you must be very excited.

I've also never got used to the price of options in the cars, you might as well upgrade to the next model with the price of the options! I've seen how expensive the cars are in Norway which is quite sad.

I might forfeit the pano roof for the 19's because the wheel arches on the X3 are huge and bigger wheels would do it much more justice.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sports suspension is typically a firmer ride, my similar configuration is 70k Euro

I am going for 18" there are some pics in autotrader.co.za and this forum good enough for me, the 19" too expensive and you will loose ride quality due to lower profile tyre. See 18" Msport tyres http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=336

Auto is a must for me, test drive both before you decide I would pick Auto as my must have 1st option over anything else but that's me though.
I've never really noticed the difference with the firm sport suspension as I have it in my current car, so it won't bother me. 70K euro is just mad to pay for a xDrive20i with similar options as me!!! Thats like $89K!!! Ouch!! You could get the entry level X5 in south africa for that kind of money!

The 19's are really tempting.... and I'm going to test drive the auto.

Thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

+1 on test the auto first. I, like you, was going to order manual as I have owned nothing but manual and I thought i'm too young for an auto but then I tried it........

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
+1 on test the auto first. I, like you, was going to order manual as I have owned nothing but manual and I thought i'm too young for an auto but then I tried it........
Cool, maybe the auto because in traffic it's sometime a nightmare with manual!
Btw, your car looks so good. I've never really liked the X3 without m-sport but I've definitely changed my mind. X-line with those 19" 309's look spectacluar. I'm so confused on what to get now! Maybe I will take others' advice and ditch the m-sport for some other extra option. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Cool, maybe the auto because in traffic it's sometime a nightmare with manual!
Btw, your car looks so good. I've never really liked the X3 without m-sport but I've definitely changed my mind. X-line with those 19" 309's look spectacluar. I'm so confused on what to get now! Maybe I will take others' advice and ditch the m-sport for some other extra option. Thanks

On the auto: it's not just traffic, it's so smooth and effortless and so much better than autos used to be, even only 5 years ago. I had a test drive in a manual and an auto and I was sold on the auto within minutes. Excellent.

On the styling: most people will tell you go M sport but I still prefer the SE with 19s because of its side profile. Even 19s on M Sport look too small, particularly in light colours - 20s on AW look awesome though. The reason is that they are small wheels for a car that size. The SE fools you into thinking the wheels are bigger because of its dark wheel arches against lighter colours. It's very subjective and people don't like the "cheap" plastic but I'm not sure how painting it makes any difference, it's still plastic. Look at any number of Skodas and Seats. Also consider X5 SEs, all are more premium than X3 M Sports. All of that said, I prefer the front of X3 M Sport. Not sure on the back as it makes the car look too narrow IMO - again, particularly in light colours. The X5 is better looking all round and the X5 M Sport is top of the pile. M Sport just doesn't work well enough for me on the X3.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've never really noticed the difference with the firm sport suspension as I have it in my current car, so it won't bother me. 70K euro is just mad to pay for a xDrive20i with similar options as me!!! Thats like $89K!!! Ouch!! You could get the entry level X5 in south africa for that kind of money!

The 19's are really tempting.... and I'm going to test drive the auto.

Thanks for your help!!
my options are more than double SA cost, msport is an 8500 euro option.X5 entry level 110k and sold an X6 550i 200k euro. I guess since they sell only 100 cars per year every sale must count plus 100% taxes. Thought of buying from SA get the 14% vat refund but not sure if I can transfer the warranty and given possible issues on this forum without warranty you are screwed!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
my options are more than double SA cost, msport is an 8500 euro option.X5 entry level 110k and sold an X6 550i 200k euro. I guess since they sell only 100 cars per year every sale must count plus 100% taxes. Thought of buying from SA get the 14% vat refund but not sure if I can transfer the warranty and given possible issues on this forum without warranty you are screwed!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #20
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Best time to trade in?

Could someone please advise me on when is the right time to trade in my 3 series for the X3, considering the new 3 series is being launched in South Africa in March? My 3 series is a 2010 model.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

I would say that you should trade right now before the new model hits the showroom... your car will instantanely depreciate in value.

Regarding the options I would suggest you test-drive an auto, as it contributes largely to the refinement of the F25 drive.

M-sport package: I have X-Line and 18" on mine and it looks great...it also doesn't help the fact that I'm not a lover of aero tweeks...

Xenons: great looking and lighting. I also have the auto high beams option and it's usefull only outside urban areas (with street lighting the high beam remains off)

Roof: I live in Portugal (lots of sun) so it's a great option. Until now (about 3000 miles) I don't have any kind of noises.

Leather: I went for the Oister Leather / Cloth combination. I like the lightness of the color (with the downside of the jeans rubbing as already mentioned). It also has the advantage over other combinations, of keeping the floor in the dark color so that it doesn't get dirty.

PDC and Rear-Drive: the PDC is a great help for manoveuring the car, camera is great, even just to reverse from the parking spot to check if there is incoming traffic when you can't see it from the driver's seat

I also went for the Hi-Fi system, and it is really great. Also considerer the Professional navigation, not only it gives you the bigger screen, the HDD drive for music, but you also get the instrument panel with the larger screen.

Sport seats are also a must for confort and support!

Hope it helps!

David
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfcoelho View Post
I would say that you should trade right now before the new model hits the showroom... your car will instantanely depreciate in value.

Regarding the options I would suggest you test-drive an auto, as it contributes largely to the refinement of the F25 drive.

M-sport package: I have X-Line and 18" on mine and it looks great...it also doesn't help the fact that I'm not a lover of aero tweeks...

Xenons: great looking and lighting. I also have the auto high beams option and it's usefull only outside urban areas (with street lighting the high beam remains off)

Roof: I live in Portugal (lots of sun) so it's a great option. Until now (about 3000 miles) I don't have any kind of noises.

Leather: I went for the Oister Leather / Cloth combination. I like the lightness of the color (with the downside of the jeans rubbing as already mentioned). It also has the advantage over other combinations, of keeping the floor in the dark color so that it doesn't get dirty.

PDC and Rear-Drive: the PDC is a great help for manoveuring the car, camera is great, even just to reverse from the parking spot to check if there is incoming traffic when you can't see it from the driver's seat

I also went for the Hi-Fi system, and it is really great. Also considerer the Professional navigation, not only it gives you the bigger screen, the HDD drive for music, but you also get the instrument panel with the larger screen.

Sport seats are also a must for confort and support!

Hope it helps!

David
Thanks David.
I'm definitely going to test drive the auto.
I've decided to get the m-sport in red brown leather (I've seen pictures of the cloth/leather seats and I really don't like it, ESPECIALLY the cloth padded doors!), xenon lights, Panoramic roof (there is loads of sun here), PDC front and rear and the rear and topview camera (everyone recommended me to get it).
I've decided to splurge slightly, yet I know I'll regret it later!
Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0