BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
starmir
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0D, 116i, Z3 2.8

Euro question - BMW online abroad

Hello,
Does anyone know what functions from BMW online work abroad?

I get the message "Current mobile communication network is not supported by BMW Online."

The car is originally italian, now in switzerland and I am using a swiss phone for bluetooth.

Also does "BMW online" use the Simcard in the card or the phone connection? Will it only work when I go back to Italy?

There are the related specs from the car F25 2.0D 2011:

S609A Navigation system Professional

S612A BMW Assist

S615A Expanded BMW Online Information

S616A BMW Online

S633A Business Preparation, mobile phone, Business

S698A Area-Code 2 for DVD

S6AAA BMW TeleServices

S6ABA Control for Teleservices

S6NFA Music interface for Smartphone

S6NLA Connection Bluetooth + USB devices incl.

S6UHA Traffic Information

S6VCA Control for Combox

S855A Language version Italian

Thank you,
Starmir
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

My understanding is that the SIM card should work across the EU- but there might be countries not supported.
Interestingly in some countries you have to use your own phone for the data connection (built in SIM not supported), and then pair the phone with the car. Has anyone coded this for a car that comes with a SIM, OR does anyone know how to swap the SIM for your own.
Also might be worth checking if your SIM is still activated. I checked my SIM via the connected drive website, and it looks like in the UK you get just over 3 years subscription when you buy the car. You have to pay to extend the date.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmir View Post
Hello,
Does anyone know what functions from BMW online work abroad?
Starmir
Connected drive and all other internet and BMW on-line related features worked for me perfectly on a trip in June through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.
This was via the car SIM—not my mobile

Last edited by Rich4; 08-31-2015 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
My understanding is that the SIM card should work across the EU- but there might be countries not supported.
Interestingly in some countries you have to use your own phone for the data connection (built in SIM not supported), and then pair the phone with the car. Has anyone coded this for a car that comes with a SIM, OR does anyone know how to swap the SIM for your own.
Also might be worth checking if your SIM is still activated. I checked my SIM via the connected drive website, and it looks like in the UK you get just over 3 years subscription when you buy the car. You have to pay to extend the date.
You get three years complimentary membership for connecteddrive after the original owner has registered with BMW Connecteddrive Services.

There have been several cases recorded and posted on other forums where owners did not bother for 1 year after taking delivery. In fact one case I remember reading that one account had never been activated. Lucky person!

In my case it was nearly 3 months after BMW had taken delivery (managers vehicle) that the account was activated. I was therefore lucky to have 2 years and 3 months of the account still to run.

After that it costs £120 per annum.

The embedded SIM in the UK vehicles is with Vodafone UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich4 View Post
Connected drive and all other internet and BMW on-line related features worked for me perfectly on a trip in June through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.
This was via the car SIM—not my mobile
Sounds about right.

When the car is being driven in the UK, and you ask the concierge services to send a route to your car, they always ask you for your name and ask you to confirm your location. Three times they have done this to me (Bristol, Swindon and Milton Keynes) in the past 12 months each time giving me my location and asking me to confirm.

One question? Did you go through the concierge services to have a route sent your car and did they go through this location confirmation procedure through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany?

SIM cards are not swappable once embedded in the car.

Edited

Back to the Original Poster's question.

I would suggest speaking to:

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...ervlet/contact

YOU'VE GOT QUESTIONS ABOUT BMW CONNECTED DRIVE?
We would be delighted to help you.
Please contact BMW Customer Support for questions about BMW ConnectedDrive in your vehicle, on the Internet or on your smartphone.

You can reach us

by e-mail: bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com

by phone: +44 (0)800 5610555 (Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 6.30 pm; Sat 9.00 am - 5.00 pm; Sun 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm).

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-31-2015 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #5
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
When the car is being driven in the UK, and you ask the concierge services to send a route to your car, they always ask you for your name and ask you to confirm your location. Three times they have done this to me (Bristol, Swindon and Milton Keynes) in the past 12 months each time giving me my location and asking me to confirm.

One question? Did you go through the concierge services to have a route sent your car and did they go through this location confirmation procedure through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany?

SIM cards are not swappable once embedded in the car.
I haven’t used concierge services yet and did my own routing or by sending direct to the navigation system; I am relatively familiar with the areas I was driving through and set up my own routes so as to take in the more scenic and interesting locations. I have to say I find it strange that they should by asking for your name AND location, seeing as they already know where you are.

I have the standard BMW Connected Drive services which come with the Professional media package accessed by the in-car sim, and not the Internet option 6AR which I was advised was slow and not really worth it! Frankly I am quite impressed with BMW Online—on one occasion checking for upcoming weather conditions North of Haarlem—I was stunned to hear a detailed audio weather forecast for the following day whilst viewing the visuals in the split screen. I will certainly subscribe to the full service once my 3½ year sub expires.
      09-01-2015, 01:55 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
I haven’t used concierge services yet and did my own routing or by sending direct to the navigation system; I am relatively familiar with the areas I was driving through and set up my own routes so as to take in the more scenic and interesting locations. I have to say I find it strange that they should by asking for your name AND location, seeing as they already know where you are.
It is a security check I presume. Nothing else!

Quote:
I have the standard BMW Connected Drive services which come with the Professional media package accessed by the in-car sim, and not the Internet option 6AR which I was advised was slow and not really worth it!
The Internet option (6AR) is separate and has nothing to do with the Pro Navigation media guidance function in Satellite Navigation.

6. Internet (6AR) The “Internet” (6AR) Service runs for a period of one year after the vehicle’s first registration. The customer can extend the Service for an additional charge beyond the initial free-of-charge period via the BMW ConnectedDrive Customer Portal.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...formation.html

Quote:
I will certainly subscribe to the full service once my 3½ year sub expires.
Same here...after the 3 years complimentary has expired.

Last edited by Peter_R; 09-02-2015 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0