BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
vtfan
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 18 D sdrive SE

First thoughts of new LCI SDrive 18D SE manual

Hi all,

I've had my new car for just over a month (after an 8 month wait) and overall, very pleased with it. I traded in my 520d SE F10 as my wife fractured a vertebrae and was having trouoble getting out of something so low so decided to upgrade to something with easier access. These are my initial views and would be interested how these compare with other owners.

Pros
  • Nice high driving position
  • Comfortable suspension despite not springing for the VDC after much deliberation.
  • 306 wheels are nicely recessed from the tyres and look very difficult to kerb (and help the fuel economy also apparently).
  • Sports seats very comfortable, especially adjustable back width which really grips you lower back! A 3 hour drive left me feeling fresh and the wife wasn't groaning in pain anymore - result!
  • SatNav -nice to have built in instead of sticking the TomTom to the screen everytime.
  • Xenons - definitely worth the money - for an executive car this was always a weak point on the 5 series with halogens.
  • Superb sound from the Harmon Kardon hi fi. I love my music and this ticks the boxes.
  • Better rear visibility than expected - mostly due to the large wing mirrors.
  • Excellent fuel consumption - average 47mpg so far and easy to get 52-54 at motorway speeds (and more if I use Eco Pro mode which I'm less keen on).
  • Quiet engine other than under hard acceleration.
  • Better than expected acceleration despite giving away 35bhp to the 5 series (which was also lighter). Why do they detune the SDrive engine from 185bhp to 150bhp I wonder?

Cons
  • Slight intermittent whistling from driver’s door.
  • Front door hinges have moulded foam near them – is this a factory blank which needs to be removed? Otherwise it looks like a moisture trap.
  • Rear seat armrest – no cup holders and loose leather. I'm sure I've seen this on other F25's - is it just the XLine and/or Sport?
  • Gear knob – cheap looking compared with 5 series.
  • No elasaticated pockets on rear of front seats - again, I've seen this in video reviews.
  • No elasticated pocket at front passenger foot well - ditto.
  • Front headrests don’t adjust forward/backward or tilt (like 5 series sports seats did).
  • Middle rear headrest doesn’t adjust although appears to have up/down adjustable mechanism built in?
  • Rear door access a problem for elderly mother-in-law – would help if rear doors were a little larger and/or opened a little wider.
  • Like the 5 series - rear indicators are LED and front are conventional bulbs - why?
  • Roof rails are recessed and seem to attract a lot of rubbish (next door's tree blossoms expecially) and are difficult to clean - can only be jetted out with high pressure water.
Overall, although there appear to be balanced pros and cons, I'm probably being a little picky and overall, I'm really pleased with the car.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Congrats .. Now for a pic or two ?

The storage issues are part of the extended storage pack which I don't think is very well described on the brochure I baulked at paying for it

Nice review

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
vtfan
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Andy,

Thanks for clarifying the storage issue. There are a few areas where the brochures could improve on information - two tone ambient lighting etc. Surprisingly, only taken one picture of the car so far. The wife thinks I'm obsessed for washing it once a week so loads of photos would just confirm her suspicions!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

BMW does the whole "storage package" in Canada, too. It's pretty frustrating that they try to charge an extra $300 for it. I skipped it. Same goes for $300 for Speed Limit Info and $500 for Traffic... I love BMWs but I hate the way they are marketed! Charge me a premium price, but don't nickel and dime me!
      05-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #5
vtfan
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Oops! Not sure why the photo has come out all Australian!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #6
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Hey vt,

*Front door hinges have moulded foam near them – is this a factory blank which needs to be removed? Otherwise it looks like a moisture trap.

I have these on mine and just assumed they were there to help reduce wind / engine noise?

Fellow Essex person too
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Hi vt,

Is it possible to post a pic of the foam near the door hinges?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #8
vtfan
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,
I've since seen that these pieces of foam are indeed to reduce the wind noise although I would have thought black rubber would have been more effective and more aesthetically pleasing (albeit only visible with the door open). Ay this weekend but will take a photo when I can.
Appreciate 0