BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
charlie67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche, F25

X3 dimensions with boot open

Hi. I am looking at the new X3, but was wondering what the dimensions are when the boot is open. i.e. how much does the open boot extend from the car and how high is the open boot from the ground. They only provide the dimensions of the vehicle itself.

I need to check if I can open it when it is in the garage. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Adguytx
AdGuyTX
United_States
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37

Not sure of the dimensions, but you can program the lift gate to different opening height options. I have a one-car garage on my townhouse that is rather small and I have no issues with the hatch even coming close to hitting anything when opened at 100%.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

If you get the power tailgate, the height is fully adjustable in the I drive for how much or how little you want it open. Chances are with this option, you won't have any problem!
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I'll note one pain in the arse with the programmable height... I've set my rear liftgate to the medium setting for the garage but it's far too low for normal loading.

So to comfortable load the car I have to go back into the iDrive settings and set to the higher value when I do want to load the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I'll note one pain in the arse with the programmable height... I've set my rear liftgate to the medium setting for the garage but it's far too low for normal loading.

So to comfortable load the car I have to go back into the iDrive settings and set to the higher value when I do want to load the car.
This is your garage problem and not X3's.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie67 View Post
i.e. how much does the open boot extend from the car and how high is the open boot from the ground.
Some quick measurements :-

Height from ground fully open (measured to the highest point on the open tailgate : 2,100 mm (82.7 ins - I think)

extention from back of the car at its furtherst point in the opening arc : approx 400mm (16 ins).

As ibjgh pointed out - one bug with the auto tailgate is that the 5 programmable positions are basically equally spaced around the opening arc rather than being concentrated toward the top of the arc as logic would surely dictate. What this means is that while (thankfully) I can fully open my tailgate (ie position 5) in my garage, at my in-laws - position 5 is too high and the problem is that position 4 is too low that you can even walk under it. Bad design - or as April1 pointed out - your garage is badly designed.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
charlie67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Some quick measurements :-

Height from ground fully open (measured to the highest point on the open tailgate : 2,100 mm (82.7 ins - I think)

extention from back of the car at its furtherst point in the opening arc : approx 400mm (16 ins).

As ibjgh pointed out - one bug with the auto tailgate is that the 5 programmable positions are basically equally spaced around the opening arc rather than being concentrated toward the top of the arc as logic would surely dictate. What this means is that while (thankfully) I can fully open my tailgate (ie position 5) in my garage, at my in-laws - position 5 is too high and the problem is that position 4 is too low that you can even walk under it. Bad design - or as April1 pointed out - your garage is badly designed.

Tony
Thats great. much appreciated. As its an integrated garage, its important that the boot can be opened with the door closed and in the UK garages are awfully small. But I just measured and it will be ok. The 2100 will fit beneath the door which slides overhead and at the back of the garage its even higher, so no problem there.

In a previous property I put a deposit down on the M250 Lotus that they planned to build, but later realised that as the doors were to pivot open out and up, I would not be able to open the door, once I drove in. . So I cancelled the order and got my deposit back. Funny enough a couple of months later they cancelled the project and some people had trouble getting their deposits back...

Its nice to know about the adjustable setting on the power tailgate. They never tell you about the little things. Like I picked up that the next navigation instruction is shown in the intrument panel. I had thought about the HUD, but if the info is in the panel, that is close enough.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Another thing to take into consideration with the tailgate adjustments, is that anything less than full height will have water dripping down onto your back or head when the car is wet.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Note also that you can manually adjust the position of the tailgate. It opens to the set point and you can then move it to where you want it.