BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
zyx345
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Question X3 Passenger Side Water Leak

Hi, first post. Thanks for having me on this forum. I have a second gen X3 and my driveway is on a downward angle. During the last few rain storms I’ve been experiencing water leaking in on the passenger side floor. It appears to be coming in from the frame right under the glove box.

Has anyone experienced this? Any opinions of this might be an easy fix or just take it to the dealer? I’m not under warranty any longer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

You have a drain hole(s) plugged. Unless your have a leak in the windshield via weather-stripping--my bet is the plug. Open the moonroof, look at the both corners and you will see drainage holes. Clear it via compressed air, or some other method.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
HPR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 35i M Sport

I'd check moon roof weather stripping, windshield seal, and passenger door weather stripping. Good luck with that. Nothing worse than a car that smells like a wet dog.
      05-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

...and there's lots of water there too...dang
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

That's too much water to be a door seal. I agree you a have drain plugged. Use a wet/dry shop vac to suck the water out. Then once you fix the leak, use a little carpet shampoo and a garden watering can to flood the carpet at the same time you suck it up. I clean carpet that way all the time. Get's it clean down to the backing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #6
PaxBill
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Getting the water out

New member here, first time posting. All the Threads talk about using a shop vac to remove the water. However, mine got so wet that I need to remove the carpet to get it dried out. I did a search but didn't find a link. Does anyone have any links/info on how to remove the carpet and/or a source for replacement carpet? Thanks.

Bill Wescoe
2014 X3
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxBill View Post
New member here, first time posting. All the Threads talk about using a shop vac to remove the water. However, mine got so wet that I need to remove the carpet to get it dried out. I did a search but didn't find a link. Does anyone have any links/info on how to remove the carpet and/or a source for replacement carpet? Thanks.

Bill Wescoe
2014 X3
The carpet itself should be fine. The carpet in modern cars has a thick rubber backing. Water will not rot it. Your issue may be that you got so much water in that it got behind the carpet. But the carpet itself you can flood pretty good and suck it up as you go. When I buy a car used, I always do a thorough carpet clean - I probably use 3 or 4 gallons of water on it. To get the carpet out you need to pull the seats. Maybe even the center console. If it were me, I'd pull the door sill trim and life the carpet a bit and see what's going on before I did all that.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
BeastX3
Rep
Drives: 2013 35D X3 M Sport

See the recent thread on F25 Sunroof Drain Location. Hopefully will help you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #9
neil0779
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
2013 X3 blocked sunroof drains

Hi, I just had the same problem on my 2013 x3 on the front passenger side (RHD) like above. I opened the sunroof and poured water from a bottle slowly in the front corners one at a time. The right one drain slowly but did drain. The left one did not drain at all. After seeing a YouTube video of the f25 x3 I found out that the sunroof drains in the engine compartment under the black plastic moulding. After removing the moulding you will see a small black tube sticking out. I stuck my finger inside and wiggled it around for about 5 minutes and the used the strimmer wire in it and checked the drainage again by pouring water and it drained quicker than the right hand side drain. Luckily it rained the next day and it did not leak again. So far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #10
GeorgeA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

So this only happens on sunroof vehicles?

What a weird problem for a modern car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
jonesricj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thumbs up Additional Finding

I have enhanced the photo above with an outline of the gutter outfeed pipe after locating it in my car from the previous post. The arrow indicates the outflow of water from the gutter which lands on the wiring loom below it. The water seeps through the bulkhead through the loom into the cabin through this route which seems to me is a design fault.
I simply extended the pipe with an overtube to miss the loom. I did it both sides as they are similar. Drying out under the carpet is a nightmare unless you completely remove the floor. I pulled out the two plastic surround pieces at the bottom of the door opening and spent a few days drying it out with towels and a wet vacuum cleaner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
X3BMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 white/black X3

same problem

I have the same problem. Can't seem to locate the drain plugs. Do you need to remove the whole plastic cowl that goes across the entire engine compartment under windshield to access the plugs?
I removed the smaller plastic mesh type pieces (sort of triangular shaped) on right and left but lots of stuff in the way before you get to firewall area. I have one white plug on drivers side coming out of side of fender but very hard to access as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #13
KC87ZB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

X3BMW. No, you just remove the ones on the sides. One covers the cabin air filter housing and one covers the master cylinder. Very easy to remove.

I did add tubing extensions to mine (3/4" ID) with clamps to hold in place. They have about 1000 miles on them now and haven't fallen off. Additionally, I have had no water on the floor since doing and 2 good rainstorms.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #14
Jcrove06
Rep
Drives: TBD

Rookie Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13X3 View Post
X3BMW. No, you just remove the ones on the sides. One covers the cabin air filter housing and one covers the master cylinder. Very easy to remove.

I did add tubing extensions to mine (3/4" ID) with clamps to hold in place. They have about 1000 miles on them now and haven't fallen off. Additionally, I have had no water on the floor since doing and 2 good rainstorms.
I have recently had this lovely experience with my 2017 X5. After doing some research I found videos showing the final drain could be clogged and the procedures to try to unclog it. The drain holes position showed it was behind the right front tire. I removed said tire, brush guard, and backing plate to find a spigot but with no hose attached. Someone on my original post said this posit shows the drain is actually in the engine bay.

Can you take a picture to show where in the engine it is? The closeups are great but aside from poking around and hoping i see something similar I'd likely get lost...I stink at this...thanks for the help...PS photo from the last rain storms.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:00 PM   #15
Thomas Wertimer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Exclamation x3 BMX Leaking

THe X3 has a leak problem that comes from a cloging drain that is located under the sum roof in the right and left front corner of the opening. There is no real way for a DYI fix, the dealers and service shops DO NOT ADDRESS IT as you have to take a bumper off to get at the drain line.

This should have been a recall in my opinion or BMW should have stepped up to this design flaw that directs unchecked amount of water into the base of the car until it effects the electrical systems of the car.

Our car seized in traffic, a very dangerouse situation. The fix was $12,000 and all the while (and to date) BMW said nothing about this common problem with the car. I think there was some sort of class action suit, and it has become common knowledge that BMW'S LEAK!

BMW North America call it "and outside influence" and my dealer told me to BUY A COVER for the car as the best way to fix the problem. Sound right to you?
Appreciate 0