BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

BMW Connected Drive via Phone Bluetooth

Hi all,
I've just received notification that my connected drive subscription ends this month. BMW want £70 for 6 months, or £120 for 12 months.

A few questions-
1- I occasionally use the useful Google 'send to car' function which I know uses the connected drive facility. Is there anything which uses it i.e. emergency button in the car OR sat nav traffic updates?

2- I know in some countries that you have to use your own phone (via Bluetooth) to get the X3 connected. Is this something I can code on my car? i.e. stop using the inbuilt BMW sim, and use data services from my own phone.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

I too am interesting in this as mine will also be due for renewal.
I can't believe this system costs in the region of £2000 (new) and yet they want a subscription to continue to use some of the vital parts of the functionality!

I understood that the payment was to cover the following:

1. Internet aspect (as you say that will include Google Go to Car feature)
2. Live Traffic Updates (as you mention)
3. BMW Conierge (never used, so wouldnt miss it!)
4. BMW SOS function (sounds like we may still be able to use it for emergency situations though)

I'm keen to see if anyone can respond to your second question.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Why not ask them instead because each vehicle is now different with different enabled facilities and different prices.

YOU'VE GOT QUESTIONS ABOUT BMW CONNECTED DRIVE?
We would be delighted to help you.
Please contact BMW Customer Support for questions about BMW ConnectedDrive in your vehicle, on the Internet or on your smartphone.

You can reach us

by e-mail: bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com

by phone: +44 (0)800 5610555 (Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 6.30 pm; Sat 9.00 am - 5.00 pm; Sun 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-18-2015 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Clarification of some points after inappropriate comments
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #4
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Why not ask them instead .....

YOU'VE GOT QUESTIONS ABOUT BMW CONNECTED DRIVE?
We would be delighted to help you.
Please contact BMW Customer Support for questions about BMW ConnectedDrive in your vehicle, on the Internet or on your smartphone.

You can reach us

by e-mail: bmwconnecteddrive@bmwfin.com

by phone: +44 (0)800 5610555 (Mon - Fri 8.30 am - 6.30 pm; Sat 9.00 am - 5.00 pm; Sun 1.00 pm - 5.00 pm

The same reason why any of us post questions on here, as we generally get a better answer from the Joe public than we get from the so called professionals
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petex3 View Post
The same reason why any of us post questions on here, as we generally get a better answer from the Joe public than we get from the so called professionals
So you are going to take the advice of someone (Joe Public) who has no experience and no credentials over the system operators that might provide exactly what you might want?

Do you operate like that all the time? You do not need to answer that!

Do you ask on the forum (Joe Public) whether a particular insurance company that covers your car offers certain facilities, or do you ask your insurer? Again no answer needed.

I gave an informed sensible answer that you should heed. I suggest you think about it and put down all your questions and send it to BMW UK. My 3 years is up in December 2016. I will be ringing them and if I am unsure of any answer, I will be sending them an email for clarification.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
So you are going to take the advice of someone (Joe Public) who has no experience and no credentials over the system operators that might provide exactly what you might want?

Isn't that the idea of this forum? Otherwise no one would take your advice Peter. From past experience I've actually found that we (as in the users of this forum) know far more than the dealers etc actually know.

Do you operate like that all the time? You do not need to answer that!

I guess I may as well leave this forum them, otherwise what's the point of it?

Do you ask on the forum (Joe Public) whether a particular insurance company that covers your car offers certain facilities, or do you ask your insurer? Again no answer needed.

I gave an informed sensible answer that you should heed. I suggest you think about it and put down all your questions and send it to BMW UK. My 3 years is up in December 2016. I will be ringing them and if I am unsure of any answer, I will be sending them an email for clarification.

Thanks
Maybe you should have re-worded your original response?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Maybe you should have re-worded your original response?
Nope not getting into semantics with you. The OP came on the forum for a specific answer. Because the question is relevant to me in the future and I wish to know EXACTLY what I will get for my £120 per annum, I am in the process of compiling an email to BMW asking for the advice sought by the OP.

When I have this, I will be sending a private message to the OP detailing the response. No other input from me on this thread because I answered his question giving the contact details.

Thank you and goodbye.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #8
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I would like to point out that you too raised a question in relation to costing etc in another thread:

What was the cost if paying monthly by direct debit? My X3 has 11 months left of the 3 year warranty to run before I am confronted by the same problem. Also does the quote you received include the BMW breakdown? Is yours the 2.0d or is it the 3 litre diesel?

I understand from reading elsewhere that if you renew annually the price goes up each renewel, especially after the car has done 60,000 miles, but stays the same on Direct Debit.

Did I reply with "Contact BMW and ask them" - No I did not. So please do not respond to my comments in your usual manner. I seriously wonder about you sometimes and your attitude towards other people on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

philtrick123

I have sent you a PM with a lot more information in. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would like to point out that you too raised a question in relation to costing etc in another thread:

What was the cost if paying monthly by direct debit? My X3 has 11 months left of the 3 year warranty to run before I am confronted by the same problem. Also does the quote you received include the BMW breakdown? Is yours the 2.0d or is it the 3 litre diesel?

I understand from reading elsewhere that if you renew annually the price goes up each renewel, especially after the car has done 60,000 miles, but stays the same on Direct Debit.

Did I reply with "Contact BMW and ask them" - No I did not. So please do not respond to my comments in your usual manner. I seriously wonder about you sometimes and your attitude towards other people on this forum.
What has that got to do with this thread? Absolutely nothing! I have sent a clarification PM.

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-19-2015 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Thanks for the replies and the PM. I'm still left wondering if I can enable data connectivity to the X3 via Bluetooth by coding.
I'm thinking yes for countries that don't have inbuilt SIM service- but I'm also thinking that no one has tried yet.

Any coding experts that can comment?
Appreciate 0