BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Battery issues in your 2013 X3?

Anyone with a 2013 X3 experience any battery issues? Has BMW corrected this problem?

I read a review of a
gentleman who started a thread where the dealer tells him that for his 2011 X3 he needs to drive 30 miles a day to keep the battery functioning- this is too outrageous for words. That he needs to buy an additional product to have a normal functioning battery? Huh?

I look forward to hearing from you?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Not here, some days don't drive it at all.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

My X3 sat in the garage for almost 3 weeks when we went on summer holidays. Car started with no issue but did indicate a low battery. Drove it for 30 minutes and the low battery warning went away on the subsequent start. Assuming the battery is in good condition, no car should have to be driven daily to keep the battery functioning.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
That's good to hear . Maybe BMW corrected whatever issues they had with the release of the new X3 model for 2011.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Battery Issues

With all the really outstanding electronics on the X3 power supply can at times can be a challenge, particularly if the X3 does not get a good run on a regular basis. Having the low battery notice come up does not nessasarily indicate something is wrong with the X3, to my mind most of the time excessive power use and low running time is usually the problem.
I purchased a (CTEK) battery charger and have used it only once in the past 6 months to bring the battery back to a full charge.
I dont have a problem with having to re-charge the battery once in awhile.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
With all the really outstanding electronics on the X3 power supply can at times can be a challenge, particularly if the X3 does not get a good run on a regular basis. Having the low battery notice come up does not nessasarily indicate something is wrong with the X3, to my mind most of the time excessive power use and low running time is usually the problem.
I purchased a (CTEK) battery charger and have used it only once in the past 6 months to bring the battery back to a full charge.
I dont have a problem with having to re-charge the battery once in awhile.
See the issue much the same.

I come from an era when my father and virtually everyone else 'trickle charged' their battery several times a winter. Why? Battery drain exceeded charging rate/time.

It was the time of the dynamo and charging capacity against demand wasn't a match for many average drivers. Then came the alternator and we virtually forgot about the subject.

Now we seem to be back to the same issue, as we now have so many power hungry options, electric heated seats, steering wheels, rear screens, high power hi-fi, etc. Even with high capacity alternators and a huge battery, some drivers, using many of the options, energy demands again exceed the capacity to recharge in the time they are running the engine.

The idea of 30 miles a day is, IMO, hyperbole, but does illustrate how some users will need more driving time due to energy consumption, (and there are bound to be some users who fit in that category), or run a smart charger on ocassion, to keep the battery in top condition.

I use a smart charger as a matter of course during winter time, as I don't use my car every day, just to ensure a battery with plenty of capacity.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I'm fortunate to have a Acura sitting in my driveway to boost the BMW if it fails. That said, if I was really concerned about the BMW's battery going dead I would have bought a 28i instead of the 35i then purchased a used Hyundai with the savings as a stand-by battery booster.

haha, you guys kill me. There is no need for a trickle charger on a car made in 2013.
      10-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
haha, you guys kill me. There is no need for a trickle charger on a car made in 2013.
Normally we wouldn't need an additional charge, but there are always exceptions and some will find they have battery issues, often thinking it is the vehicle, rather than think of its use. It may take several months to run a battery down, if the driving mileage is not enough to recharge it sufficiently. But it does happen, 2012 or not.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Agree - sometimes my Assist start/stop doesn't work or it restarts itself and I think it may be a power issue. Sitting at a light with the lights and the heater on must pull some power out of the battery.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
dmm3lmx3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M Sport

2013 X3 35i Battery Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Anyone with a 2013 X3 experience any battery issues? Has BMW corrected this problem?

I read a review of a
gentleman who started a thread where the dealer tells him that for his 2011 X3 he needs to drive 30 miles a day to keep the battery functioning- this is too outrageous for words. That he needs to buy an additional product to have a normal functioning battery? Huh?

I look forward to hearing from you?

Thanks!

YES! I am having battery issues with my 2013 X3 35i. We have had the vehicle since July 2012 and had no problems, I absolutely love this vehicle - until March 22, 2013. I had been ill and had not driven the X3 for about 3 days. When we attempted to leave our home, the X3 was dead in the driveway. It had to be towed for service, and our dealer charged it overnight. They told us that the battery lost charge because it must be driven at or above 50 miles an hour to fully charge the battery, and that it died because the car sat for a few days (seriously???). After the charge, all seemed fine until May 1, 2013. I had used the X3 during the day for some errands and had gone over 50 miles per hour. It only sat for two hours in my driveway; I went to leave, and again, the battery was dead. This time we jumped it ourselves and ran the car for several hours. The service department has yet to call me back. Spoke to my dealer today and he told me again about going over 50 mph . . . well, that does not apply this time! I had used the X3 all week! If anyone else has had a similar problem, I'd love to hear about it. There has to be another reason why my battery is draining. Also, there may be times when I don't use the X3 for a day or two, and I shouldn't have to worry whether my new vehicle will start or not! I appreciate any response! Thank you.

Also: Never had any problems in the winter when I drove it less and used more options (front and rear heated seats, etc.). Now, when I'm using less power, is when the battery dies? I just don't get it.

Last edited by dmm3lmx3; 05-08-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I got a PM on the other forum from an active member with the following response:

It pretty much charges all of the time, just at different levels. Here's a quick list of voltages from this morning. OAT was a balmy 7F, -14C. My X3 lives outside, so the battery had a nice overnight chill on it.

Locked - Battery monitor display dark, as the 12V receptacle powered down 5-15min after the car was locked for the night.
Unlock and wakeup - 11.78V
Start - 10.45V
Cold Idle, 14.63V
Heated Seats and Steering Wheel on - 14.53V
Driving, side streets, 14.4V - 14.6V
Red Light, 14.50V - 14.63V
Driving, state highway, 45MPH limit - 14.2V - 14.62V
Red Light, 14.75V
Interstate highway, 65MPH limit - 14.6's
Red Light, 14.6V - 14.7V
Parking lot, engine running in Park - 14.79V - 14.81V

The voltage appears to be slightly higher when I'm decelerating and into the blue Efficient Dynamics section of the mileage display, but the X3 is definitely charging all of the time.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,
      05-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
One thing I've heard, and one thing I discovered:
1) The "auto headlight" switch might suck power when the car is off, it's been reported here a couple of times. To clear that problem, if you park the car for 1+ day, make sure the headlights are not set to "auto"
2) I had an ODB bluetooth adapter on the car for a while; it turns out it sucks enough juice when the car is off to trigger a low battery alert after a single day.

And ultimately, yes, having car with such a large battery and not be able to forget about it for a couple of week sucks. My 2003 Renault Scenic could be off for 3 weeks without ever, EVER any issue (of that kind ;-)), even in the dead of winter.
      05-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

The driving above 50 mph is BS - the battery charging has nothing to do with how fast the car is going, it is a belt driven engine accessory and the only thing that makes a difference is the RPM of the engine - at idle it will make a little less than when driving, but otherwise about 1000 RPM it is basically regulating the alternator output and the voltage should be the same. What is true is that you need to drive it to charge up the battery as at idle it may be very slow to charge, but speed is irrelevant for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm3lmx3 View Post
YES! I am having battery issues with my 2013 X3 35i. We have had the vehicle since July 2012 and had no problems, I absolutely love this vehicle - until March 22, 2013. I had been ill and had not driven the X3 for about 3 days. When we attempted to leave our home, the X3 was dead in the driveway. It had to be towed for service, and our dealer charged it overnight. They told us that the battery lost charge because it must be driven at or above 50 miles an hour to fully charge the battery, and that it died because the car sat for a few days (seriously???). After the charge, all seemed fine until May 1, 2013. I had used the X3 during the day for some errands and had gone over 50 miles per hour. It only sat for two hours in my driveway; I went to leave, and again, the battery was dead. This time we jumped it ourselves and ran the car for several hours. The service department has yet to call me back. Spoke to my dealer today and he told me again about going over 50 mph . . . well, that does not apply this time! I had used the X3 all week! If anyone else has had a similar problem, I'd love to hear about it. There has to be another reason why my battery is draining. Also, there may be times when I don't use the X3 for a day or two, and I shouldn't have to worry whether my new vehicle will start or not! I appreciate any response! Thank you.

Also: Never had any problems in the winter when I drove it less and used more options (front and rear heated seats, etc.). Now, when I'm using less power, is when the battery dies? I just don't get it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I have had no problems with my 2013 x3. The only time I had problems was when i kept using the BMW remote app to play around when I came back from a 5 week trip and then the low battery warning came on but went away instantly and never came back
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

my lights have been on auto and I have a bluetooth obcd unit plugged in all the time.
Car left for 3-5 days at a time often. Never had an issue.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

had my x3 for about 20 months now.. every week, I would probably not drive it for 3 - 4 days at a time and when I do, it would be about 10 miles each way with a longer distance thrown in at the weekends...

not had any probs with starting first time every time..
      05-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
sk330i
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I was told that the car should be "locked" even when it's parked inside a garage. The electronics are in "ready" mode when the car is unlocked and that drains the battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
EvilGenius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk330i View Post
I was told that the car should be "locked" even when it's parked inside a garage. The electronics are in "ready" mode when the car is unlocked and that drains the battery.
It can be unlocked, but the trick is that the key must go inside with you. If you leave it in the car in a locked garage, the general module will not go to sleep due to key presence.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #19
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Mine works fine, no issues - though the last time I had it in for service (a couple months ago) they said there was a battery recall and they replaced it for free. I wasn't having any issues before they replaced, and I definitely am not having any issues now, but who knows?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #20
Mike_C
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i,CarbonBl,M Sport

2013 X3 35i battery depletes easily especially in winter

Yes I have the same problem. I have the Premium package w touch keyless entry, alarm, GPS tracking etc... all sucking up current while stationary. My wife drives it quite low mileage sometimes daily or every other day (~ 33Km / 20.5Mi) but that should not be a battery killer.
Combine that w -20C (-4F) temp when the battery capacity depletes normally and you have the recipe for the battery sensor to display Low Charge / Charge Battery !! (which shows frequent when stopping the engine)
I do charge it time to time w a smart charger & is fine after ... until a few days later.
My thought is that the respective battery lot may have a problem like low acid concentration, Pb elements issue, something on those lines. I don't want to think there are loose contacts between the alternator & battery.
It's too much of a coincidence that reports of this problem started after the 1st year and degrading during this '13-'14 East coast cold winter.

Last edited by Mike_C; 01-21-2014 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #21
retiredguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Hi all I have been reading this thread and others on issues re battery. Never thought that after buying a premium vehicle that I can not leave it for 2 or 3 weeks in a park and fly to go to Florida in fear of having to call for a tow when I arrive back in Canada. To me this is a design issue. My Honda Accord can sit for a month and no problems re battery..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #22
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

I think the issue is with a car that only does short trips (eg less then 10miles each time) in that the battery never gets a good charge. If you drive to the airport then (unless its down the road) it should not be a problem. Its not battery capacity that is the issue it is lack of charging time between repeated starts. - all cars (well batteries!) have the same design issue so nothing to do with premium brand or not.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0