BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Opinions on buying a diesel in the UK

My 35D lease comes to an end in December. I have the option to buy the car for £25k, it'll be 3 years old on 26k miles. It's been reliable and great fun. The spec is what I selected so it's right for me.

If I keep the car for 2 or 3 years it'll be close to the time when several cities implement clean air zones. I believe this will mean sub Euro 6 diesels will be banned. My 35D is a Euro 5.

I can wait to see if anything significant happens in the November budget but I I'm nervous that buying with 35D could be a risk in terms of future resale.

Any thoughts from the UK contingent?
      10-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
My 35D lease comes to an end in December. I have the option to buy the car for £25k, it'll be 3 years old on 26k miles. It's been reliable and great fun. The spec is what I selected so it's right for me.

If I keep the car for 2 or 3 years it'll be close to the time when several cities implement clean air zones. I believe this will mean sub Euro 6 diesels will be banned. My 35D is a Euro 5.

I can wait to see if anything significant happens in the November budget but I I'm nervous that buying with 35D could be a risk in terms of future resale.

Any thoughts from the UK contingent?
There is only speculation in the newspapers that it will be sub Euro 6 diesels that will get banned. There is nothing official anywhere. In London they are going to penalize Euro 4 diesels to the tune of an extra £10 on the London congestion charge. They cannot push their luck any further, just look at all the dirty taxi's and buses going around the city. In Oxford city centre they are looking at banning ALL petrol and diesel engined vehicles, so it matters little what fuel you are going to use. Other cities are going to follow.

I would suggest waiting to see what will happen in the budget. It is my guess that nothing too startling will happen in the near future. The government will have too much on its hands over Brexit in the next 18 months anyway. Also the government are not going to sign a suicide vote concerning diesels and let the opposition into power.

If you look in BMW dealerships, you can purchase one of the last F25 X3 xDrive 35d's for £36k with only 101 miles on the clock that was pre-registered in January 2017.

By the way, I have just taken out another GAP insurance for 3 years on my 63 plate (Oct 2013) X3 xDrive 30d MSport (Pre LCI Euro 5) and using the Glasses Guide it is valued at £22,608, so the value has not fallen anymore than the normal depreciation one would expect.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #3
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

What is a concern though is that the drop in car sales is due mainly to a drop in diesel puchases. This will follow into the 2nd hand market I expect.

I've looked at the nearly new 35Ds...they aren't good specs. Most don't even have xenons which would cause a problem on resale.

I too don't expect anything significant from the budget.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:14 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
What is a concern though is that the drop in car sales is due mainly to a drop in diesel puchases. This will follow into the 2nd hand market I expect.
Perhaps not in away some people envisage. The price of the larger capacity fuel efficient low mileage diesel cars such as ours may increase in value. That HAS happened with my car. Source was/is Glasses Guide.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Newer diesels will not be outlawed anytime soon. However the public has started to turn their backs against diesels and we are on the brink of petrol and hybrid X3s in the UK.

The influx of small SUVs will strongly challenge diesels X3s in the future. Kodiaq, Karoq, XC40, E-Pace, X2, GLA, X1, T-Roc and Ateca are amongst SUV/Crossovers that didn't exist when the F25 launched. Some are powered by punchy, quiet and economical 1.5L petrol engines and with a starting price of around £23-28K they grow to become a more attractive choice than a used X3 or Q5 diesel with high monthly payment due to aggressive PCP deals on new cars.

Purchase your car if you still love it and refinancing will result in lower monthly payments. However don't expect depreciation to bottom out as the aforementioned cars are more economic and compact options for those who don't need maximum boot capacity.