BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

OK! Lotus7, do you have a view?

Like many others on this site I value the numerous views expressed by Lotus7; therefore, I would like to know what his(?) thoughts are on the use of the X3 cruise control. For instance should it be used to control ones speed 'uphill and down dale' to prevent one from exceeding maximum permitted speed limit?

In the event that others have a view too, then please feel free to pitch in.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I think we should develop a tribute thread to Lotus7 for his contributions to the forum.

I typically don't use cruise control because I'm always driving in the city. If the X3 had stop and go active cruise control, I would use it a lot, I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I think we should develop a tribute thread to Lotus7 for his contributions to the forum.

+1
      12-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

In my current Toyota I have both Cruise & Speed Limiter. The latter is very much more useful in avoiding the 'Blue lights in the rear window' syndrome. I use it whenever I am in a 30 or 40mph limit.

However the X3 doesn't have a Speed Limiter so when my X3 arrives I shall have to get used to using Cruise again as my protection.

That said, I find using Cruise to avoid speeding effective. It is so easy to drive to fast in speed limited areas without realising.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I don't really use cruise control either since most of my driving is within the city.

I'm not sure how CC would affect going uphill but I believe cruise control only brakes the rear wheels when slowing or going down hill versus braking all 4 wheels when using the pedal. I would also think that if you use CC enough your rear brake pads and tires would wear out sooner than the front ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
In my current Toyota I have both Cruise & Speed Limiter. The latter is very much more useful in avoiding the 'Blue lights in the rear window' syndrome. I use it whenever I am in a 30 or 40mph limit.

However the X3 doesn't have a Speed Limiter so when my X3 arrives I shall have to get used to using Cruise again as my protection.

That said, I find using Cruise to avoid speeding effective. It is so easy to drive to fast in speed limited areas without realising.
I'm not sure if you're referring to active cruise control, the type that automatically slows down your car if there's a vehicle or object in front of your car or if you're talking about normal CC + a speed limit warning.

If you're referring to the latter the X3 does in fact come with the option to set a certain speed and an audible chime when you exceed that speed. You can set it somewhere in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

Lotus7

I would luv to live in a place where I can use CC on the way to work each morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post

+1
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogMogX3 View Post
Like many others on this site I value the numerous views expressed by Lotus7; therefore, I would like to know what his(?) thoughts are on the use of the X3 cruise control. For instance should it be used to control ones speed 'uphill and down dale' to prevent one from exceeding maximum permitted speed limit?

In Lotus absence I can add, with reference to the owners manual that cruise is not efficient when going up/down inclines, fuel will take a hit for no other benefit.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I Lotus7 with the best of 'em, but to try and answer the OP's question: I use cruise control daily, and see no reason to disable it when going up or down hills - that is one of its key benefits. Nothing frustrates me more than being behind someone on an incline and they begin.... to.... slow... down.... because they are not using CC and can't maintain their speed. The only reason not to use it on hills would be if the grade is very steep and you don't want the CC using your kickdown. As for decending hills - it's great for that, and will even apply the brakes if they are needed.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I Lotus7 with the best of 'em, but to try and answer the OP's question: I use cruise control daily, and see no reason to disable it when going up or down hills - that is one of its key benefits. Nothing frustrates me more than being behind someone on an incline and they begin.... to.... slow... down.... because they are not using CC and can't maintain their speed. The only reason not to use it on hills would be if the grade is very steep and you don't want the CC using your kickdown. As for decending hills - it's great for that, and will even apply the brakes if they are needed.
It's less efficient over hills than carefully moderating your speed manually (i.e. slowing up the hill and allowing the car to accelerate down it). I am that annoying person on the incline! The BMW red/green marker that appears next to speedo to show your set CC speed and the way it moves around and changes from green to red when your speed changes is legendary

As for Lotus, if I'm ever fortunate enough to see his yellow Lotus Seven driving in Illinois (some of my in-laws are in Chicago so it could happen!) I'll flag him down and insist on buying him a drink

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post

+1
+1 I enjoy being educated by a knowledgeable person.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

The suspense in waiting for Lotus to reply is killing me...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
TogMogX3
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
The suspense in waiting for Lotus to reply is killing me...
Yes! The 'bleeder' is keeping us all in 'suspenders'!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #15
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Yes! The 'bleeder' is keeping us all in 'suspenders'!
Perhaps Lotus is building an image akin to that of The Stig whereby the real identity becomes irrelevant and only imagination beholds. Perhaps we can start a thread of guessing the real world life of Lotus and his occupation, background etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #16
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Some say he was cast in forges of the Bavarian Motor Works, and that his brain is actually the next generation of iDrive. All we know is, he's called Lotus7!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:

Can you also just use the appropriate gear and moderate the throttle / braking accordingly?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #18
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Can you also just use the appropriate gear and moderate the throttle / braking accordingly?
Probably, but keep in mind that here in the States, we only get the automatic transmission. Opinions from here may be cobbled by the fact that there's no diesel engine and no manual transmission in the selection process.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0