BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

personalized plate

On a lark I checked to see if "bmw x3" was available for personalized plates. It turns out the plate was available so I ordered it.

I'm having second thoughts about having personalized plates because it makes the car recognizable. I kinda like being inconigto.

Anyway I'm gonna install the plates since I can always take 'em off if they cause grief.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

That's awesome that BMW X3 is available lbjgh.

However I find the plate kinda funny in the way it reads because I interpret it is "BMW X3 Yours to Discover" as if you are inviting someone to steal it and take it for a joy ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #3
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I got one.... Kind of defeats the object of being debadged tho

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

cheesebag, you are working against yourself.

Beyu, I would like to think "yours to discover" sounds more like a sales pitch as opposed to a invitation to "pinch" the wheels. A few years ago we pulled a prank on a co-worker and made a personalized plate for his car before a long weekend. haha, buddy drove his car 2hrs to his cottage with a "IM Gay" "yours to discover" on the back of his car. He got lots of waves and smiles... he said he couldn't figure out why his mustang got so much attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Can I ask a very honest question about personalized plates of this nature? (I'm not trying to set the cat amongst the pigeons or be a jerk, I'm just very curious about this because, honestly, it's one of my pet peeves and I've always wanted to try and have a civilized conversation about it.) Here goes:
Don't personalized plates cost extra? If so, why would someone have the most obvious of plates? "BMW X3" on a BMW X3. I don't get it. I've seen "Red RX7" on guess what kind of car? What I see out of this is paying extra to display a very limited imagination.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against personalized plates and I love when I read confusing ones, debate with someone what we think it means and then laugh when we realize how clever. Whenever I see the most simplistic plate, I want to ask the driver why. I want to know honestly why without being a wise-ass. Just honest curiosity.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelFan View Post
Can I ask a very honest question about personalized plates of this nature? (I'm not trying to set the cat amongst the pigeons or be a jerk, I'm just very curious about this because, honestly, it's one of my pet peeves and I've always wanted to try and have a civilized conversation about it.) Here goes:
Don't personalized plates cost extra? If so, why would someone have the most obvious of plates? "BMW X3" on a BMW X3. I don't get it. I've seen "Red RX7" on guess what kind of car? What I see out of this is paying extra to display a very limited imagination.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against personalized plates and I love when I read confusing ones, debate with someone what we think it means and then laugh when we realize how clever. Whenever I see the most simplistic plate, I want to ask the driver why. I want to know honestly why without being a wise-ass. Just honest curiosity.
Thanks.

I wouldn't get a personalized plate myself, but maybe some like a simple name because it is easy to remember? e.g. when you check in to a hotel and they ask for your license plate.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Bingo.

I can never remember my bloody plate number... I know it is only 7 or 8 digits but my current plate just never sunk in. I won't forget this plate number.

I had thought of using something like I0lo0lI to screw up the parking enforcement... hmm is that an 'oh' or a zero & is that an "I" or a one. Problem is I'd never remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
I wouldn't get a personalized plate myself, but maybe some like a simple name because it is easy to remember? e.g. when you check in to a hotel and they ask for your license plate.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
cheesebag, you are working against yourself.

Beyu, I would like to think "yours to discover" sounds more like a sales pitch as opposed to a invitation to "pinch" the wheels. A few years ago we pulled a prank on a co-worker and made a personalized plate for his car before a long weekend. haha, buddy drove his car 2hrs to his cottage with a "IM Gay" "yours to discover" on the back of his car. He got lots of waves and smiles... he said he couldn't figure out why his mustang got so much attention.
LOL

I have personal plates - makes it easier to find my cars in a car park.

I tend to make them number letter combinations that can be read in a different way.

like 6ULDV8 only that one isn't one of mine.
PRIME8 is one of my favourites, but not one of mine.
UP43SUM is one I have seen as well.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Yea, I don't get the whole personalized plate thing too. My boss has the initials of the name. That just seems so unimaginative and a waste of $75.

If I were ever to do it, it would have to be something really funny that makes other drivers burst out laughing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Thanks.
+1 re Q re plates showing make/model.
      03-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #11
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Quote:
Thanks.
Personally I think it stands out more than BV61 WXR or whatever the dealer would have got me!

Mine was £400 but I can transfer it to any car in future (as long as its not older than an X reg whick I think is around the year 2000)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

my plate cost $250

man, is everything over priced in the UK?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
my plate cost $250

Could say the same thing for Canada. I just checked the state of Michigan's website, and it looks like personalized plates are available for an additional $45.00 per year.

Last edited by mibmwx3; 03-02-2012 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Here it is a one time cost... then the yearly registration is the same as other tags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Could say the same thing for Canada. I just checked the state of Michigan's website, and it looks like personalized plates are available for an additional $45.00 per year.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

The best [pair] of personalised number plates I've seen, were a couple of cars parked in a drive, one with "2 BE" the other with "NOT 2B",
Neither Bmw's but nevertheless, quiet good I thought!
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #16
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Personalized plates are an extra $10 per year here in Virginia. I have BXR RS on my R1100RS and BRIK S on my K75s. Nothing on the 650GS yet as THMPR was already taken. BTW, these are BMW motorcycles.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #17
Markap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite
The best [pair] of personalised number plates I've seen, were a couple of cars parked in a drive, one with "2 BE" the other with "NOT 2B",
Neither Bmw's but nevertheless, quiet good I thought!
Best I ever saw was on a small trailer behind a BMW motorcycle...HER STF
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
my plate cost $250

Some personalized plates over here cost $2,000.

People are driving around in 10K cars with 2K plates. It's criminal but people keep buying.....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Well...

Just had a look at our local plate site...

It's gone up again..

If I wanted the following plate (my name being Sam):

$2395.00

Seriously.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #20
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

$2400 is insane!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Why? What makes that plate so valuable? Who would pay it? Why charge it?
      03-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #22
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

because it's 'exclusive'.

people pay it - so they charge accordingly..
Appreciate 0