BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Question about SiriusXM for recent X3 models...

Could someone with SiriusXM on their 2014 and 2015 X3s tell me if they get KOREA TODAY on Channel 144? I believe models previous to those years had the older Sirius hardware that is not capable of receiving all the channels that the Sirius or SiriusXM lineup currently offers. KOREA TODAY was added to the Sirius and SiriusXM lineup a while back but the radios in the X3s were not capable of receiving Channel 144. That is, my 2012 X3 cannot receive this channel.

It's annoying because my home radios support the full SiriusXM lineup and my X3 radio doesn't even support the full Sirius lineup.

(For those that aren't aware, there are 3 channel lineups based on the type of radio you have: Sirius, XM, and SiriusXM. They each have a few channels that differ. I read, however, that they have been moving to producing only radios that fully support the SiriusXM lineup in order to finally standardize the hardware from the merger.)

I plan on getting a 2015 X3 and am wondering if they have the newer satellite radio hardware. I read that the hardware used now is capable of downloading and updating channel icons/images so perhaps it's all new hardware?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

143. Then 147. Looking at the siriusxm channel guide, it is online only for Sirius. Available for XM, or SiriusXM.

So apparently they only include the legacy sirius hardware.

I suppose I could get it in my several year old add on unit I bought for my other car. That was the Mirge unit the feds essentially forced them to offer. But that one, unless you subscribed to both packages, limited you to the Sirius channels.

There have been updates where they provide some of the popular channels that used to be only on one or the other made available on the other. Such as Stern. Korea Today apparently didn't make the cut.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Really?! Which year do you have? I really thought that they would have used current SiriusXM hardware by now. I actually thought I read that that is what they were going to do.... and I really thought I also read BMW literature that the satellite radio was being upgraded to show logos in the 2015 models (which then I thought meant newer hardware).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Appreciate 0