BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Understanding iPod/iPhone integration

I have ordered almost everything other than the kitchen sink for my 35D.

One of the options I avoided ordering was the 6NR (Mobile application preparation).

As I understand it, this allows you to use Facebook, Twitter and Web Radio by way of the BMW Connected App, which must be running on your iPhone to work (and which apparently when a call comes in the quits …).

So far 6NR looks pants …

On the other hand I did order

6NF (Telephone USB audio interface)
6NL (Enhanced Bluetooth functionality incl. BMW Assist with USB audio interface)
633 (Bluetooth phone prep + telematics)

Now the question I have is:

Apple have a feature called “iPod Out”, which allows the iPhone/iPod’s music player to be controlled remotely via USB, specifically the iDrive UI in this case …

And the question is … will this work *without* 6NR?

Which “feature option” is “iPod Out” support a component of?

I only ask because I currently have a delivery date of week 23 and was told that if I added 6NR this would change to a week 35 delivery … F#@K that for a game of soldiers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

The iPod Out feature is called "PlugIn" in the Connected Drive menu. It essentially uses the iDrive screen as an external display driven by your iPhone, so you get an Apple UI instead of a BMW UI for music. Not sure if it works if you do not have 6NR, probably not, but I can confirm it does not work unless you also get the snap-in media cradle for iPhone 4/4S (doesn't work via USB cable only).

Last edited by nonagon; 03-21-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks.

The magic question is do I need 6NR and does the App need to be running?

About the only sensible information I have been able to find is in this forum ... but I am still left hoping 6NR is not required ... I don't think it's worth waiting another 13 weeks over the 10 I have still to wait!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

You don't get "PlugIn" w/o 6NR. So w/o 6NR you not get the nicer Apple like interface. You can still play you music through iDrive, though.
      03-21-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks.

Do you know if the BMW App has to be running for "Plugin" to work?

Have they fixed the fact that you need to restart the app after making an outgoing call?

To quote the FAQ:

"Why is the BMW Connected app closed by an outgoing telephone call?
This is a known behavior of the Apple iPhone. When an outgoing call is made, the active app is closed. After the call has finished, you have to relaunch the BMW Connected app. It is recommended to start the BMW Connected app only when road traffic conditions permit. For driving safety reasons, the operation of your iPhone while driving is not recommended."
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I don't know whether the app has to be running -- I THINK not if I recall how the similar system operated on a Mini. 6NR wasn't available when I bought mine.
      03-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
erv.walter
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Garage List
The BMW App does not have to be running or even installed to get to the Plugin UI. The iPod Out feature is built into the core of the iPhone operating system by Apple and can be activated no matter what application is currently running on the phone.
      03-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the help ... I have managed to get my order updated to include 6NR without impacting delivery date ... phew.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Good call adding it. It is a really cheap option considering how much they charge for everything else. In the US it is only $250 and it is designed so you can get new features in the future. So even if you don't care about the facebook and twitter stuff they may add something later that you want.
      03-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Hi there,

Can someone tell me if it is becos the car didnt have 6NR and therefore Apple Shuffle Ipod (very old - 1st generation - http://news.cnet.com/2300-10793_3-10...s=0&o=10008049) plugged via USB didnt work?

I would have thought that the USB would have pick up the songs from the Ipod the same way as picking up songs from the USB stick, but no.

Appreciate if someone could shed some lights
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
erv.walter
Rep

Garage List
6NR (BMW Apps) wouldn't have any affect on anything connected to USB. It's probable (I can't prove it) that the iPod is just too old and doesn't support whatever communication protocol BMW uses to talk to modern iPods.
      03-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I wonder if anyone will revese engineer the BMW App app and the interface protocol and write their own proxy/applications.

I also wonder what the extent/limit of the interaction between the iPhone BMW App and the CIC is.

On the face of it, it would appear that the iPhone app is where all the functionality is running and it "sends" UI to the CIC and recieves keypresses/events from the iDrive controller.

It would also appear that the iPhone App can interogate and possibly instruct the CIC.

I imagine there are many interesting opportunities for hackers, but I am still waiting to see anything from BMW that inspires my immagination.

For now, I am happy I will be able to use native iPod functions on my iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by degarfs View Post
Hi there,

Can someone tell me if it is becos the car didnt have 6NR and therefore Apple Shuffle Ipod (very old - 1st generation - http://news.cnet.com/2300-10793_3-10...s=0&o=10008049) plugged via USB didnt work?

I would have thought that the USB would have pick up the songs from the Ipod the same way as picking up songs from the USB stick, but no.

Appreciate if someone could shed some lights
1st Gen iPod Shuffle doesn't output audio over usb I believe, might try the BMW Y cable and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erv.walter View Post
The BMW App does not have to be running or even installed to get to the Plugin UI. The iPod Out feature is built into the core of the iPhone operating system by Apple and can be activated no matter what application is currently running on the phone.
May be true, but only if you have 6NR.
      03-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
erv.walter
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
May be true, but only if you have 6NR.
Correct. 6NR (BMW Apps) is required to provide the wiring for the 30 pin dock connector. Without it, there is only a USB connection which is insufficient for iPod Out.
      03-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
1st Gen iPod Shuffle doesn't output audio over usb I believe, might try the BMW Y cable and see if it works.

Time to ditch the 1st gen Shuffle.