BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

I have the rattle and took the cargo cover thing out a long time ago. It sounds like the latch for the hatch is loose or something. Of course service couldn't hear/find it but its driving me mad. Gonna try the bumper adjustments mentioned but I wanted to chime in and say its not always that cargo cover..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 03:57 AM   #24
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
The adjustment of the bumper stops is driving me crazy.

When it's pretty much exactly at the level where the play in the latch disappears, it's too far out for it to consistently close, especially when parked up an incline which reduces the gravitational assistance. Aaaargh!!

Does anyone know of any other approach to resolving this, besides the bump stops?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #25
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Just to keep the thread going..... my 2016 X3 35i started making the noise after about 4 months. It also started making a really annoying squeaking sound in the dash at the same time, but that's another story.

I emptied everything from the back and actually squeezed myself in there while my wife drove the car. Don't recommend that, but anyway, my noise was/is definitely coming from the hatch or the latch itself.

Took it to the dealership, they acknowledged that they heard it and said they adjusted the rear stops. BTW - You need to do that by opening up the interior side compartments and loosening a jam nut of some kind before you can turn the bumpers.

Anyway, that lasted about a week before it came back. It's been getting steadily worse, and I've got a call into the service department to make a new appointment so they can try it again. I really don't think its the bumpers, if the hatch sticks out any further its going to break the plane of the hatch/quarter panel seams in the back.

My thinking is that sometimes it seems after the hatch has opened and closed the noise diminishes for a bit, which makes me suspect it's a latch issue.

If anyone has had a dealership actually fix this, I'd love to hear about it before I go back in. I expect some extra noise in this type of bodystyle, but outright rattles and squeaks aren't acceptable to me.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #26
Spatch
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: X3 30d M-Sport

Mine developed this noise. Came and went randomly. Initially it would be quiet after shutting the boot but would then return after a few miles.

Since the noise appeared after I had had a towbar fitted I assumed it was associated, but after spending hours tidying up the wiring and securing everything it still did it slightly, again totally randomly.

What has worked for me was a touch of grease on the latch. Never touched the bumpers. Been quiet ever since.

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #27
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatch View Post

What has worked for me was a touch of grease on the latch. Never touched the bumpers. Been quiet ever since.

Mark.
Thanks Mark, I'll give that a try. The dealership took another cut at it by adjusting the striker then readjusting the bumpers. Slowly coming back. If the grease doesn't work, at this rate I might just replace the latch myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #28
Spitfire-
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Hope this helps others who have the same issue.

I had the rattle issue with my 2015 X3 trunk every time I went over a bump. I searched on the forums and tried the bumper adjustment solution. Initially adjusting the bumpers would make it go away for a while but as of late this solution stopped working. It would rattle no matter how much I adjusted the bumpers.

Finally, I decided to take it to the dealer to get them to take a look at it and get the recall work done as well. According to my service record, the trunk lock actuator was split. They replaced it and the rattle is no longer present. I attached the service record in case anyone needs to get their trunk fixed as well.

Side note, for those of you that are wondering the recall work takes a day to complete.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #29
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Sometimes you wish you had never read something !

My tailgate has just started rattling .. I'm going to blame it on this thread

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #30
Rickywinterborn
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 and 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleplus2 View Post
Check the black rubber adjustable bumpers on the trunk. One on each side. Try adjusting them, helped fix mine.
Hi. Thanks. Worked for me too 👍👌
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #31
Tbahz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 28i

Rattle from latch?

I am not 100% sure if my issue is the same as others.

But I have determined its sometime from the "latch". When the tailgate is closed, and driving around for a period of time, and going over imperfect roads especially in winter where the roads are uneven due to snow compact, or going up a ramp in a parkade, the car flexes, I heard a rattle.

The rattle sounds like if you have a small pack of screws in one of those plastic containers at Home Depot... thats the sound it makes when it rattles. But the rattle starts off quite discreetly, and as I drive, it becomes more and more, and then every road seems I hear the sound.

The fix (temp) is opening the tailgate and closing. It usually stops, until i drive for a period of time (sometimes 15 km before it makes the sound again).

So i feel the issue is the latch - either in the tailgate or at the bottom of the trunk.

Anyone else have this specific problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #32
Tonyb635
Rep
Drives: 2008 535

On my x4 I have a similar rattle but only noticeable when slower speeds. If I go into a dip in the road or something that seems to flex the car you hear. The dealer treated the seal with something and then had to adjust the lid tightness. It seemed to fix it but after a few days it seems to come and go but not as bad. I made another appointment for next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #33
Spitfire-
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzimak View Post
Hi Spitfire, any feedback on this matter, did this fix be more permanent solution for U or has it returned?
It fixed it for about a year and a half and then the same rattle came back. I took it back to the dealer and they had to readjust something which made it go away. I've since traded it in for the 2019 X3.

My parents have a 2017 X3 and it's starting to exhibit the same rattle issue in the trunk. I'll be taking it in tomorrow to the dealer to get that fixed for them. I'm starting to think that it's a badly designed trunk latch on BMW's part.
      06-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #34
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

I've had a leaky seal around the bottom of my tailgate. Now I'm going to check if the latch is rattling.

I'm sure having a 15" sub in the back since I've had the car hasn't helped
Appreciate 0