BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-06-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
bjp1979
Private
Rep
Drives: VW Golf TDI soon to be X1 20d

5 year service plan. Should I buy?

Will be picking up my new X3 next week.

Typically I only do about 7000 miles a year.

The first service apparently isn't due till 16000 miles.

I have the car on a PCP arrangement for 4 years but will likely hand it back for something else after 3 years.

Is it true about the 16000 miles till the first service is due. I'm new to BMW - my dealer is Williams...

My question is - based on my mileage do you think I will get away with just the one service. Typically what will this first service cost and is it worth me getting the 5 year service plan. It would cost me £468 overall, or another £12 a month.

Really unsure what to do so help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ben
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:19 AM   #2
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Servicing is both time and mileage based therefore even if you don't do the miles you will still need a service every 12 months. £468 is a bargain to cover your X3 for all of its servicing needs for your 4 years of ownership. Not sure what BMW charge for individual services but my last vehicle a Land Rover cost me £290 for the first, £390 for the second and £350 for the third
      12-06-2016, 03:19 AM   #3
Flipflop99
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI 2.0d SE Auto

I've got the service plan and its not worth the money in my opinion. But I own my car outright and intend to keep it for many years. You'll only be giving the value of the plan to the person who owns the car after you as on your mileage, you'll only get one service from it.

7000 miles a year? Are you sure you want a diesel?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 03:24 AM   #4
Flipflop99
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Servicing is both time and mileage based therefore even if you don't do the miles you will still need a service every 12 months. £468 is a bargain to cover your X3 for all of its servicing needs for your 4 years of ownership. Not sure what BMW charge for individual services but my last vehicle a Land Rover cost me £290 for the first, £390 for the second and £350 for the third
It will not need a service every 12 months. It will be down to the mileage or every 2 years. Ours is just coming up for 16,000 miles after 15 months of ownership and car is asking for service according to mileage, not age. BMW will not service the vehicle on the plan if car isn't asking for a service.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:09 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

At the two year point the car will need an inspection, an oil change and a brake fluid change. Given the labour rates the cost of oil and hydraulic fluid, the quote you have been given will see you getting close to breaking even. See if you can twist their arm for a lower quote.

No matter what you pay them, BMW still only give them the same monies for the servic.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:47 AM   #6
bjp1979
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far all.

In response to the above, why a diesel... I don't have much of a choice about diesel - they're all diesels in the U.K. X3s.

I have been car on a 4 year PCP but will likely hand it back after 3 years so chances are it will only be services once in that time. One thing my dealer has mentioned is that it covers MOT but again, this will only be due after 3 years which is when I will likely be handing back the car for something else anyway (hopefully with a bit of equity).

The message I'm getting is not to bother with the service plan and just pay the service on an ad hoc basis when it's due..?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp1979 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far all.

In response to the above, why a diesel... I don't have much of a choice about diesel - they're all diesels in the U.K. X3s.

I have been car on a 4 year PCP but will likely hand it back after 3 years so chances are it will only be services once in that time. One thing my dealer has mentioned is that it covers MOT but again, this will only be due after 3 years which is when I will likely be handing back the car for something else anyway (hopefully with a bit of equity).

The message I'm getting is not to bother with the service plan and just pay the service on an ad hoc basis when it's due..?
@bjp1979

I was also a little surprised to see the question of why a diesel given that you are about to pickup the vehicle and that the X3 (F25) only comes in diesel in the UK. Perhaps he is questioning your original decision, but if you want a later F25 X3, then then as you say.......all diesels.

I run the 3 litre X3 xDrive30d MSport and the question of why you should buy a diesel appears to be that it is assumed that low mileage users are doing short runs and that the diesel particulate filter (dpf) will suffer. I have run diesels (Audi, VW and BMW since 1991) and I have always gained on the resale value at trade in because private buyers are willing to pay more for them. I do the same mileage as you do but it is always on long runs, so dpf clogging up is not an issue.

As far as the dealer covering the MOT! I am not sure why he said that. You will have to pay for it anyway. My dealer called in my vehicle for an inspection just before the 3 year MOT point (6 weeks ago) saying anything needing sorting out would be done under warranty. The MOT is called up in the iDrive as an inspection anyway and if anticipated by several weeks then you are covered.

At the price you have been quoted, I would take the deal. There again that is me and others might have a different view. Also your circumstances might change and mileage might go up and you might keep the car longer.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #8
bjp1979
Private
Rep

Hi Peter

Good point about the possibility of my mileage changing. I am under an 8000 a year limit under the finance agreement, which provides me with a buffer on what I've averaged over the past 3 years (around 19k miles on a company car). I have no intention of changing jobs or moving house, so can't see that changing any time soon. I do like the idea of everything being 'all in' with my monthly payment, but at the same time don't want to be paying for something I'm scarecely going to use... it's a difficult one as I can see the pros and cons of going for it/not going for it.

I went slightly over budget with this car on deposit and monthly repayments (was dicked about by a leasing company on an X1 which mysteriously disappeared and ended up getting sold to someone else on the week I was supposed to collect it). so am managing any additional spend quite carefully at the moment. I have also been advised to get gap cover via an online broker.

Tricky decision this!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjp1979 View Post
I have also been advised to get gap cover via an online broker.
Tricky decision this!
It is all down to the perceived risk. I went with gapinsurance123 more than three years ago and it does not expire until September 2017...

https://gapinsurance123.co.uk/?gclid...gNsaAnX18P8HAQ

I purchased a policy in 2012 that I transferred from my F31 320d Sport to the current X3. An excellent product at a very good price. It covered me for 3 years after the first year of ownership. If yours is a new car, your insurance company has to cover you for the first year and then the GAP insurance kicks in. However you have to purchase the cover when you first get the new car. Strange system but that is the way it is done.

Several of us recently had letters to say there was a problem with solvency, but when one of the forum members contacted them to cancel the policy, he was advised there was not a problem and it remained in force because the underwriters covered the policy or words to that effect. Looking at the site, they are doing business as usual. They are considered the best around. I cannot vouch for that because I have not written a car off.

So if you want GAP insurance it is worth talking to them. They are far cheaper (50% of the price) than the BMW offering that is with a different broker and of course there is the BMW mark up.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
Flipflop99
Private
Rep

@bjp1979

My question about why a diesel was exactly as Peter suggests. I thought you might look at something other than a BMW as you rightly point out, a diesel is your only option with BMW SUV in the UK. My main reason for asking is again, exactly as Peter states, problems with dpf filters clogging with short journeys. However, if the car sits for a few days then does a long journey - not a problem. Also, if you only intend on keeping the car for 3 years, this won't affect you as your warranty would cover 3 years ownership and I doubt the dpf would present a problem in that time.

I can also recommend gap insurance 123. BMW will charge you double for the cover they will give.

The service plan does indeed cover the first MOT due after 3 years so that's worth about £50.

Finally, I'd just like to say that I'm pretty sure you will enjoy X3 ownership. The quality and depth of ability are second to none and both my wife and I have loved using the car. You have made a great choice!

Last edited by Flipflop99; 12-06-2016 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Emoji didn't work so deleted it and forgot about MOT point.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #11
bjp1979
Private
Rep

Many thanks - looking forward to getting the car. It's a carbon black 20d m-Sport auto.

I'm moving up from a manual VW golf mk7.

Bit nervous about parking something much bigger at the moment... especially in those situations where it's the end space next to the concrete pillar in the multi storey (although sensors will help).

It's also my first automatic car!

Back to my original post, still not sure whether this 5 year service plan is worth it!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Flipflop99
Private
Rep

You need someone to tell you what the first service will cost and I can't help you there. Perhaps call your dealership's service dept and ask them?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
bjp1979
Private
Rep

They've (the dealer) quoted £280 - £350 depending on how it comes in and what the service team deem needs to be done
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
Flipflop99
Private
Rep

That's a lot more than I was expecting! Perhaps I am changing my view on the value of the service plan. Maybe it is worth it after all?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I am pissed of by BMW not issuing a service book/plan -I don't buy the "electronic computation" of the need based on driving habit - I want a service book/plan.

Since I don't get one, I have made one by myself- based on service need for SAAB, for which I worked for many years.

I am also on a low mileage run - due to two cars.

I will change engine oil/filter every two years. Brake fluid every four years - BMW recommend three years and then every two years, which in my experience is bull.

Spark plugs after 100.000 km - I will likely not reach that.

Cabin filter and engine air filter every two years.

I will not change any transmission oil.

When free service is over and done with, I will use nearby ex-BMW mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #16
bjp1979
Private
Rep

Thanks - I'm not that disciplined with regard to things like that unfortunately. As I'm only keeping the car for 3 years it's just a case of whether I'm best off with the 5 year service pack or the single service
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
Flipflop99
Private
Rep

@Tjalle

I agree with you 100%
How does anyone buying second hand, check if the car has been properly maintained? They have to trust a BMW sales rep! I would never trust any print out or electronic proof as I would say it can be easily fabricated. Nothing like a good old fashioned service book.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #18
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflop99 View Post
@Tjalle

I agree with you 100%
How does anyone buying second hand, check if the car has been properly maintained? They have to trust a BMW sales rep! I would never trust any print out or electronic proof as I would say it can be easily fabricated. Nothing like a good old fashioned service book.
In the UK that is the VERY reason why they went to electronic proof of servicing. You could go to dealers in the 1960s and 70s and have old fashioned service book given to you. This could happen with any manufacturer. Be it BMW, VW etc etc.

I purchased a Hillman Avenger that appeared to have the book missing and they advised it was still with the company director. It arrived through the post two weeks later. Some months later I had a puncture, and when I took the spare wheel out lurking underneath was the original book. There was a discrepancy of 20,000 miles.

The electronic way is by far the best and least able to be fiddled with.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:07 PM   #19
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflop99 View Post
@Tjalle

I agree with you 100%
The bmw system to record the services electronically is very complicated and very difficult to fix. I know this as my previous car they were not doing it, so 2 services later they had the car 4 days to actually update it.

I much prefer that than a paper book which can be easily forged.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #20
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

I took the service pack, as I will do the 50k in the time I have the car. I did get a invoice print of the first service which was billed at £360ish.

I'm currently on 30k and the car is saying in 3k it'll need its second service.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
bjp1979
Private
Rep

As I will do no more than 8000 miles a year in the 3 years I have the car, I should be well under the mileage required for a second service. Therefore, would you agree I'm better off without the 5 year plan and just paying the one off charge?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #22
bjp1979
Private
Rep

Before I tell the dealer I'll leave it on the 5 year plan, does anyone have any further thoughts?
Appreciate 0