BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Front looks quite cool. Back looks plain ridiculous IMO. Like someone sat on it. Would have concerns over its reliability and it's too small so doesn't even get considered in my case.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

The evoque is very much a consideration for me due to size. My wife does not like big cars yet the X1 isn't suitable for my purposes. It has very limited ability off road due to clearance. While the X3 is better in that respect I feel the Evoque is better suited to light off road duties which will see us getting to biking and camping spots. The X3 will be better on road and we love our driving so until the evoque gets a test we'll be waiting. I suspect it's a case of swings and roundabouts.

I love the styling, it's not a ladies car. The X3 has worn a bit thin for me in looks for some reason. I would have concerns over reliability of the evoque. However for value I think the X3 wins definitely. Better engines, better performance and better standard features. But it's a bit big considering we are coming from a small car.

I think it will be case of how big is the boot on the evoque and will it drive well enough on road to be a serious contender.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #25
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I'll join in the chorus here - its too small!!! The Evoque is a "compact" SUV (ie think X1 & coming Q3) while the X3 is a "mid-sized" SUV (ie Q5/XC60 etc) - in my mind two differentent classes of vehicle.

Then there are the engines - no comparison against the potential of the 30d and 35i in the X3.

Based on Australian prices - If you are seriously interested in the Evoque - save yourselve a fair bit of money and get a Freelander 2. The Evoque is just a FL2 in drag.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #26
Filski
Private
Rep

Oh and just to get one gripe out of the way... The BMW comes in DSB, black, white and various shades of grey. Vermillion isn't really red or brown but somewhere in between.

If the red on the evoque as as good as it looks in photos....
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Oh and just to get one gripe out of the way... The BMW comes in DSB, black, white and various shades of grey. Vermillion isn't really red or brown but somewhere in between.

If the red on the evoque as as good as it looks in photos....
Reminds me of a Douglas Adams quote.
A panel of Golgafringhams are trying to design the Wheel...
One interior decorator says to the designer
"Never mind that, what colour should it be?"

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #28
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Seems like early gearbox issues on the evoque

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
Filski
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post

Reminds me of a Douglas Adams quote.
A panel of Golgafringhams are trying to design the Wheel...
One interior decorator says to the designer
"Never mind that, what colour should it be?"
Lol I know the X3 is a marvel of engineering but did they get to choose the colours as well!?!!

If I could get the x3 in the M3 green or orange.... The green would be hot!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #30
DEVM
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3-35d 2012

Just check this Evoque review:

- Very small "letterbox" rear window
- "take the manual gear"
- "this automatic gearbox can be sluggish to respond"

Compare that to the BMW..

And i really hate the look of the front panel / instruments. The board computer has an "eighties look" to me. Nothing modern here.

I agree with the other comments: the evoque is to compare with the BMW x1 and Audi Q3. The outside looks rather nice, but will date real soon.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by DEVM; 11-08-2011 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: fix
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #31
DEVM
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: X3-35d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I wouldn't say the Evoque is superior to the X3 at all...

It has a Ford 4 cylinder engine making 240HP and a 6 speed transmission. The base engine in the X3 also has 240HP but you can get a peppy 300HP engine. Both engines in the X3 come with ZF's brilliant 8 speed auto. Also, the 240HP X3 does the 0-60 almost 1/2 second faster despite being a larger and heavier car.

The nav screen in the X3 is much higher quality than the Evoque (screen size and resolution). The top view / side view / rear view features are much more useful.

The interior of the X3 seems much more classy to me, although the Range Rover look is distinct and appeals to some people.

The X3 is almost certainly more reliable than the Evoque.

After configuring a Evoque the price seems on par with the X3 despite having far fewer available options.

Plus the Evoque doesn't seem very practical... It seems like a 2 person SUV thing.
+1

I agree 100%
      11-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #32
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Thank you all for your comments, have renewed the confidence in the X3 purchase!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #33
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Watching a few reviews it certainly seems well rated and find myself warming to it

It would be nice to have leather clad dash in the x3 like the rr & jag and that is a proper panoramo roof unlike the x3 with the middle bar

Looking at a UK evoqueownersclub.co.uk forum there seems to be several converts (most coming from 3 series)

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 11-09-2011 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #34
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Requested a brochure for toilet reading

The couple Ive sat alongside at traffic lights have both given me the feeling that they are looking at me in the X3 thinking I should have buyers regret and they are somewhat superior

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #35
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

What's your friend going to drive when the Evoque is in the shop for repairs?
Afterall, it is a Range Rover.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #36
ppb
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

It looks small.
Before we started looking at cars we really liked the look of Q5. We go to check it out...what a disappointment. For such a big car it was very small inside. It just wasn't worth compromising. Evoque looks quite small as well.
I recently saw Sabb x94...looks interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVM View Post
Just check this Evoque review:

- Very small "letterbox" rear window
- "take the manual gear"
- "this automatic gearbox can be sluggish to respond"

Compare that to the BMW..

And i really hate the look of the front panel / instruments. The board computer has an "eighties look" to me. Nothing modern here.

I agree with the other comments: the evoque is to compare with the BMW x1 and Audi Q3. The outside looks rather nice, but will date real soon.

Good luck with your choice.
The side profile with these alloys and in this colour looks awful IMO (youtube picture). Can't put my finger on why but it looks infinitely better with bigger and better alloys and in lighter colours. The back is still a major fail in any colour. And when the guy stands next to it I think wow, he must be a giant!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #38
Filski
Private
Rep

Did a back to back comparison today (X3 20D as its the only fair comparison).

Comment from my wife sums it up "I wish the evoque drove like the X3"

Interior much nicer on the evoque, equal cabin room - really! Better finishes overall and makes the X3 seem a bit plain. Cargo space is 10cm longer on the X3 too for those that need it. Acceleration is identical. But the BMW is far far far better handling on road at least - goes around corners on rails and responds to some spirited driving. But off road the evoque is much better.

And yes the red is as good as the photos - take note BMW, not everyone want black white or grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:03 AM   #39
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

You didn't sit in the back then......
      11-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #40
Filski
Private
Rep

With the sunroof? Yes... Yes I did. It is a thing of beauty, but you don't really get to enjoy it whilst driving.

I'm torn between the 2. Still a bit to wait before choosing though. Darn this GFC2.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #41
Falconx3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Sure the X3 isn't as pretty but it will age and mature better.
Isn't Pretty? I hear this so often and is baffling. I think this car, SAV whatever you call it, cuts a striking silhouette. They nailed it -elegance, with BMW tradition, conservative, yet different enough from the pack. The X3 looks gorgeous from every side. This car nails it and will stand up visually for years to come. No cartoonish Japanese geometry, no bulbous Yankee tackiness, or over styled trendiness.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #42
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did a back to back comparison today (X3 20D as its the only fair comparison).

Comment from my wife sums it up "I wish the evoque drove like the X3"

Interior much nicer on the evoque, equal cabin room - really! Better finishes overall and makes the X3 seem a bit plain. Cargo space is 10cm longer on the X3 too for those that need it. Acceleration is identical. But the BMW is far far far better handling on road at least - goes around corners on rails and responds to some spirited driving. But off road the evoque is much better.

And yes the red is as good as the photos - take note BMW, not everyone want black white or grey.
As you've stated, your comparison was with the X3 20d. You really need to test the Evoque against the 30d. By the time you've optioned up all cars so you have an apples.vs.apples comparison, the 30d isn't really that much more expensive. And when you've combined that performance with the handling, the 30d has it all over any 4 (or 5) cylinder diesel offerings - including the 20d.

Agree with you're comments re colours - the X3 doesn't have a great range of colours. No doubt I'll be shouted down, but the several AW X3s I've seen have looked very bland. We ended up with the bluewater but gave serious consideration to the vermilion red.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #43
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
But off road the evoque is much better.
Sorry - one other point. When you say the Evoque is better off-road, did you actually test it "off-road" or are you just repeating what the salesman/reviews has told you? Also - one of my favourite topics - what do you define as "off-road"?

Of the 5,000km I've done so far, probably 400-500km of that has been on unsealed dirt or gravel roads. Both the ride and handling/steering has been very good (albeit on conventional tyres rather than the OEM runflats) with perhaps my only complaint being how quickly the rear window gets dusted up. I do not consider this to be off-road driving.

If you are talking about real off-road driving (4-wheel drive tracks, beach driving, paddocks etc), then yes the Evoque/Freelander 2 would comfortably have it over the X3.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:30 PM   #44
Filski
Private
Rep

That's true but my budget is only for the 20D with a few options, and to be honest I'd lose my license in a month with the 30D. The performance of the evoque is the same as the 20D. There is no question if i could afford the 30D that the performance is a clear winner. The only way I can get a 30D is by purchasing a demo, which means not getting the setup I want - and that is something I'm not prepared to compromise on.

Looking at it that way the Evoque is slightly better value as it comes with leather, 8" screen, rear camera, pano roof and xenons for the same price as a 20D with leatherette, no pano roof, but performance control and dynamic dampers. But the trade off is comfort over driving dynamics.

No clear winner at this engine level.
Appreciate 0