BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-19-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Variable Damper Control Option

Configuring my next X3 and the only criticism I have with my current one is the firm ride, reviews recommend opting for the Variable Damper Control. On the configurator the VDC option shows an image of the toggle switch (eco, comfort, sport) which I already have on my X3 and the following statement

"The Dynamic Damper Control makes it possible to ideally adjust the damper characteristics to suit any given driving situation, improving comfort and driving dynamics. In addition to the standard COMFORT setting, which minimises bumps and other unpleasant vehicle movements, there are two other programs available: the SPORT and SPORT+ modes. In these modes, the dampers are automatically tightened to allow for a sportier driving style"

My question is this - does VDC simply give you the addition of SPORT+ mode? My understanding is that my X3 has performance drive control at present hence the 3 settings, how does VDC improve on this? Answers on a postcard...
      09-19-2016, 03:51 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

A bit of confusion.

Vehicle Dynamic Control=VDC, controls your vehicle not to get into a slide
Dynamic Damper Control= two settings- soft and firm on dampers.

Sport+ means the VDC allows more spin and sliding= more fun

Sport activates - when available: firm settings on dampers, tighter steering, more aggressive AUTO and throttle.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #3
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Now I am confused, VDC according to BMW is Vehicle Damper Control not Vehicle Dynamic Control as you state?
      09-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

OK - letīs try again:
-most modern cars have a system which prevents/protects vehicle from getting into a slide. That system is "taken out" or reduced in function when Sport+, allowing more sliding.

The optional two way dampers are in "soft" setting in Comfort and in stiff setting in Sport and Sport+.

Two way dampers are optional and you should buy them.

The "anti slide" - known generally as Vehicle Dynamic Control is standard.

Since Midlands is loaded with testtracks/racing circuits you should do a testdrive - preferrably on one of your - not so rare -wet days.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
f4780y
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
My question is this - does VDC simply give you the addition of SPORT+ mode? My understanding is that my X3 has performance drive control at present hence the 3 settings, how does VDC improve on this? Answers on a postcard...
To answer your question Smithy, no, that's not what it gives you.

The Electronic Damper Control (EDC) is the name of the option you are talking about in the UK - (not Variable Damper Control).

I have it on my X4. It does as the description you coped above says, and provides a different ride for each of the modes listed automatically when you switch mode. The simplest way to describe it is that ECO and Comfort get the standard ride set-up, whilst Sport and Sport+ get a noticeably stiffer ride.
I would suggest that if you are looking for a soft ride, this option does NOT provide anything which is softer than the standard setup. What it does do is provide a much more sporty and stiffer ride when in Sport or Sport+ mode.

The modes still exist in a car without the EDC option, but when they are activated there is no change made to the stiffness of the suspension / ride (other things still happen - e.g. in Sport+, the traction control is minimised, etc.)

Hope that helps.
2001 E46 330i M54 | Orient Blue
1995 E36 318ti Compact Sport M42 | Red
Appreciate 0